So I am a verizon customer and have been for some time, however I'm thinking of switching to AT&T. I am constantly switching phone and verizon doesnt have sim cards which sucks. Also their bill pay in store is only by an ATM which has grown very inconvienient. I love verizons coverage and my bf has the same coverage as I do just about all the time. So what does everyone think of both services all around. Have any of you switched from one to the other, and for what reasons? Thanks!
    08-29-09 06:49 PM
    I'm sorry to hear you're having problems but I'll be happy to resolve your issue. The Verizon Wireless corporate store has a kiosk for making payments that will accept debit/credit cards or cash for payments. You can also call #pay or go to verizonwireless.com to make payments.

As for Sim cards, unless your travelling globally you really don't need one. CDMA coverage is available just about everywhere (between us, Alltel towers and former RCC towers, as well as with coverage agreements with other carriers)... If you switch to AT&T the only benefit you'd get is a sim card. If you want one that badly we DO offer global capable deviced (8830, Storm, Tour) that come with a Sim card with GSM capability. You can get one of those and STILL have access to our network and roaming agreements.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-09 07:28 PM
    Whats the reason behind switching phones so frequently?

Like Darthkuriboh said, you can pay your bill online. And if you wanted you could setup automatic bill pay so you'll never even think about it.

The kiosk is designed to save you time by not having to wait in line for a rep to accept your money.

The only reason I would ever switch to AT&T is to get my hands on a phone that I REALLY REALLY want. The coverage all around is not as good as VZW -- in the city it should be about the same.
    08-29-09 07:43 PM
    It won't be. AT&T has a tendancy to crap out a bit here and there the further you get from downtown areas.

08-29-09 07:51 PM

As for Sim cards, unless your travelling globally you really don't need one. CDMA coverage is available just about everywhere (between us, Alltel towers and former RCC towers, as well as with coverage agreements with other carriers)... If you switch to AT&T the only benefit you'd get is a sim card. If you want one that badly we DO offer global capable deviced (8830, Storm, Tour) that come with a Sim card with GSM capability. You can get one of those and STILL have access to our network and roaming agreements.
    I think she meant that for when she switches phones. For some it can be a hassle to have to call verizon to activate the new phone, as opposed to GSM phones where all one has to do is swap SIM cards.

I switched TO AT&T from Verizon about 5 months ago. Truthfully as soon as I can recover financially from the ******** amount of money I just paid the IRS, I'm going to pay the ETF with AT&T and go back to Verizon. I switched from Verizon because AT&T offered a decent phone (Bold) and the monthly bill was going to be a bit less than what I was paying with Verizon. I love the phone, but the service has failed me on more than one occasion. Failed me in areas where Verizon coverage wasn't an issue. I have yet to go into an area where Verizon coverage was inferior to AT&T, at least where I live.

So as I just got a bit of a raise at work, I'm going to be returning to Verizon sometime in the near future. The monthly Verizon bill shouldn't be much of a problem for me anymore. I would suggest you do what I did. Don't port your number just yet (if that's your intention), but activate service with AT&T if that's what you want. See how that service is going to work, and if you think you'll be happy with it, then you can call customer service and have them port your existing number. Good luck!
    Last edited by efn77mx; 08-29-09 at 07:54 PM. Reason: forgot important info
    08-29-09 07:52 PM
    So I am a verizon customer and have been for some time, however I'm thinking of switching to AT&T. I am constantly switching phone and verizon doesnt have sim cards which sucks. Also their bill pay in store is only by an ATM which has grown very inconvienient. I love verizons coverage and my bf has the same coverage as I do just about all the time. So what does everyone think of both services all around. Have any of you switched from one to the other, and for what reasons? Thanks!
    I'm sorry to hear you're thinking about switching from Verizon Wireless, what I'll do for you is go through your issues and try to get to the bottom of them to create a promotor experience from you. So are you upset because you have to make a payment via the bill payment kiosk? I understand that there are certain inconveniences for having to go to the store to do this. However, Verizon Wireless offers many other ways to pay your bill all free of charge. You can dial #pmt, login to your verizon wireless account at New Cell Phones, CPO Cell Phones, Prepaid Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans - Verizon Wireless. You can also mail a check to our payment lockbox (addresses vary by area).

I also understand the want to be able to use sim cards, as this is a very convenient way to switch between phones. Verizon has only recently created a way to switch between like device over the air! You can dial *228 Option #3 and enter the # you want to activate the phone and that's it! If you were to switch carriers, you would lose the reliability of the Verizon Wireless network along with the most unlimited calling of any provider.

So today we went over other options to make payments and I explained how you can change a phone without going through a representative or online, does this resolve all your questions for today? Thanks for being the best part of Verizon Wireless -- our customer.
    Last edited by Weekendbum; 08-29-09 at 07:56 PM.
    08-29-09 07:54 PM
    I'm sorry to hear you're thinking about switching from Verizon Wireless, what I'll do for you is go through your issues and try to get to the bottom of them to create a promotor experience from you. So are you upset because you have to make a payment via the bill payment kiosk? I understand that there are certain inconveniences for having to go to the store to do this. However, Verizon Wireless offers many other ways to pay your bill all free of charge. You can dial #pmt, login to your verizon wireless account at New Cell Phones, CPO Cell Phones, Prepaid Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans - Verizon Wireless. You can also mail a check to our payment lockbox (addresses vary by area).

I also understand the want to be able to use sim cards, as this is a very convenient way to switch between phones. Verizon has only recently created a way to switch between like device over the air! You can dial *228 Option #3 and enter the # you want to activate the phone and that's it! If you were to switch carriers, you would lose the reliability of the Verizon Wireless network along with the most unlimited calling of any provider.

So today we went over other options to make payments and I explained how you can change a phone without going through a representative or online, does this resolve all your questions for today? Thanks for being the best part of Verizon Wireless -- our customer.
    Glad to see VZW forums got cleaned up
    08-29-09 07:57 PM
    Having tried both it has been my experience that verizon has a better network. However ATT is a close second. Price wise they are pretty much the same. Go with the one that has the phone you want.

08-29-09 08:01 PM
    I'm sorry to hear you're thinking about switching from Verizon Wireless, what I'll do for you is go through your issues and try to get to the bottom of them to create a promoter experience from you. So are you upset because you have to make a payment via the bill payment kiosk? I understand that there are certain inconveniences for having to go to the store to do this. However, Verizon Wireless offers many other ways to pay your bill all free of charge. You can dial #pmt, login to your verizon wireless account at New Cell Phones, CPO Cell Phones, Prepaid Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans - Verizon Wireless. You can also mail a check to our payment lockbox (addresses vary by area).

Way to get those quality points!! haha.. And hopefully a 10 on VOC and NPS.
    08-29-09 08:05 PM
    If it's going to simplify your life, I say go for it!

08-29-09 08:12 PM
    Hey weekend, *I* took this call *laughs*

08-29-09 08:19 PM
    I have switched phones between VZW phones easily. IMO easier them SIM cards since you don't risk breaking the SIM cards. Down side is that the phone's ESN has to be clear or else it won't work. With SIM cards, any phone from that carrier or unlocked can use a SIM car weather it's stolen, lost, bad payment history..etc.

CDMA coverage is far superior them GSM in my area and the areas I go to. But again, it's in my area and 99% or all the places I go to. (This opinion is different for everyone else) I was just in N.H. and all the CDMA phones worked and GSM worked but you had to be outside and even then, CDMA on the other hand, had no issues and no drop calls.

If your BF has the same coverage as you then go for it. Plus a lot of providers give you a 30-day trial period and you pay for what you used, worse thing that happens is that you don't like it and you go back.
    08-29-09 09:22 PM
    Depending on the area AT&T may be just as good or better than Verizion for coverage. In my area (South of Houston) AT&T is superior to Verizion, so the mantra that Verizion is always superior is not true. Cost wise the are more or less equal. AT&T does have the Best BB out now, the Bold.
    Last edited by cajunrph; 08-29-09 at 09:59 PM.
    08-29-09 09:53 PM
    Actually, according to real statistics, vzw has the larger footprint in the houston metro area. AT&T is right behind, but, as always, is behind. Plus, Tour>Bold by magnitudes

08-29-09 10:16 PM
    LMAO
    U get a perfect 80 pts!!!
    *giggles*

08-29-09 10:22 PM
    Besides, in the game of expand and conquer, VZW is, by far and wide, winning. Their service gets better by the day, and has all but dominated the race to cell provider superiority. The CSR's on VZW are second to none, the selection of phones are awesome, and getting better all the time, and the devices available through VZW are among the top in the industry. Unless your bent on owning an iPhone, VZW is, in my humble opinion, the only intelligent provider to use.
    08-29-09 10:59 PM
    Down side is that the phone's ESN has to be clear or else it won't work. With SIM cards, any phone from that carrier or unlocked can use a SIM car weather it's stolen, lost, bad payment history..etc.
    Not sure how not being able to steal a phone is a downside???

08-30-09 12:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD