My Tour bricked today 2 weeks after I downloaded the official 5.0. I now have a new phone. Sucks
    04-11-10 05:59 PM
    Bricked how? With what error? More details please.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-10 06:01 PM
    A white screen that said something like your phone has experienced an unrepairable error please return phone to place of purchase.

CSR said there is a fail rate of 1%. All the employees are using 4.7 on their phones. They gave me a new phone with 4.7.
    Last edited by keperkey; 04-11-10 at 06:09 PM. Reason: typo
    04-11-10 06:06 PM
    Take a look at this thread. Feel free to post your experience there too!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/te...-error-444965/

04-11-10 06:08 PM
    ...CSR said there is a fail rate of 1%.
    A 1% failure rate doesn't sound too bad, until you consider that if the electric power grid was only up 99% of the time, we'd have 88 hours a year of blackout.
    04-11-10 06:43 PM
    A 1% failure rate doesn't sound too bad, until you consider that if the electric power grid was only up 99% of the time, we'd have 88 hours a year of blackout.
    Fail rate period, is unacceptable. I hope they fix this update soon, I'm sick of the calls. I was lucky enough to not have major issues (except browser click and MMS songs after a call) but bricking phones is ridiculous.
    04-11-10 06:50 PM
    I don't know if Verizon has a 6-sigma program or not, but if they do, and if that 1% number is accurate, somebody is going nuts over it by now.
    04-11-10 06:54 PM
    Is VZW just throwing those bricked BlackBerry phones in a pile? Or are they going through them trying to figure out what caused the error? Or are they just downgrading them to 4.7 and shipping them out for warranty replacements?

04-11-10 06:59 PM
    I'm curious to know (if anyone knows) if people with a "brick" phone did their update via OTA or DM. I know I did my update via OTA and had no hang ups as some have mentioned, but the locking issue of the phone and browsing clicking issue were enough to have me return to the previous official version.

I also had some problems the Bluetooth a few times (cutting in and out) so that was my final straw for returning.
    04-11-10 07:31 PM
    Fail rate period, is unacceptable. I hope they fix this update soon, I'm sick of the calls. I was lucky enough to not have major issues (except browser click and MMS songs after a call) but bricking phones is ridiculous.
    I had the same issue. Once, I wiped the phone, I was good.
    04-11-10 07:42 PM
    Actually they are refurbishing them and sending them out with 5.0 OS on them

Is VZW just throwing those bricked BlackBerry phones in a pile? Or are they going through them trying to figure out what caused the error? Or are they just downgrading them to 4.7 and shipping them out for warranty replacements?

04-11-10 07:44 PM
    I'm curious to know (if anyone knows) if people with a "brick" phone did their update via OTA or DM. I know I did my update via OTA and had no hang ups as some have mentioned, but the locking issue of the phone and browsing clicking issue were enough to have me return to the previous official version.

I also had some problems the Bluetooth a few times (cutting in and out) so that was my final straw for returning.
    DM for me.
    04-11-10 07:50 PM
    only phones so far bricking are the ones who updated through Desktop Manager.

everyone who updated through OTA have not had the problem I'm told by Verizon. I updated through desktop manager and my phone also bricked itself
    04-12-10 07:45 AM
    Here is a user reporting the Technical Error who upgraded OTA: http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/po...-files-452552/
    04-12-10 01:06 PM
    Ok I had to call Verizon about another situation and she asked me if I had downloaded the new OS I told her I had and then two days later downgraded to the 4.7
    The rep told me they are getting a lot of complaints and they are well aware their customers are not happy. She told me they are working on a resolution to the problem. I hope she is right and she wasn't just pacifying me.
    04-12-10 01:13 PM
    I don't know if Verizon has a 6-sigma program or not, but if they do, and if that 1% number is accurate, somebody is going nuts over it by now.
    Amen to that.

As JeffH already pointed out, I got the Tech Issue yesterday after updating OTA (~4 days). Could be that the OTA issue is only beginning to surface, as I didnt get the ota notification to upgrade to OS5 until last Thursday.
    04-12-10 05:34 PM
    uhm, my phone bricked yesterday when i did the OTA to 5.0 on march 30th. my boyfriends bricked last week, also OTA, and did the OTA again on his refurb. they gave me a new one today and said to wait, or download 5.0 through DM. i did.

so far so good, but can i just say i'm NERVOUS about using my phone now? this is ridiculous. by the way, my boyfriend and i were both on a webpage (native browser) when our phones vibrated and showed up with the "technical error..." message.
    04-12-10 07:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD