I planning to pick up a Tour when it hits the streets. This is the first time I've upgraded to a new phone while the old one still works. Been with VZW for 16 years.

Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions on:
    1. How to dispose of the phone (profitably, since it still works). Is it worth trying to sell on eBay? Is anybody really going to pay much for a 2-year old obsolete phone that's tied to VZW?
    2. Best method to wipe data off the old phone? Is there an app for that? I know how to transfer data and apps from the old to the new phone. Just want to wipe the old one. I really don't want my data getting into the wrong hands. Not like I've got anything to hide, or money for anyone to steal I just don't feel comfortable with my stuff floating out there in cyberspace.
    07-08-09 05:01 PM
    Try tradeups.com

As for wiping data off i don't know. But if there's something like a factory reset I imagine that would work.
    07-08-09 05:58 PM
    As another 8703e user, I am also going with the Tour after years of having the "old BB". I actually want to keep mine just in case something goes wrong with the Tour, which had better not even happen . That or have a 8703e Memorial service that blows MJ's away...all are invited!
    07-08-09 06:20 PM
    Knowing how addicted I am to having a berry, keep it as backup

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-09 06:54 PM
    Donate to the Smithsonian and take the tax write off.
    07-08-09 07:25 PM
    or donate to hopeline
    07-08-09 07:40 PM
    I planning to pick up a Tour when it hits the streets. This is the first time I've upgraded to a new phone while the old one still works. Been with VZW for 16 years.

Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions on:
    1. How to dispose of the phone (profitably, since it still works). Is it worth trying to sell on eBay? Is anybody really going to pay much for a 2-year old obsolete phone that's tied to VZW?
    2. Best method to wipe data off the old phone? Is there an app for that? I know how to transfer data and apps from the old to the new phone. Just want to wipe the old one. I really don't want my data getting into the wrong hands. Not like I've got anything to hide, or money for anyone to steal I just don't feel comfortable with my stuff floating out there in cyberspace.
    1. Hopeline if you want to donate the phone to a good cause; Craigslist otherwise. More and more nowadays you're finding that people aren't trusting phones purchased through eBay, so at least with Craigslist, the buyer gets some sort of face to face interaction so they know it's not a stolen device. For something like the 8703e, I'm sure you could easily get $100+ for it, depending on the condition. There's a lot of people who want a Blackberry but aren't eligible to upgrade or can't have a camera.

2. Handset wipe can be found in your manual. I don't remember how it works on the older BB devices, but on the newer ones, you'd go to options>security options>general settings>(hit the blackberry/menu button) wipe handheld.
    07-08-09 08:45 PM
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Now you have me paranoid... I'll probably just hang onto it as a BU.
    07-09-09 05:36 AM
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Now you have me paranoid... I'll probably just hang onto it as a BU.
    Always a good idea. Don't forget that RIM is/was offering a promotion where you can turn your old BB in for money towards a new BB.
    07-09-09 04:21 PM
    I should be getting a refurbished 8830 tomorrow (terrible timing) and am curious if anyone would buy that off eBay. They don't seem to be selling too well right now, hah. I don't want it to go to waste after I switch, though.
    07-09-09 04:25 PM
    You can use the backup/restore option or Device Switch Wizard on your BB desktop manager to tsfr the data.
    Regarding wiping your phone.
    Go to options>security options>general settings>click BB button choose wipe handheld and follow prompts.
    Wipey clean as a whistle.
    07-10-09 07:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD