Well, while I was out fishing this weekend, (which almost turned out disasterous, but that's another story for somewhere out of the public scope) my phone got rained on...poured on rather. Like its raining so hard you can't see 50 yards hard. This was only for a few minutes while I was making phone calls to make sure everything was ok, but it got wet enough to cause some damage. I dried it out quite a bit, but when you push the trackball, it doesn't register. Anyone have any ideas short of replacing the phone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-27-09 10:44 PM
    while on the surface it might look like it is dry, it probably isn't fully dry. My suggestion is place the phone in plastic bag full of rice and let dry overnight. Go to Youtube and do a search on subject. I recall seeing it and even here on CB people have mention that it works.
    09-27-09 11:04 PM
    Hopefully the rice trick works. I know that awhile ago i was having trackball issues myself (no rain). They (warranty) checked a small sticker, very small sticker that is in battery compartment. it is supposed to be white, its moisture sensitive. if its not white then no warranty...good luck
    09-27-09 11:09 PM
    It may be time to get happy with a TP2, Jim.

09-27-09 11:56 PM
    Hopefully the rice trick works. I know that awhile ago i was having trackball issues myself (no rain). They (warranty) checked a small sticker, very small sticker that is in battery compartment. it is supposed to be white, its moisture sensitive. if its not white then no warranty...good luck
    Neither water indicator (battery or phone) is tripped... I don't want to turn it in to warranty, cause I don't feel right about it, as its not a warranty issue
    09-28-09 08:58 AM
    Do you have insurance? If you are feeling guilty knowing its not a warrenty issue. You can contact Asurian ( dont be a hater Twinz I know how you feel )
    and do a replacement this way. Insurance exists for water damage and loss or stolen issues. You would get phone; battery; cover; and charger.

On that note; I would try the rice trick as well; I've tried it on GIN phones in the past and it wooorks.
    Whatever you do though. DONT put it in a toaster oven...
    09-28-09 09:28 AM
    IF the water indicator isn't indicating water damage.....

I had a problem with my trackball. Took it into a Verizon store. In two minutes they put a new one in at no charge - and my phone is nine months old.
    09-28-09 11:32 AM
    It's not fully dry, like jrod said put it in a bag of rice with the battery out and the flip in the open position.
    09-28-09 11:33 AM
    Neither water indicator (battery or phone) is tripped... I don't want to turn it in to warranty, cause I don't feel right about it, as its not a warranty issue
    Those 2 never really turn red. Pop the trackball out. There is another indicator under there towards the screen. If your phione got poured on, it'll be red.
    09-28-09 11:57 AM
    Never knew about the one behind the TB. Its tripped.

09-28-09 12:20 PM
    Never knew about the one behind the TB. Its tripped.

That's the one that we always check. It's a dead giveaway.

The ones under the battery cover and on the battery itself are real hard to trip. Not much short of putting it in a bowl of water will turn those.
    09-28-09 01:07 PM
    A problem is that normal use - perspiration & such - can trigger the color change on the trackball.

09-28-09 01:34 PM
    A problem is that normal use - perspiration & such - can trigger the color change on the trackball.

Very true, but if it reaches there then it can mess up some of the electronics.
    09-28-09 02:10 PM
    That I will vouch for - just wanted to give folks a heads up that their own natural functions could void their warranties - the moisture damage exclusion is set by the manufacturers & not the carriers.

So no matter what caused it - it isn't your cell company's fault.

09-28-09 04:38 PM
    My bf got his wet to by accident. He was out doing a direct tv install and it started raining. He had his in shirt pocket and it got a bit damp. He took it into the store to have it looked at cause the trackball was getting stuck badly. The rep didnt even check it for water damage. But he was 3 days past his 30 days having it. She went ahead and swapped it cause she said the trackball getting stuck was a known issue with the Tour. She took a marker and wrote DOA on the box she put his old phone in and gave him a brand new one. He was happy.
    09-28-09 11:28 PM
    So....... My phone seems to be more dry than it was this afternoon, however the trackball still hasn't gained full functionality. On a side note, did you know that if you don't put the battery door back on the phone when putting it in rice, it can double as a baby rattle when you take it out? :facepalm:

09-29-09 01:15 AM
    For you, Jim.

09-29-09 01:50 AM
    No wait - I must do better by you - a little more effort...
    09-29-09 02:30 AM
    That's the one that we always check. It's a dead giveaway.

The ones under the battery cover and on the battery itself are real hard to trip. Not much short of putting it in a bowl of water will turn those.
    No, thats the one i always check and then bust your balls for swapping a wet phone out :P
    09-29-09 04:01 PM
    No, thats the one i always check and then bust your balls for swapping a wet phone out :P
    Case by case basis chico.
    09-30-09 03:12 PM
    That Mr. Chico Huervo to you.
    09-30-09 03:14 PM
    No wait - I must do better by you - a little more effort...
    LMFAO ..... Thanks dad
    09-30-09 06:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD