I'm weighing the pros and cons of switching my service over to Verizon and would like to hear from current Verizon users. For some background, I've been with T-Mobile as long as I've had a blackberry (since 2006) and have appreciated their pricing and their customer service (which I've always found to be excellent).

That having been said, I find their coverage lacking. I'll struggle with service in reasonably populated areas, and in a number of places I visit regularly (where family live) I'm dependent on a wifi connection, while others have good coverage from AT&T. My understanding is that Verizon's coverage is far more comprehensive. Here are what I see as the pros and cons of jumping ship:

PROS
    -better coverage
    -skype wired into handset (I use skype with some regularity)
    -unlimited international data plan available (this is important to me)

CONS
    -more expensive
    -far fewer options for handsets (for example, I've been able to pick up other GSM blackberry models and use them as needed. Additionally, if I'm in Europe and my Verizon phone dies, I can't walk into a Vodafone or O2 store and buy a new BB as I can currently)
    -my current plan gets me unlimited domestic minutes and unlimited domestic and int'l data for $95/month -- and I wouldn't be able to get it back if I move over and decide I want back in
    -no UMA option (correct me if I'm wrong on this -- my understanding is that the 9650 won't have full voice service over a wifi-only connection)

Any input on your experiences with Verizon (especially with respect to other carriers) would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-10 08:34 PM
    I'm weighing the pros and cons of switching my service over to Verizon and would like to hear from current Verizon users. For some background, I've been with T-Mobile as long as I've had a blackberry (since 2006) and have appreciated their pricing and their customer service (which I've always found to be excellent).

That having been said, I find their coverage lacking. I'll struggle with service in reasonably populated areas, and in a number of places I visit regularly (where family live) I'm dependent on a wifi connection, while others have good coverage from AT&T. My understanding is that Verizon's coverage is far more comprehensive. Here are what I see as the pros and cons of jumping ship:

PROS
    -better coverage
    -skype wired into handset (I use skype with some regularity)
    -unlimited international data plan available (this is important to me)

CONS
    -more expensive
    -far fewer options for handsets (for example, I've been able to pick up other GSM blackberry models and use them as needed. Additionally, if I'm in Europe and my Verizon phone dies, I can't walk into a Vodafone or O2 store and buy a new BB as I can currently)
    -my current plan gets me unlimited domestic minutes and unlimited domestic and int'l data for $95/month -- and I wouldn't be able to get it back if I move over and decide I want back in
    -no UMA option (correct me if I'm wrong on this -- my understanding is that the 9650 won't have full voice service over a wifi-only connection)

Any input on your experiences with Verizon (especially with respect to other carriers) would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

As a long time VZW (and former GTE) customer, I would have to say your PROs and CONs are pretty much on the mark. You're correct, VZW does not enable UMA with Wifi enabled handsets.

The big differentiator you cited also is the Global Blackberry data plan. VZW has pretty much the best value for that. You can have it full time (in place of a domestic BIS which is $30) for $65 if you travel that much. Of course, int'l roaming voice is an arm and a leg (like all of them).

If a device dies while you're abroad...I don't know why you wouldn't be able to move the SIM, it's a Vodafone/VZW SIM, so maybe double check with someone that "really" knows...

Having used my 9530 and 9550 overseas, my experience was seamless (usage in Japan).
    08-09-10 09:49 PM
    As a long time VZW (and former GTE) customer, I would have to say your PROs and CONs are pretty much on the mark. You're correct, VZW does not enable UMA with Wifi enabled handsets.

The big differentiator you cited also is the Global Blackberry data plan. VZW has pretty much the best value for that. You can have it full time (in place of a domestic BIS which is $30) for $65 if you travel that much. Of course, int'l roaming voice is an arm and a leg (like all of them).

If a device dies while you're abroad...I don't know why you wouldn't be able to move the SIM, it's a Vodafone/VZW SIM, so maybe double check with someone that "really" knows...

Having used my 9530 and 9550 overseas, my experience was seamless (usage in Japan).
    Thanks for the reply.

I was under the impression that all Verizon devices needed an ESN (found only on CDMA phones) and that they would only service Verizon branded phones. Does this not apply when roaming internationally?

One other question that has come to mind: I remember seeing topics on here about GPS being locked/unlocked on their BlackBerries. Is there any difference in GPS functionality on VZW BlackBerries compared to the free use I currently get on my 9700 using Google Maps?

Thanks again for the input.

08-10-10 01:19 AM
    What about Sprint? They got nearly as much coverage as Verizon (it's really understated really) but are way cheaper? The phone selection is about as competitive as Verizon but you get like a third less (IE: 450 mins + unlimited data/sms/mms for like 70 bucks methinks?, where Verizon is $39.99 for 4 or 500 minutes, and no texting. Texting is $20-30 on top of that and data is $30 more) at least.
    08-10-10 03:24 AM
    What about Sprint? They got nearly as much coverage as Verizon (it's really understated really) but are way cheaper? The phone selection is about as competitive as Verizon but you get like a third less (IE: 450 mins + unlimited data/sms/mms for like 70 bucks methinks?, where Verizon is $39.99 for 4 or 500 minutes, and no texting. Texting is $20-30 on top of that and data is $30 more) at least.
    Thanks for the info-- to answer your question, the handset-Skype functionality is a major plus for me.

08-10-10 06:53 AM
    Thanks for the reply.

I was under the impression that all Verizon devices needed an ESN (found only on CDMA phones) and that they would only service Verizon branded phones. Does this not apply when roaming internationally?

One other question that has come to mind: I remember seeing topics on here about GPS being locked/unlocked on their BlackBerries. Is there any difference in GPS functionality on VZW BlackBerries compared to the free use I currently get on my 9700 using Google Maps?

Thanks again for the input.

The devices that you can roam internationally with (like the Bold 9650 or Storm 9550) have SIM cards in them.

You can use Google maps without any problems, Verizon, while still maintaining a certain amount of control, has loosened up quite a bit. I'm not aware of any Blackberry designed apps that you can't use on a Verizon blackberry (except maybe TeleNav? but VZ Navigator is okay).

The SIM that is already in those devices is a Vodafone/VZW SIM.

As for the person that asked about Sprint, there's all sorts of hub-bub in the Sprint forum about the fact that Sprint does not currently have an international package (weird).

08-10-10 07:38 AM
    I just want to add to the statement of lack os device selection. I feel company have always made more handsets for GSM carriers than CDMA. Theirfore any CDMA carrier will not have as good of a selection as a GSM carrier.

I used to work for Motorola and the GSM models compaired to the CDMA models was alway 2:1.
    08-10-10 07:52 AM
    Thanks everybody for the insight.

Another question: how does tethering work? I've been able to get my Mac online easily using bluetooth and either the 2G or 3G modem script (as I am doing right now). It's a nice option, especially when I'm outside of the US, and can avoid unnecessarily racking up so many voice roaming charges by getting my laptop online and then calling using Skype.

Thanks again.
    08-12-10 12:49 PM
    Tethering is an extra feature, it costs $30 more if you have the $29.99 data plan and $15 if you have the $44.99 data plan. You have a 5gb cap so it's not really good for VOIP or streaming video/webcam calls etc..
    08-12-10 04:43 PM
    Tethering is an extra feature, it costs $30 more if you have the $29.99 data plan and $15 if you have the $44.99 data plan. You have a 5gb cap so it's not really good for VOIP or streaming video/webcam calls etc..
    How's the performance? Can you connect using bluetooth as well as USB?
    08-12-10 06:42 PM
    How's the performance? Can you connect using bluetooth as well as USB?
    From what I understand, yes you can connect through Bluetooth as well, but it's not as easy as the USB solution.

I've found tethering to work quite well. The speed is very similar to DSL (although it can vary greatly by location), you can get a connection almost anywhere, and it's reliable. However, watch out for the 5 GB cap. Depending on your usage, you may never ever come close, or you could rack up 5 gigs in 3 days!
    08-13-10 10:35 AM
    From what I understand, yes you can connect through Bluetooth as well, but it's not as easy as the USB solution.

I've found tethering to work quite well. The speed is very similar to DSL (although it can vary greatly by location), you can get a connection almost anywhere, and it's reliable. However, watch out for the 5 GB cap. Depending on your usage, you may never ever come close, or you could rack up 5 gigs in 3 days!
    Thanks for the info.

The spotty coverage I'm currently getting on T-Mobile UK is another reason I'm tempted to move over. I'll stop by a store when I get back to the US.

Thanks again for all the input.

08-14-10 06:31 AM
    I made the switch today. And all it took was T-Mobile giving me a huge bill for my data usage while in the UK.

Thanks for the input, everyone.
    08-31-10 03:04 PM
    Um...or you can buy tether, which is 50 dollars one time and runs off of the existing data plan so no chance of overage. And for those who say its prohibited, I have been doing it since tether was tetherberry and had no trouble. If they really want to prohibit it they can, like ATT does!
    09-09-10 02:36 PM
    The points in the first post are right on, I switched from T-mo to Verizon last month.
    09-10-10 12:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD