I think I've narrowed it down to the Touch Envy for my wife. It looks like it has some favorable reviews. Anybody have this phone and if you do can it hook into gmail. From the brochure it only mentions a few other email services but not gmail. How well will it do calender and contacts and will I be able to sync our calendars if I have a blackberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-12-09 02:12 PM
    Yes you can have gmail on the device though OZ mail (mobile email). This is a media center application. This will not support attachements though. As far the ability to sync like a BB, this is not going to happen. The device can use backup assistant (another media center application) and the service fee is waived if you have a my account online. This will not back up your calendar though, just contacts. There maybe 3rd party applications that may do the calendar though. You will check into those though.
    06-12-09 03:30 PM
    My girlfriend has the touch envy and LOVES it. I think it is a top notch phone....good buy.

06-12-09 03:54 PM
    My girlfriend has the touch envy and LOVES it. I think it is a top notch phone....good buy.
    That it is - both of the new enV phones are a good value. In some cases, they are more capable than BlackBerry, while in others, they aren't quite.

The vast majority of consumers would do better with one of the enV phones instead of a smartphone. Lower monthly, too.

06-12-09 03:59 PM
    Hear hear..
    Had the env2 before my berry and my folks and bf have it. Its nice but Twins is apsolutely right on all his points. Mobile email costs extra monthly like a subcription and I recommend the $15 vpak if u r going to use it this way. Otherwise u have $1.99 per MB rounded up.

06-12-09 05:15 PM
    So basically, if I just use email on my bb. I could switch to another phone and save 15 bucks a month? Does that 15 bucks include the html browser on the EnV?

06-12-09 08:17 PM
    I'm intrigued as well. I love my BB, but if I could save $15 a month, I would seriously consider looking into it. Both of my kids have the first ENV's and they have been good solid phones.

06-13-09 07:39 AM
    here are the specs for the Env Touch...
    Personally.. Comparible... BB doesnt have Backup Assistant ( enless you do google sync ) and doesnt do Chaperone. And my curve doesnt have auto focus.
    Keep in mind... the tether feature for this phone is $59.99 vs $30 for BB's

$15 vpak includes:
    Unlimited basic Video Clips/Access to V CAST
    Mobile Web 2.0
    ESPN MVP
    Unlimited data transport and airtime of Get it Now services
    Unlimited MB (Megabyte) usage
    Application fees apply for all other Get It Now applications, 3-D Games and Premium video clips

• 1xEVDO
    • 3.2 Megapixel Camera & Camcorder with Autofocus, Flash & Image Editor
    • Airplane Mode
    • Bilingual Interface: English/Espanol
    • Camera
    • Chaperone Child
    • Color Effects: Normal, Negative, Aqua, Sepia, Black & White
    • Data Transmission: EVDO Rev A
    • Device Insurance Available: TEC/WPP Advanced Device Tier
    • Document Viewer-read documents in several file formats including .doc, .xls, .ptt, and .pdf
    • Frequency: 1.9 GHz CDMA PCS, 800MHz CDMA
    • HTML Web Browser
    • In Case of Emergency Contacts
    • MP3 Capable
    • Mobile Broadband Connect
    • Music Formats Supported: MP3, WMA,
    unprotected AAC & AAC+
    • Nationwide Premium Plan Capable
    • QWERTY Keyboard
    • Removable Memory - MicroSD (up to 16GB)
    • SAR: Head .932 W/kg, Body 1.00 W/kg
    • Shot Types: Normal, Panorama, Intelligent, Facial Makeover, Smile, NameCard Reader
    • Stylish, functional Design with Dual Screens
    • TTY compatible
    • Text, Picture, Video, and Voice Messaging with Threaded Messaging Feature
    • Touch Screen Vibration for Tactile Feedback
    • USB Mass Storage-Transfer files via microSD card
    • V CAST Video
    • Video Capture & Playback
    • Voice Commands
    • White Balance: Auto, Sunny, Cloudy, Fluorescent, Glow
    • 3.0" Internal Screen & QWERTY Keyboard with Large, Widely Spaced keys for Easy Messaging
    • 3.5mm Headset Jack
    • BT Profiles: Headset, HFP, DUN, Stereo, PBAP, BPP, OPP (vCard & vCal), FTP, BIP, HID
    • Bluetooth (see BT Profiles for details)
    • Camera Resolutions: 2048 x 1536, 1600 x 1200, 1280 x 960, 640 x 480
    • Chaperone Parent
    • Create & Manage Playlists
    • Dedicated Camera/Video Key
    • Device Software Update: Download software upgrades Over-The-Air
    • Embedded Ringtones, Vibrating Alerts & Silent
    • GPS Enabled / E911
    • Hearing Aid Compatibility:M4/T4
    • Large 3" External Touch Screen
    • Media Center: Download Games, Ringtones, & More
    • Mobile Email, Mobile Web Mail, Corporate Email, Mobile IM, Chat, & My Verizon
    • Nationwide Plan Capable Only
    • Phone Book with up to 1500 Entires with Multiple Contacts
    • Rev A Capable
    • Self Timer: Off, 3, 5 or 10 seconds
    • Speakerphone
    • Sync Music from PC to Phone
    • Text to Speech
    • Tools: Calc, Ez Tip Calculator, Calendar, Alarm Clock, Stopwatch, World Clock, Notepad, Drawing Pad
    • Touch screen display
    • V CAST Music with Rhapsody (subscription, wireless and PC downloads)
    • VZNavigator
    • Visual Voice Mail
    • Voicemail

Hope this helps. :-)
    Last edited by heather.law; 06-13-09 at 08:27 AM.
    06-13-09 08:25 AM
    I see they lowered the online price. I'm going to def get this for her as soon as we get our new born home today. It will make it easier for her to mms than her current pink razor.

06-13-09 09:05 AM
    Wow so its $15 cheaper.

06-13-09 09:06 AM
    They sold out of the touch envy's by the time I was able to go online to order.

06-15-09 08:30 AM
    Wow so its $15 cheaper.
    Yes & no. It could be a better savings, depending on what you want.

BlackBerry
    450 Minutes: $39.99
    BlackBerry Data/Email: $29.99
    Unlimited Text Messaging: $20.00
    VZNavigator: $9.99
    Total: $109.97

Non-Smartphones/Advanced Devices
    450 Minute Premium: $79.99
    Data/Email/Unlimited Text/VZNavigator: Included
    Total: $79.99

Difference: $29.98

Per year: $359.76

And if you have a program discount, it comes off the entire premium plan, unlike the BlackBerry/Smartphone plans that may only see the voice component discounted.
    06-15-09 09:05 AM
    Why do I have to upgrade my voice plan to get the Touch Envy?
    06-15-09 10:23 AM
    Yes & no. It could be a better savings, depending on what you want.

BlackBerry
    450 Minutes: $39.99
    BlackBerry Data/Email: $29.99
    Unlimited Text Messaging: $20.00
    VZNavigator: $9.99
    Total: $109.97

Non-Smartphones/Advanced Devices
    450 Minute Premium: $79.99
    Data/Email/Unlimited Text/VZNavigator: Included
    Total: $79.99

Difference: $29.98

Per year: $359.76

And if you have a program discount, it comes off the entire premium plan, unlike the BlackBerry/Smartphone plans that may only see the voice component discounted.
    Right now my total bill is about 105 bucks total, $50 family plan, $10 text, $45 for blackberry.

I'm looking at $70 Nationwide
    Adding the $15 vpak for the Touch Envy
    As I already have the $45 Blackberry for BES
    Plus we each have the 250 text message plan so $10 total.
    Grand total is $140

If i upgrade to the select for 100 i could take off the 10 bucks for texting but still need to add the $15 vpak. 45 for BES.
    Grand total is 160.

I wish I could just keep my Americas Choice plan for $50 then add the other stuff basically VZW wants another $20 bucks per month from me to upgrade to the new phone. Which means this phone will cost me $480 bucks extra on a 2 year plan. Pretty sneaky sis. (connect four reference for you whipper snappers.)

Americas Choice: $50
    Text: $10
    VPAk: $15
    BES: $45
    Total: $120

I may just save myself the hassle and pick another phone that doesn't need all an extra 20 bucks per month.
    06-15-09 11:30 AM
    Wow so its $15 cheaper.

No, it's actually 20 bucks more expensive since you have to update to a more expensive voice plan. However the price on VZW did drop 50 bucks for the actual device on a 2 year contract. I'm going to probably not get this because in the end it will cost me about 500 bucks extra after a 2 year deal. I'll just get the env2 or something.
    06-15-09 11:36 AM
    Actually, VZW has a plan called Connect Now its 10 bucks a month for unlimited internet surfing, AND you get the Mobile E-mail for free. After going through 7 BB Storm's they sent me and fiance 2 of these. I have had it since thursday, and I have synced up my e-mail successfully, and and surf the web. It is working fantastic. Check into it... they dont advertise the Connect Now plan because its cheaper than VCast and it has Mobile e-mail. However you do not get vcast videos and music in that. Dont know how much she uses that but I never use it, since I can just surf to youtube and I have an 8gig memory card full of music. Hope that helps!

Edit 1: It also has unlimited messaging...

Full details on the Verizon Wireless Nationwide Connect Plan : Boy Genius Report

Edit 2: and you dont have to upgrade your voice plan. Dont let anybody tell you do... i have the phone, its cheaper than the blackberry was by about 50 bucks a month (2 lines). If I didnt get my corporate discount to work it would be about 65-70 bucks a month cheaper after tax.
    Last edited by Lynx83; 06-15-09 at 03:18 PM.
    06-15-09 03:13 PM
    my friend just got the EnV touch and she loves it.

for those who are talking about saving $15 - isn't browsing different on a reg phone? cause i debated the same things and was told that viewing websites was better on a bberry than on a reg phone.
    06-15-09 06:55 PM
    I just re-did my math if I don't upgrade my plan and just get a curve then I save 5 bucks.

Edit: Oh yeah VZW website was saying i needed to upgrade to the nationwide plan as opposed to my current americas choice plan. It's about 20 dollars difference. The connect add-on would put me at a break even with the curve as i would still need to do the 20 dollar upgrade for the env touch.

Last edited by cadsystems; 06-15-09 at 10:16 PM.
    06-15-09 07:52 PM
    my friend just got the EnV touch and she loves it.

for those who are talking about saving $15 - isn't browsing different on a reg phone? cause i debated the same things and was told that viewing websites was better on a bberry than on a reg phone.
    The enV phones have HTML browsers. The enV Touch has a large screen. In some ways, the enV browsing experience is better than BlackBerry.

Plus, if you get the premium plan, you get video, vCast, unlimited text/email/IMs & other goodies. Then there is CDMA Rev A, missing on BlackBerry.

BlackBerry has an advantage with Internet attachments and ease of installing third-party apps. But if those two things are that important to you, you'd have a WinMo phone, as they are even better than BlackBerry. Anymore, the only advantage BlackBerry has is in email handling - but in other areas, advanced devices & WinMo phones smoke BlackBerry.

06-15-09 10:55 PM
    The new blackberry promotions @ VZW sealed the deal. 50 bucks for a 8330 which she'll love and a 30 dollar data plan. Thanks for all the info. It should be here tomorrow and we'll be on our way to syncing our calendars with Blackberry Unite until it gets remade into something else.
    06-16-09 11:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD