Does anyone know if the Alltel tower in Kenner, LA has been completely converted to Verizon so the VZW features such as visual voice mail and others will work with former Alltel numbers that are packed in that tower?

Thanks in advance.
    01-22-10 08:39 PM
    If you are keeping your AllTel plan, vvm will not work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-10 04:26 PM
    If you are keeping your AllTel plan, vvm will not work.

lol what?!

Anyway.. OP you will have to wait until the voicemail platform in your area converts. If you got a vzw plan before this it is not going to help. I will get you an eta on that conversion.

01-24-10 08:16 PM
    lol what?!

Anyway.. OP you will have to wait until the voicemail platform in your area converts. If you got a vzw plan before this it is not going to help. I will get you an eta on that conversion.

Thanks. We live in this general area and one of our numbers with ATT may need to switch to VZW since my daughter is moving. As it happens, her number was originally an Alltel number and if ported would run out of that tower. I'm not sure, but I believe there are a couple of other things that may not work also. From my understanding, the Alltel system was relatively simple in wireless terms.

I appreciate the extra step of offering an ETA.
    01-24-10 08:27 PM
    If you port from ATT to VZW, then everything will work since it will be loaded into a VZW switch and voicemail platform - doesn't matter what tower you are using. For example: If I brought my VZW phone there I would be able to use the same tower and have visual voicemail and full function of VZW features.

Alltel used the same technology and such actually. If anything Alltel was harder to troubleshoot since it wasn't as well put together as vzws.

01-24-10 08:41 PM
    You might also want to consider youmail Visual Voicemail For Your Phone | YouMail, which is a good alternative to VVM AND it's free.
    01-24-10 09:02 PM
    You might also want to consider youmail Visual Voicemail For Your Phone | YouMail, which is a good alternative to VVM AND it's free.
    Thanks, I'll point it out to her. There may be an issue or two with that too since it depends on conditional call forwarding.

Bottom line is she may have to bite the bullet since she is a single mom on a tight budget and make the switch. She doesn't have a landline, depends on her cell and is moving to a rural area 15 minutes from me. ATT doesn't have good service where she is. Not to bash ATT, the only providers with any service out there are ATT and VZW. Oddly enough the service is reversed where I am.

I do appreciate the information and assistance I've been getting here.
    01-25-10 08:47 AM
    If you port from ATT to VZW, then everything will work since it will be loaded into a VZW switch and voicemail platform - doesn't matter what tower you are using. For example: If I brought my VZW phone there I would be able to use the same tower and have visual voicemail and full function of VZW features.

Alltel used the same technology and such actually. If anything Alltel was harder to troubleshoot since it wasn't as well put together as vzws.

Let me be dumb here and ask one more question. Would this be so even though her number was originally an Alltel # years ago?
    01-25-10 08:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD