04-23-08 12:05 AM
32 12
tools
    I went to Verizon today and they are sending my my THIRD 8130! How many Pearls are they going to send me before they will allow me to upgrade to a curve? (I'll pay the difference, but not full price!) Will they, at any point in time, see that this Pearl is a problem?

I purchased my first Pearl in late January, upgrading from a 7130e. I noticed out of the box that the 6/J/K key was real tight, very hard to push. I thought it would "loosen up" and that it wouldn't be an issue after a while. Two months later I realized that it wasn't getting ANY better so I took it into the store and they ordered a warranty replacement for me. Right out of the box I noticed that the trackball felt wrong. It would move fine, but the curser or selection wouldn't move at all. I noticed it most while playing Tetris (which I do ALOT!) Today I went in and they are sending me yet ANOTHER Pearl.

I have been experiencing a number of other issues: memory loss, bluetooth dropping, etc. I am starting to get VERY frustrated with it. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Blackberry but am thinking that a Curve seems more and more appealing to me.

Thanks!!
    04-17-08 08:31 PM
    there's no way to say that the curve from verizon won' t come out of the box with low memory verizon seems to put alot of useless **** on their phones that kill the memory
    04-17-08 08:34 PM
    Pashan,
    Welcome to my world, not the same problem, but Im on my 4th Pearl from VZW! RIM cant even figure this one out!
    04-17-08 08:42 PM
    Pashan,
    Welcome to my world, not the same problem, but Im on my 4th Pearl from VZW! RIM cant even figure this one out!
    Good Grief! That's insane... and they've made no mention or offer in regard to moving you to a different device? What is your problem with this one?!?!

Blueberry23 - are there memory loss issues with other carriers' Curves? I pull all the useless garbage off of the device when I get them, so the memory starts out okay for me. It's the documented Pearl Memory Leak that's bothering me. I start the day out with 19MB and end up with 6MB over the course of a 8 hour work day. Yikes!
    Last edited by pashan; 04-17-08 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Add a line... (and it didn't cost $10)
    04-17-08 08:52 PM
    Ouch I have 37 mb free on my 8100 with a lot of third party apps so ya it might be a Verizon thing

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-08 09:05 PM
    Good Grief! That's insane... and they've made no mention or offer in regard to moving you to a different device? What is your problem with this one?!?!

They offered the 8703e, which is outdated and I assume is about to be replaced by the Curve....
    04-17-08 09:10 PM
    verizon seems to put alot of useless **** on their phones that kill the memory
    Not on the BBs. If you want to prove me wrong, post a list of what's loaded on them that pertains to Verizon.
    04-17-08 09:20 PM
    as far as memory goes, the verizon curve has more than the att version (96?).

i am in the same boat as the OP...i am on my second 8830 and it has a trackball problem...so they want to send me a 3rd one. i told them i would not be home to sign for it so i could buy some time to figure out how to get them to send me a curve instead.

any suggestions?
    04-17-08 11:49 PM
    I'm on my 3rd pearl too.....I think verizon got a bad batch! The 1st one wouldn't receive email and the 2nd would freeze up and I was doing battery pulls like crazy! This one is ok so far but we will see....good luck getting your curve, I'm about to switch to tmobile unless verizon gives me some great deal to keep me. I've never had this many problems with just one phone in such a short period of time
    04-18-08 07:29 AM
    I say all of u should switch to Tmo...verizon sounds like crap!

04-18-08 08:05 AM
    I say all of u should switch to Tmo...verizon sounds like crap!

The actual 8130's may be crap from VZW, but Im sticking with them for their coverage and service, as Ive never had an issue anywhere I have traveled.
    04-18-08 08:14 AM
    Three pearls for me too. First one shut down for no reason, second had a bad screen. Third one's a charm. But blaming verizon is ridiculous. They didn't manufacture the BB. They simply sell it.
    Also, in regards to the prior post: I have loaded Verizon, AllTell and US cellular OS's (as they released upgrades) and all had the same memory and apps after install. So I am confused as to what VZW specific "useless ****" is on the VZW pearl.
    Last edited by pmas; 04-18-08 at 08:25 AM.
    04-18-08 08:23 AM
    as far as memory goes, the verizon curve has more than the att version (96?).

i am in the same boat as the OP...i am on my second 8830 and it has a trackball problem...so they want to send me a 3rd one. i told them i would not be home to sign for it so i could buy some time to figure out how to get them to send me a curve instead.

any suggestions?
    Somebody mentioned that the new curve will only have 64MB. The 96 is incorrect. Has something to do with the fact that the processor in the phone wont work with memory above 64.
    04-18-08 08:28 AM
    Wow. Guess I got lucky on my Pearl, she's not given me a problem yet.

Although I did buy mine off Ebay....
    04-18-08 10:28 AM
    Somebody mentioned that the new curve will only have 64MB. The 96 is incorrect. Has something to do with the fact that the processor in the phone wont work with memory above 64.
    i am somebody too and i say your info is incorrect. straight from blackberry.com.

Memory
    Expandable memory support for microSD card
    96 MB (Flash memory)
    04-18-08 10:56 AM
    i am somebody too and i say your info is incorrect. straight from blackberry.com.

Memory
    Expandable memory support for microSD card
    96 MB (Flash memory)
    Don't shoot the messenger. I wasn't saying, I was just saying.
    04-18-08 11:02 AM
    lol..no problem. that info has been out for a while. but to temper that, the cdma version of the curve needs more resources...so the extra memory may only apply in theory only.
    04-18-08 11:11 AM
    I would say nothings wrong with the phone. Its probably something in the settings that needs to be changed. That being said, if you can convince them to give you a curve I would go for it.

04-18-08 11:12 AM
    you would have to have 3 replacements within 90 days for the same reason in order for verizon to allow you to get a new model. they offer the comparable technology(which they have a chart to reference). since the curve isnt even out yet, i would assume youd have a hard time getting it!

if this phone gives you an issue, call again and state you want a new model when it is replaced, and they may do it, they dont have to do it though, so be really nice!
    04-18-08 11:51 AM
    you would have to have 3 replacements within 90 days for the same reason in order for verizon to allow you to get a new model. they offer the comparable technology(which they have a chart to reference). since the curve isnt even out yet, i would assume youd have a hard time getting it!

if this phone gives you an issue, call again and state you want a new model when it is replaced, and they may do it, they dont have to do it though, so be really nice!
    If anyone has any luck getting a curve as a replacement for the 8130 please contact me. VZW stated last night that they will not being swapping defective 8130's for Curves. They said you have to pay close to full retail for the Curve, exchange or not. I think VZW got a bad batch of 8130's, lets see if they make it right.
    04-18-08 12:22 PM
    in this post you say they wont change it unless you pay close to retail, and then in the other one you made now they are giving it to you for free? what in the world happened?
    04-19-08 09:31 PM
    Jared.dipane-
    Who are you talking to? Your question makes no sense compared to everyone else's comments...

04-19-08 10:02 PM
    Jared.dipane-
    Who are you talking to? Your question makes no sense compared to everyone else's comments...

the poster,(fuente1) says in one post that verizon wouldnt exchange his phone for a curve, and wont for anyone for free, and that you would have to pay close to retail for it, then he made another post, which is called like pearl dilemma, or something of that nature in the verizon section that says they are replacing it for him for free, so i was asking a question based on those facts,

thanks tho.
    Last edited by jared.dipane; 04-19-08 at 10:09 PM.
    04-19-08 10:06 PM
    Oh, I see... I read back through the posts 3 or 4 times trying to figure out who you were talking to... wasn't sure if I should answer your question or what?

However it looks to me like Fuente1 is saying that Verizon is swapping out his Pearl for another Pearl for free. They will not swap out his Pearl for a Curve for free... Seems clear to me, but maybe I'm missing something from another thread somewhere.
    04-20-08 02:05 PM
    pashan,

check out this post, this is what i was referencing!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/pea...dilemma-30441/
    04-20-08 02:06 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD