11-03-10 07:37 AM
54 123
tools
    Hey all,
    Havent been around here much in a while, which is incredibly weird for me to say. Recently, I left the world of BlackBerry and moved to the Droid X, which has been fun for a while.

But, it is time to come back. Unfortunately, it doesnt look like VZW has anything coming out that piques my interest. What are we looking at as far as a BB roadmap goes for VZW? I am not looking for anything fancy...being away from BB has made me miss simple features like being able to start typing a contacts name from the home screen, etc.

Come on VZW give me something worth switching back to!
    09-29-10 11:49 AM
    Funny to read your post. I’m still using my original Storm 1, and I’m ready to upgrade but I don’t see a Verizon BB that interests me either. If I’m going to have my next phone for the better part of two years, the Storm 2 and 2.5 just isn’t a big enough leap. So I’ve been considering moving to the Droid X. My biggest concern is my personal email. I’ve read that email on BBs is better than on Droids. I have a pop3 account (xxxx@comcast.net) and I’m not sure how that will work.

Is there anything specific about Droid X you don’t like?
    09-29-10 12:05 PM
    i'm on a VZW Tour still. i'm not thrilled with the Storm 2.5 but i may get it. i'd like a touch screen and wifi as well as OS 6. If not that i will get Storm LTE whenever that's released.

No good BlackBerry phones out for VZW right now, i agree.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-10 12:12 PM
    Funny to read your post. Im still using my original Storm 1, and Im ready to upgrade but I dont see a Verizon BB that interests me either. If Im going to have my next phone for the better part of two years, the Storm 2 and 2.5 just isnt a big enough leap. So Ive been considering moving to the Droid X. My biggest concern is my personal email. Ive read that email on BBs is better than on Droids. I have a pop3 account (xxxx@comcast.net) and Im not sure how that will work.

Is there anything specific about Droid X you dont like?
    Honestly, part of me really loves it. The massive touch screen is awesome, and the software is decent as well. Really, the only thing I miss is my hardware keyboard and push email on all accounts. One thing that is awesome about the DX though is the gmail contacts/calendar etc. It is always live and updated no matter where I am (as long as I have cell service).

I am tempted to pick up a Bold for the time being. I just wish the 9780 was coming to VZW to be honest.

i'm on a VZW Tour still. i'm not thrilled with the Storm 2.5 but i may get it. i'd like a touch screen and wifi as well as OS 6. If not that i will get Storm LTE whenever that's released.

No good BlackBerry phones out for VZW right now, i agree.

Honestly, stay away from the Storm. As far as a touchscreen BB goes, it is the best, but that isnt saying much. I have had both Storms to this point, and they are sad excuses for a touchscreen smartphone. The Droid X blows it out of the water in that department, no question about it.
    09-29-10 12:41 PM
    Lol, you mean the recycled storm refresh isn't new?

Honestly, stay away from the Storm. As far as a touchscreen BB goes, it is the best, but that isnt saying much. I have had both Storms to this point, and they are sad excuses for a touchscreen smartphone. The Droid X blows it out of the water in that department, no question about it.
    Storm with 5.0.0.419 was good, Storm2 running anything after 5.0.0.517.....pfft, it's no wonder so many ppl defected.
    Last edited by plkcable; 09-29-10 at 12:50 PM.
    09-29-10 12:47 PM
    Lol, you mean the recycled storm refresh isn't new?
    Was that directed at me? If so, that is exactly what I mean. If they are calling it new, that is pretty lame...
    09-29-10 12:49 PM
    Fiending for a new Crackberry are we people?
    09-29-10 12:50 PM
    Was that directed at me? If so, that is exactly what I mean. If they are calling it new, that is pretty lame...
    I was being sarcastic, and agreeing with you
    09-29-10 12:52 PM
    I'm VERY happy with my 9650 on 6.0 (I'll be happy once we get a better build), but I will upgrade to the LTE Storm, or an LTE keyboard BB on my next upgrade, probably early to mid 2011.
    09-29-10 01:30 PM
    I'm VERY happy with my 9650 on 6.0 (I'll be happy once we get a better build), but I will upgrade to the LTE Storm, or an LTE keyboard BB on my next upgrade, probably early to mid 2011.
    I agree, the Bold has been my best performing device. It runs BB6 smoothly and was the "new life" I was looking for. I doubt the LTE Storm is in my future, but I won't say absolutely not.
    09-29-10 01:42 PM
    im in the same boat with most of you. I have my Droid X but want to come back to BB but nothing looks good.

I will wait to get a LTE device bu wouldnt mind getting a Bold to hold me over.
    09-29-10 02:13 PM
    I was being sarcastic, and agreeing with you
    Ahhh. That e-sarcasm always seems to slip right by me.

im in the same boat with most of you. I have my Droid X but want to come back to BB but nothing looks good.

I will wait to get a LTE device bu wouldnt mind getting a Bold to hold me over.
    I am thinking that I might have to pick up another Bold just to get me through until a more legitimate LTE BB with a hardware keyboard comes out.

How does 6.0 run? Well enough to get through every day without a necessary restart for bugs/other reasons? I cant have my phone going down for 20-30 minutes each day for restarts you know?
    09-29-10 06:06 PM
    How does 6.0 run? Well enough to get through every day without a necessary restart for bugs/other reasons? I cant have my phone going down for 20-30 minutes each day for restarts you know?
    While OS6 on the 9650 has the reputation of being very buggy, in general it is a very smooth build. Its nothing compared to what the later builds will be, but its still a good, solid build. I think it would be worth it for you to go with a Big Red 9650 and pop OS6 on it if you are looking to come back

EDIT: I should clarify. I've done about 1 pull a week since the leak was released, and bootup time is 3 minutes max. You won't be losing half an hour a day with reboots unless your OS installation goes horribly wrong.
    Last edited by gingertonic; 10-01-10 at 02:47 PM.
    10-01-10 02:43 PM
    BB6 runs very well on my Bold. The few occasions I've had to reboot, the 2 minute boot time is a little slice of heaven. That alone is reason enough for me to never look back at OS5.

Is it perfect? No. Is it solid? Yes. Those who say to wait an official thinking it'll be perfect are just silly.
    10-01-10 03:30 PM
    Funny to read your post. I’m still using my original Storm 1, and I’m ready to upgrade but I don’t see a Verizon BB that interests me either. If I’m going to have my next phone for the better part of two years, the Storm 2 and 2.5 just isn’t a big enough leap. So I’ve been considering moving to the Droid X. My biggest concern is my personal email. I’ve read that email on BBs is better than on Droids. I have a pop3 account (xxxx@comcast.net) and I’m not sure how that will work.

Is there anything specific about Droid X you don’t like?
    I tried the Droid X when it first came out. Cool phone but the email client is the worst element of the phone. Android 2.1 did not work correctly with Exchange. So I went back to my Tour until 2.2 was released. Gave the DX another try and the Exchange problem was fixed. But still couldnt get use to the email client.

I use a BES Server and i'm just spoiled.
    10-01-10 03:41 PM
    I am in the same position. I love my BB but Verizon just isn't keeping up! I'm trying to decide if I should switch carriers or just stick it out and see how much longer I can drive my current into the ground.
    10-01-10 06:46 PM
    I want the Torch!! But ATT cannot have my business, bad service in my area. I want to upgrade but I do love my curve. Just not thinking the new 9330 is exactly it. Looking like I may have to go Bold. And install OS 6.

10-11-10 02:58 AM
    I am in the same position. I love my BB but Verizon just isn't keeping up! I'm trying to decide if I should switch carriers or just stick it out and see how much longer I can drive my current into the ground.
    VZW seems to be limping along to some and poised to make a giant leap to others. If one is a fan of the Droid Toys, you're satisfied. If you want a touch screen BB, you're not. Looking ahead, LTE seems to be right around the corner and I think it safe to say we'll see a slew of new LTE devices to choose from. Even the coveted iToy seems to be a possibility.

The 9650 is the best BB VZW has carried and it is a great device. Once OS 6 is de-bugged, it will only get better. Patience, lass...the future looks rosy for Big Red.

10-12-10 08:12 AM
    VZW seems to be limping along to some and poised to make a giant leap to others. If one is a fan of the Droid Toys, you're satisfied. If you want a touch screen BB, you're not. Looking ahead, LTE seems to be right around the corner and I think it safe to say we'll see a slew of new LTE devices to choose from. Even the coveted iToy seems to be a possibility.

The 9650 is the best BB VZW has carried and it is a great device. Once OS 6 is de-bugged, it will only get better. Patience, lass...the future looks rosy for Big Red.

I don't have high hopes for the LTE Storm. After having the headaches that go along with owning a Storm2, I'd go the Torch route (if it ever comes to VZW) before touching another Storm.

+1 for the Bold comment, nothing else comes close.
    10-12-10 08:23 AM
    After playing with Storm 1 and 2 in stores, I sure hope the LTE Storm will be NOTHING like them. They need to take a lesson from the other touchscreen device makers in how to make a proper touchscreen device.

FWIW, Android devices aren't toys, and in some cases, have better functionality than any BB.
    10-12-10 10:22 AM

FWIW, Android devices aren't toys, and in some cases, have better functionality than any BB.
    I call it a "Toy" because most of the people I know that have Droids spend more time "playing" with them than actually "using" them.

IMO, my Bold "functions" better as a communications (phone calls, email, texting, etc.) device than any Droid I have tried to use. To each their own.
    10-12-10 10:34 AM
    I call it a "Toy" because most of the people I know that have Droids spend more time "playing" with them than actually "using" them.

IMO, my Bold "functions" better as a communications (phone calls, email, texting, etc.) device than any Droid I have tried to use. To each their own.
    You see more people "playing" with them because they have better capability when it comes to that (just like the iPhone). That doesn't mean that people are "using" them less than BB.

- VDubb
    10-12-10 02:04 PM
    After playing with Storm 1 and 2 in stores, I sure hope the LTE Storm will be NOTHING like them. They need to take a lesson from the other touchscreen device makers in how to make a proper touchscreen device.
    After owning Storm 1 and 2, I sure hope the LTE Storm will be NOTHING like them. SurePress is lame, put the Torch screen on it and write a decent OS that isn't fraught with a ton of bugs.
    10-12-10 02:07 PM
    I'm in the same boat. I had an 8900 on AT&T, but was paying way too much, so I switched to my parents family plan on Verizon and got the Droid the day after it came out. Love the phone and it's been great over the past year, but the cool factor is starting to wear off and the more I'm texting/emailing, the more I grow tired of the touch screen. I just miss the awesome keyboard of my 8900 (and no, I never use the Droid keyboard, it blows)

However, having the phone rooted for a while and running at 1.1Ghz makes it blazing fast and extremely reliable. Apps never force close and I never have to restart the thing unless I drain the battery, which easily lasts more than a day. I just don't want to go back to BB and be disappointed with rebooting a few times a week, slow OS that lags all the time, and draining the battery in less than a full day. I'd love to see the Torch on Verizon, as well as the Bold 9700, but of course Verizon can't get the best BB phones. They really have to come up with something new ASAP and hopefully it is close to the form factor of one of those two devices.
    10-13-10 08:58 AM
    If any of the hype is true, a bug free OS6 on COMPATIBLE devices will be the best we can hope for on the current line up for the RIM CDMA devices. Until LTE rolls out I just do not see a super fast, speedy, whiz bang product from RIM. It is NOT that VZW "can't get the best BB phones." Rather, it is RIM that is building their best devices for the WORLD market, and that is GSM.

In my case, I am perfectly happy with my VZW Bold 9650 and am patiently awaiting the release of an official OS6. My device is primarily a communications device: Phone, email, texting, BBM, calendar, notes, voice recorder, PDA. Bluetooth and voice dialing work great. I also read news, sports and have a weather app. I can check airline schedules. I've used the built in GPS on rare occasions as I have a Garmin Nuvi. My browser often gets used as a trivia answer device and works fairly quickly on WiFi. I take a lot of pictures with the 3.2 camera. My 1700mAh battery will go all day and then some with fairly heavy use. It stores a lot of music, too. The device is unlocked and I have the potential to use it just about anywhere there is a signal. And the Bold does all of this with efficiency and reliability. My 9650 will do even more but if I spent any more time on this device, my GF would probably move out...and I wouldn't blame her.

Sure, there are faster devices with better browsers but I really don't need it. When LTE rolls out there will be a whole new international playing field and I'm sure all the manufacturer's R&D departments (RIM included) are working on and testing LTE compatible devices as I type.

For those who find more satisfaction with a Droid or iPhone, that's great. To each their own. For those looking for a new whiz bang CDMA product from RIM...don't hold your breath. Hopefully, for RIM loyalists, (and I don't necessarily fall into that category) the RIM LTE devices will introduce a new platform and truly make the next generation of BB products contenders with the competition. Until then, give us a solid reliable OS 6.
    10-13-10 10:37 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD