Hi Folks,

Had a meeting with my Verizon sales rep today, and she brought me a Tour to play with. She ended up leaving it with me to try for a few days. One of the first things I did was download and install Google maps. First time I ran it I was a little dissappointed that hitting zero to show my location gave me the "Your location with 1800 meters" message. Then I walked out of my brick enclosed office, and hit zero again. BOOM! No more "withing 1800 meters", it was the actual real location. Now it shows within 10 meters, and if I go all the way outside I think it was less. Might have still been 10 meters. Took it with me to lunch, and it updates the location while moving too. The BB maps app is about the same as it is on my Pearl with 4.5.77 firmware. Overall this is a very nice device. If anyone wants to know specific things about it, just ask and I will try out features and give you an answer.
    07-10-09 01:37 PM
    Yes will work for you - GPS is open on this device.

THank you for the feedback- I have had fellow management where I work playing with thie device for about month now and the feedback has been great. Enjoy it.
    07-10-09 01:40 PM
    Hi Folks,

Had a meeting with my Verizon sales rep today, and she brought me a Tour to play with. She ended up leaving it with me to try for a few days. One of the first things I did was download and install Google maps. First time I ran it I was a little dissappointed that hitting zero to show my location gave me the "Your location with 1800 meters" message. Then I walked out of my brick enclosed office, and hit zero again. BOOM! No more "withing 1800 meters", it was the actual real location. Now it shows within 10 meters, and if I go all the way outside I think it was less. Might have still been 10 meters. Took it with me to lunch, and it updates the location while moving too. The BB maps app is about the same as it is on my Pearl with 4.5.77 firmware. Overall this is a very nice device. If anyone wants to know specific things about it, just ask and I will try out features and give you an answer.
    That's great to hear! I always wanted an unlocked GPS. A couple of questions:

How loud are the ring tones on this device compared to the Curve?

How loud is the speakerphone on this device?
    07-10-09 04:09 PM
    How loud are the ring tones on this device compared to the Curve?
    Ever so slightly louder. Most won't notice the difference.

How loud is the speakerphone on this device?
    Again, slightly better than Curve & Curve2, slightly less than Bold. To be honest, BlackBerrys have unusable squawkboxes, not speakerphones.

Toss in the more recessed trackball, which makes it harder to scroll - plus the fact it even still has a troublesome trackball & the still present lag that can't keep up with my typing speed - it is a device I wouldn't want for my personal use.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-09 05:16 PM
    Toss in the more recessed trackball, which makes it harder to scroll - plus the fact it even still has a troublesome trackball & the still present lag that can't keep up with my typing speed - it is a device I wouldn't want for my personal use.

Yeah, it really should have been shipped with the trackpad.
    07-10-09 05:20 PM
    Yeah, it really should have been shipped with the trackpad.
    I like the stupid trackball just fine. Until it fails, which is sometimes in as little as a month. Easy to replace but they fail at the worst time. Besides, who wants to buy a drawer full of replacement trackballs?

07-10-09 06:33 PM
    & the still present lag that can't keep up with my typing speed - it is a device I wouldn't want for my personal use.

Wow, how can you handle your curve then?

My curve can't keep up with me either. I never had that problem with my 8900, I figured surely the Tour would be similar to the 8900 in speed and overall stability. It has considerable more memory then the 83xx.
    07-10-09 07:57 PM
    Wow, how can you handle your curve then?

My curve can't keep up with me either. I never had that problem with my 8900, I figured surely the Tour would be similar to the 8900 in speed and overall stability. It has considerable more memory then the 83xx.
    The Curve is really bad - I type, then have to go back to add the stuff it completely skipped. The Tours I've been playing with haven't been quite as bad, but they would still add the occasional return/start new line or miss parts of words.

I get better results typing into MemoPad, then doing a copy/paste.

I think it is a memory management issue, as I have plenty of free memory - the Saga I have doesn't have this issue, even with an active spell-check. The Omnia, I won't pass judgement on, as I can't do squat on a touchscreen. Either my fingers are too big, there or too much electrical energy in me or I am just too old - touchscreens frustrate me to the point I want to slam the phone against hard surfaces. I did actually destroy a Storm, because of issues.

Waiting on the WinMo 6.5 Omnia Pro. So far, it looks great.

07-11-09 01:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD