Hi Folks,

Well I have to say it is time for an upgrade from an older 7100 series. I have been looking at the 8703e and the curve. I know the curve has much more features, but the icons seem so small. Yes I am getting older. I have not seen the 8703e in person but I have played with the curve for a few minutes. Can you make the icons bigger on the home screen with the curve?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
    07-27-08 04:44 PM
    Hi Folks,

Well I have to say it is time for an upgrade from an older 7100 series. I have been looking at the 8703e and the curve. I know the curve has much more features, but the icons seem so small. Yes I am getting older. I have not seen the 8703e in person but I have played with the curve for a few minutes. Can you make the icons bigger on the home screen with the curve?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
    Hey Mike,

I have an 8703e, and I honestly don't see that I am missing much, or anything at all. The keyboard on the 8703e is easy to type on. The best part: it's made like a brick.

I've heard good things about both models. The Curve is MUCH more of a multimedia device, and the 8703e doesn't really go beyond MP3 ringtones.

Hope that helps!
    Paul
    07-27-08 04:58 PM
    If you have a need for camera, the 8703 does not have one. Also curve has full qwerty keyboard and no sure type. Just adding a 2 cents.
    07-27-08 05:04 PM
    The Curve , you won't regret it
    07-27-08 05:07 PM
    If you have a need for camera, the 8703 does not have one. Also curve has full qwerty keyboard and no sure type. Just adding a 2 cents.
    Ah, forgot the contrast between QWERTY and SureType. QWERTY is what the 8703e and the Curve have, a full keyboard. The Pearl and 7100 series (like you have) do not have full keyboards, so they have SureType.

Paul
    07-27-08 05:09 PM
    Thanks all for the responses.

I guess I had the 7700 full keyboard (company issue). I got use to the larger icons. For you curve users out there, can the main Icons be made larger? I don't want to reach for my glasses every time I look at the phone. ahh the joys of hitting 40ish

Thanks again all
    07-27-08 07:15 PM
    I know that fonts size can be changed. Have not found a font size change. But there maybe a theme that might help
    07-27-08 08:56 PM
    For you curve users out there, can the main Icons be made larger? I don't want to reach for my glasses every time I look at the phone. ahh the joys of hitting 40ish

Thanks again all
    Not that I am aware of, I have yet to find an option for this.
    07-27-08 08:59 PM
    You can't change the icon size, although sometimes I wish you could. I'd like to make mine smaller. The 8703e and the Curve have a similar screen size and similar themes so I think either one would work for you.

The one thing I do miss about my 8703e is the construction. That thing was built so solid.
    07-27-08 09:47 PM
    The one thing I do miss about my 8703e is the construction. That thing was built so solid.
    Agreed. It lives up to it's name: a brick.
    07-27-08 10:40 PM
    Agreed. It lives up to it's name: a brick.
    Agreed. My friend has one for work and it is built like a tank. I'm even considering one for a backup.

But my decision to go with the Curve was the camera. In the past I've told myself I don't need one on a phone but it really does come in handy, esp when I forget to bring out my didgital camera.
    07-30-08 10:30 AM
    Having made the change from an 8703e to the Curve, and with 53 year old eyes, I can tell you it's not an issue. The clarity of the screen helps and different themes utilize different icons and sizes. The Verizon theme on the Curve has larger easy to see icons as does the Surreal theme which is what I use.
    07-30-08 10:38 AM
    I used to have an 8703e (on a different carrier) and I liked it except for one thing: the wheel. It doesn't have a ball to navigate with. I really, really hated that stupid wheel. Some people may not mind it, but I like the ball so much better.
    07-30-08 10:48 AM
    Thanks again all for the reply's. I picked up the curve and it is great. I set it to the verizon theme and change the font and all is well. The screen is even good in the sun.
    08-06-08 11:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD