So, I've been pretty bummed out lately about being stuck with a curve 8330.

My Directv supercast app doesn't work with it, it's an Alltel legacy device, so none of the Verizon apps work with it, and I wasn't going to be eligible to upgrade until 2011.

So, I was going to cancel and go with AT&T and get an Iphone. I wasn't trying to wiggle out of the contract termination, I was going to pay my 200 dollars, sell my phone for 100 to someone else, then get an iphone.

The Verizon retention rep made my account able to upgrade at the 2 year price and I'm perfectly happy now.

Probably going to hold out and see how the Droid is....but considering just getting a Storm.

I know people complain a lot about stuff here, because that's what the cool kids do....but every dealing I've had with Verizon so far, they have been quite reasonable.
    11-04-09 09:09 AM
    Congrats! I recomend that you play with the driod and the stomr and then make a choice!
    11-04-09 09:12 AM
    Good to hear you manipulated vzw into getting you an upgrade and then not using it immediately after complaining about all the things your 8330 cant do...
    JK! Good to hear you got that upgrade moved if it were me calling the shots for VZW I would be doing a proration for upgrades from alltel to VZW. LIke if you have had your phone for a year a certain amount off more if you have had it longer and less if you have had it shorter... Just thinkin aloud
    11-04-09 09:16 AM
    I honestly think I'm just going to buy a Storm 1

I know lots of people with one that haven't had any issues since they got the 5.0 software.

I'd really consider a droid, storm2, or tour, but really just don't want to spend 150-200 bucks on the phone.

The only reason I decided to wait is I want to see how the launch of the Droid goes Friday
    11-04-09 10:06 AM
    Yeah I hear ya... I know there are some crazy droid fanboy's on here but I like to wait and make my own assumptions. I got my hands on the S2 and was pleased that it does all you would think a bb to do. I think the S1 was always a solid device its people doing dumb stuff with it. The Tour is a good option if you want the fullqwerty... Lots of good phones that aren't the iphone
    11-04-09 10:13 AM
    are apps just "storm" specific?

Aka, will an app always work on both storms?

I would hate to get a S1 and then start having apps only come out for S2
    11-04-09 10:14 AM
    no all storm apps will work on s1/2
    11-04-09 10:17 AM
    hmm

perhaps I should wait until Black Thursday (or around there) and see what specials pop up?

or, since that's within 30 days...couldn't I always return the S1, pay the restocking fee, then get whatever else I saw that I liked?
    11-04-09 10:18 AM
    i would wait...don't wait past your 30 days because after that you are just SOL buddy. once you go past the 30 days you have to pay the restocking fee.
    11-04-09 10:20 AM
    Good to hear you manipulated vzw into getting you an upgrade and then not using it immediately after complaining about all the things your 8330 cant do...
    JK! Good to hear you got that upgrade moved if it were me calling the shots for VZW I would be doing a proration for upgrades from alltel to VZW. LIke if you have had your phone for a year a certain amount off more if you have had it longer and less if you have had it shorter... Just thinkin aloud
    How about a pro-rated discount for the substandard service a lot of Alltel folks were left with after the Sprint towers went away. Jack it back up after tower convergence is complete.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-09 10:36 AM
    How about a pro-rated discount for the substandard service a lot of Alltel folks were left with after the Sprint towers went away. Jack it back up after tower convergence is complete.

If your service is deemed marginal, then just call in and cancel without the ETF.
    11-04-09 10:44 AM
    Oh, minor confusion, I thought you were talking about

[IMGhttp://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:cCd5doWjOzm2yM:http://www.design-cars.com/images/stories/CarDesign/vw_beetle.jpg][/IMG]

For a moment there.

11-04-09 10:46 AM

for a moment. You meant VZW, my bad!

11-04-09 10:49 AM
    If your service is deemed marginal, then just call in and cancel without the ETF.
    We've talked about this before. Also, I recently installed a zBoost device at my house and have fixed my problem myself. Thanks. I really don't need the extra business, but I have requests from over 20 Alltel/VZW customers to install the same device in their homes. This is strictly by word of mouth in the last 10 days.

On rhe positive side, potentially there is not a better network. A VZW plan gets better reception than an Alltel plan. Usesd to be just the opposite before merger. With LTE on the horizon, there will not be a better network.

Sorry, but on the negative side it appears on the surface that VZW bought Alltel just for bragging rights that they have the most customers. Alltel customers caught up in this merger have been dumped on. If I treated my clients like I have been treated by VZW I would be in the poor house rather than having just completed construction of a second home in North Carolina, paid in full.

The attitude to just say ETF is lame. You're better than that.

11-04-09 11:13 AM

for a moment. You meant VZW, my bad!

I take it that is a picture of your car.

11-04-09 11:15 AM
    So, I've been pretty bummed out lately about being stuck with a curve 8330.

My Directv supercast app doesn't work with it, it's an Alltel legacy device, so none of the Verizon apps work with it, and I wasn't going to be eligible to upgrade until 2011.

So, I was going to cancel and go with AT&T and get an Iphone. I wasn't trying to wiggle out of the contract termination, I was going to pay my 200 dollars, sell my phone for 100 to someone else, then get an iphone.

The Verizon retention rep made my account able to upgrade at the 2 year price and I'm perfectly happy now.

Probably going to hold out and see how the Droid is....but considering just getting a Storm.

I know people complain a lot about stuff here, because that's what the cool kids do....but every dealing I've had with Verizon so far, they have been quite reasonable.
    Sorry...I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Obviously, I have my issues with VZW. It's great they went the extra distance for you. You're on the right track with a bigger screen to display the DirecTV Supercast. You're fortunate that your problem was a hardware/software compatibility issue and not service related. You'll get some truly expert advice from this site as many of these guys love to tinker with the latest and (hopefully) greatest products, and then post the pros and cons. You're also being wise in not making an impulse decision and leaping on the latest toy. Good Luck.
    11-04-09 02:52 PM
    Sorry...I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Obviously, I have my issues with VZW. It's great they went the extra distance for you. You're on the right track with a bigger screen to display the DirecTV Supercast. You're fortunate that your problem was a hardware/software compatibility issue and not service related. You'll get some truly expert advice from this site as many of these guys love to tinker with the latest and (hopefully) greatest products, and then post the pros and cons. You're also being wise in not making an impulse decision and leaping on the latest toy. Good Luck.
    It probably helps that I literally live 5 blocks from WalMart's corporate HQ in Bentonville, Ar.

I imagine that any carrier with shoddy reception/coverage in my vicinity would not be in business long around here considering how many people work within say a 20 block radius of me
    11-04-09 06:15 PM
    We've talked about this before. Also, I recently installed a zBoost device at my house and have fixed my problem myself. Thanks. I really don't need the extra business, but I have requests from over 20 Alltel/VZW customers to install the same device in their homes. This is strictly by word of mouth in the last 10 days.

On rhe positive side, potentially there is not a better network. A VZW plan gets better reception than an Alltel plan. Usesd to be just the opposite before merger. With LTE on the horizon, there will not be a better network.

Sorry, but on the negative side it appears on the surface that VZW bought Alltel just for bragging rights that they have the most customers. Alltel customers caught up in this merger have been dumped on. If I treated my clients like I have been treated by VZW I would be in the poor house rather than having just completed construction of a second home in North Carolina, paid in full.

The attitude to just say ETF is lame. You're better than that.

Like I've said before: I'm a previous Alltel rep and I deal with people in your situation everyday since the conversion - so I'm well aware of what's going on.

People in the East and SE areas had the most problems due to conversion. The PRL's were never right and seemed to change every week. Worst thing that happened was Sprint coverage was knocked out. Trust me, this didn't affect every Alltel customer - just those in your region. People in your area are the only ones that seem to have problems and the apparent reason is the Sprint issue.

Obviously getting on here and complaining about the conversion issues won't help your problem. That's why I said if you're still having issues, then just cancel and not pay the ETF. No need to go in circles for something you cannot use. I honestly do not see how a VZW plan could possibly correct your issue. The only thing that is going to fix your problem is another cell site. Otherwise - what do you think VZW could do? Give you a discount for your troubles?

By the way: I've only had a couple of people in the Midwest and Northern areas complain about signal issues since their conversion. Matter of fact those people are actually THRILLED that they are finally going to become VZW. So don't say that VZW doesn't care and is trying to do this as bragging rights. A company doesn't buy roughly 13 million customers for 28.1 BILLION dollars for the fun of it.

Overall calls coming in from the East and SE areas regarding coverage issues since conversion have pretty much stopped.
    Last edited by tsguy52; 11-05-09 at 12:35 AM.
    11-05-09 12:32 AM
    I take it that is a picture of your car.

Uh, no, not so much, but thanks for playing!

11-05-09 12:38 AM
    Like I've said before: I'm a previous Alltel rep and I deal with people in your situation everyday since the conversion - so I'm well aware of what's going on.

People in the East and SE areas had the most problems due to conversion. The PRL's were never right and seemed to change every week. Worst thing that happened was Sprint coverage was knocked out. Trust me, this didn't affect every Alltel customer - just those in your region. People in your area are the only ones that seem to have problems and the apparent reason is the Sprint issue.

Obviously getting on here and complaining about the conversion issues won't help your problem. That's why I said if you're still having issues, then just cancel and not pay the ETF. No need to go in circles for something you cannot use. I honestly do not see how a VZW plan could possibly correct your issue. The only thing that is going to fix your problem is another cell site. Otherwise - what do you think VZW could do? Give you a discount for your troubles?

By the way: I've only had a couple of people in the Midwest and Northern areas complain about signal issues since their conversion. Matter of fact those people are actually THRILLED that they are finally going to become VZW. So don't say that VZW doesn't care and is trying to do this as bragging rights. A company doesn't buy roughly 13 million customers for 28.1 BILLION dollars for the fun of it.

Overall calls coming in from the East and SE areas regarding coverage issues since conversion have pretty much stopped.
    You and VZW don't really deal with people in my situation. Dealing with the situation is to FIX the problem. VZW wanted to fix the problem at MY expense. That is a poor excuse of a fix for a problem they created. Being told to be patient and wait for tower convergence (still no date) isn't a fix either.

Back in early June I had 58 people over to the house for a party. There were 41 of us on Alltel plans, 7 on VZW, and 5 ATT iPhones and 5 without devices. VZW plans (including 8330s) had great signal (like I used to) and even the iToys worked better than the 41 Alltel plan phones. Of the Alltel devices, 29 were Blackberrys, and the rest assorted devices. The 8330's and 8830's were at the bottom of the heap for signal strength at my house. Not a good score for RIM or VZW/Alltel.

A VZW device and plan with a VZW PRL works fine at my house. I proved it back in June. I spent most of the summer in the Boone, NC area building the mountain home and working on a couple of projects in the area. My device worked fine there. Visited my Florida house several times throughout the summer...same old problem (works fine around town). One of my suppliers reps zBoost and got me a free unit to test. I now have 4 to 5 bars at my house.

So my problem is NOT my signal (thanks to the zBoost signal amp) My issue is how I was treated by VZW in the wake of this merger. On the surface, everyone from CSR to store reps and managers tried to help but there was NO fix unless I paid for it (buy myself into a VZW plan and new devices at full price). The only logical explanation that I can present for your statement is that you're "no longer getting calls from the East and SE" is that folks got tired of nothing being done to fix their issue and just quit calling out of frustration.

I'm glad you can toot your horn about how good service is in other parts of the country. At least there are Alltel plan customers who are getting what they pay for. My response to blue_and_boldless about discounting plans was parody. I was poking fun at the situation.

The fact is that if you are a former Alltel customer on a VZW plan with a VZW device you can get a hybrid PRL and/or a Network Extender to help with poor signal issues. If you are on an Alltel plan and have signal issues you are SOL...simple as that (unless you buy your way out). So once again, my signal at home is now great thanks to the zBoost device. I do take issue with how VZW has treated people who are without good signal (thanks to the removal of Sprint towers and thanks for admitting it).

For the present, I will continue to periodically bash VZW's policy towards Alltel plan customers who have poor signals and are not close enough for a reasonable upgrade.

At the end of the day, VZW still has the best network and if tower convergence ever happens, it will be even better, and when LTE occurs it will be great. See ya.
    11-05-09 11:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD