Hey all,

I'll be traveling to Bermuda next week for one week. I'm just wondering what my options are.

I only require voice services during my stay there. I'm just wondering what my options are. I do realize that there is international roaming for $2/min. Are there cheaper alternatives?

I have a BB 9530 Storm (unlocked). I've done some research...so far I have Digicel and M3 as possible options. They have prepaid services, but there is limited information on their site. Their prepaid plans, to my understanding, do not allowing for international dialing (back to the US). For that, I will need to buy an additional calling card. Too much of a hassle if you ask me.

I only need the phone to call home and girlfriend. There would be no long conversations. No data services needed. Just need to tell them I'm safe and I'm well.

All in all, I just have the following questions:

1) What is the best and most economical option? Prepaid vs. international roaming?
    2) I will be traveling on the cruise, according to VZW, they provide service on the ship that I'm traveling on. Do I need to call them to activate the international service?

Any advice and input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    05-11-09 12:05 AM
    I would pay verizon for the global data package and email them rather than calling, its a rip-off. you will not have data coverage on the ship, but it will pick up whatever carrier is on the island. You can pro-rate the package, so its like $2.00 a day or somethin like that. I just did that for a cruise to the bahams and it worked great. But if you have to call...you are going to pay 2-3 a minute. I dont have any info on 3rd party sim cards though...sorry.
    05-11-09 12:38 PM
    Will definitely look into that. thanks!
    05-11-09 10:23 PM
    You could also look into skype or any other VoIP services, it is a lot cheaper then paying $134515319414 a day for phone coverage.

(DISCLAIMER: ESTIMATED AMOUNT MAY BE EXAGGERATED.)
    05-11-09 10:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD