I have a LG Dare now. I work for a University so I get a discount on my service. The plan I have is the 450 minute plan for $39.99 befor the discount. I want to upgrade to a Blackberry. I surfed through these post and its very confusing. From what I understand I pay for a voice plan and then $29.99 for the Blackberry plan. Is this for unlimited internet, emails, anything else?? As far as the voice plan...Am I limited on which one I go with? Can I just stay with the $39 plan?
    Also, with all the Blackberrys to choose from which one? Should I wait for the Storm 2. Are there any that are like the Storm 2 (features and software)but not in a touch screen. I constantly hit the wrong buttons on my Dare.
    Next issue, I still have a year left on my NE2 contract. I dont want to pay full retail. Suggestions??
    I actually have 2 seperate plans. I have my plan and I have a family plan with 2 phones on it that I have my parents on (they are older)my fathers phone is up for renewl but he will be keeping his Razor because it will confuse the heck out of him trying to learn how to use a new phone.
    08-23-09 09:13 PM
    You can find out all you need from verizonwireless.com or by contacting customer service... however...

You will be paying for a blackberry plan 29.99 for basic Blackberry Internet Service. $44.99 if you have a corporate server ( doesnt sound like you do )
    Most likey you can leave your other packages and plans alone. You are most likely just looking at an increase of appx $30 to your portion of the bill.
    I refuse to make suggestions on which phone you get. I would just suggest you go to the store and try the phones out yourself. Keep in mind; newer is not always better.

Good luck in your blackberry quest.
    08-23-09 10:06 PM
    yes you can stay with the 39 dollar plan......you should be eligible for an annual upgrade @ 2 year pricing without the NE2 discount
    08-23-09 10:22 PM
    You can find out all you need from verizonwireless.com or by contacting customer service... however...

You will be paying for a blackberry plan 29.99 for basic Blackberry Internet Service. $44.99 if you have a corporate server ( doesnt sound like you do )
    Most likey you can leave your other packages and plans alone. You are most likely just looking at an increase of appx $30 to your portion of the bill.
    I refuse to make suggestions on which phone you get. I would just suggest you go to the store and try the phones out yourself. Keep in mind; newer is not always better.

Good luck in your blackberry quest.
    I like coming to these forums for opinions because if you call Verizon they push stuff on you and most people here know more about the Blackberrys and the plans then the guys you call.
    I want a Blackberry that works. From what I have read the re doesnt seem to be many people who like the Storm 1. Thats why I was asking about recommendations on one. I also always seem to hit the wrong buttons on my touch screen Dare, and the touch screens just seem like they would be more prone to problems.
    08-24-09 07:23 AM
    From what I have read the re doesnt seem to be many people who like the Storm 1. Thats why I was asking about recommendations on one. I also always seem to hit the wrong buttons on my touch screen Dare, and the touch screens just seem like they would be more prone to problems.
    If you don't live well with touchscreen (I don't either), you won't want to wait for the Storm2, as it will also be touchscreen.

Choose you calling plan, texting package, then add $29.99 for the data plan.

Also, determine what you need/want your phone to do. If you don't have a need/desire for basic Internet on a phone or you're looking for something that can view most Web pages without hassle, you might not want a BlackBerry.

Upcoming Samsung Rogues, current enV Touch devices & others offer basically similar features for less money. Other smartphones offer a better Internet experience for similar money.

BlackBerrys are decent devices - but taking a look around here at problems, issues, complaints & incompatibilities will show you they are not perfect, nor the most capable.
    08-24-09 09:59 AM
    BlackBerrys are decent devices - but taking a look around here at problems, issues, complaints & incompatibilities will show you they are not perfect, nor the most capable.
    Just to follow-up on this, most people come to a web site like this to voice complaints. Rarely ever do you get a "I LOVE MY BLACKBERRY" thread. Ask most blackberry owners, and most will tell you how much they love it.

That being said, we can't tell you what to get. If you don't like the touch screen, then you need to consider either the Tour, Curve, or Pearl. Tour has best screen, most memory, and quad-band GSM for if you go overseas, however it is known to have a problem with the trackball. The Curve is a workhorse, but it has less memory and will run a little slower. The Pearl has the surepress keypad, which takes some getting used to.

You need to consider what your needs are. As was said, a Blackberry is an extra $30/month. If you just want e-mail and some light web browsing, there are other phones and plans that might interest you more.
    08-24-09 03:37 PM
    Just to follow-up on this, most people come to a web site like this to voice complaints. Rarely ever do you get a "I LOVE MY BLACKBERRY" thread. Ask most blackberry owners, and most will tell you how much they love it.

That being said, we can't tell you what to get. If you don't like the touch screen, then you need to consider either the Tour, Curve, or Pearl. Tour has best screen, most memory, and quad-band GSM for if you go overseas, however it is known to have a problem with the trackball. The Curve is a workhorse, but it has less memory and will run a little slower. The Pearl has the surepress keypad, which takes some getting used to.

You need to consider what your needs are. As was said, a Blackberry is an extra $30/month. If you just want e-mail and some light web browsing, there are other phones and plans that might interest you more.
    From looking of Verizons website, it looks like the prices for the internet etc, are the same price wether its a Blackberry or not.

Please excuse all my dumb questions. Is there a website or anything that I can goto that will explain to me exactly what a Blackberry is? From the post I see above, I see that I can get email and surf the net with other phones besides the Blackberry. So why get the Blackberry?
    I want to get my Email & surf the net without worrying about overages, etc. I just figured a Blackberry would be the best tool.
    08-24-09 04:08 PM
    Have you gone into a store? They will be able to show you the devices and let you play with them.
    08-24-09 04:11 PM
    Have you gone into a store? They will be able to show you the devices and let you play with them.
    All the Verizon stores around me you take a number, wait for at least a half hour, or more, for a rude salesman who does'nt know sh*t, to pressure you into buying something while telling you to hurry up because theres more customers. Every Verizon store I have been in has been like this.
    08-24-09 04:41 PM
    From looking of Verizons website, it looks like the prices for the internet etc, are the same price wether its a Blackberry or not.

Please excuse all my dumb questions. Is there a website or anything that I can goto that will explain to me exactly what a Blackberry is? From the post I see above, I see that I can get email and surf the net with other phones besides the Blackberry. So why get the Blackberry?
    I want to get my Email & surf the net without worrying about overages, etc. I just figured a Blackberry would be the best tool.
    A very good article covering all the platforms - a bit long, but it loads on mobile with some patience - is found below:

Ultimate Mobile OS Showdown: iPhone vs Android vs webOs vs Blackberry vs Windows Mobile vs Symbian | Maximum PC

Bear in mind it is slightly dated - it is from this year - and doesn't include the latest or even much reference to what is about to arrive.

And BlackBerry fans, it is even complimentary to BlackBerry - but Palm comes out better in many regards, as does all platforms. WM is tested on a dated Treo & they admit many of their review points could vary widely depending on the particular WM device. . It all depends on what is important to you.

Read the article, running from page to page, then go back & read the comments. You'll find the article to be mostly unbiased with the comments typically a bit more biased - but the comments do point out some variables the article may have overlooked.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-09 05:12 PM
    Okay, back to basics... Let's forget you are even interested in a blackberry...
    Write down what exactly you want your phone to do. Do you want it to play music? Full keyboard important? Is getting your email on the go important? Do you travel overseas often. Ect. AZX2s article is good but I'm sure you want laymens terms.
    Agreeing with my collegues regarding the phone choices its up to you. Tour trackball in most cases.. Not all.. But most can be resolved by adjusting trackball sensitivity. it flys for the most part OS wise. I have a curve and consider it the best beginners blackberry available. Some might disagree but its just my opinion.
    AZ is right that if you go over what you need a blackberry may NOT be for you. YOU have to make that choice.

08-24-09 06:59 PM
    Okay, back to basics... Let's forget you are even interested in a blackberry...
    Write down what exactly you want your phone to do. Do you want it to play music? Full keyboard important? Is getting your email on the go important? Do you travel overseas often. Ect. AZX2s article is good but I'm sure you want laymens terms.
    Agreeing with my collegues regarding the phone choices its up to you. Tour trackball in most cases.. Not all.. But most can be resolved by adjusting trackball sensitivity. it flys for the most part OS wise. I have a curve and consider it the best beginners blackberry available. Some might disagree but its just my opinion.
    AZ is right that if you go over what you need a blackberry may NOT be for you. YOU have to make that choice.

I want to get my Email, weather, & look up stuff on the web. Thats it. I just thought a BlackBerry is what is best to do that with. I also believe that the prices are the same for the Email and Web access. I do not need videos or music. I dont travel overseas often.
    08-24-09 07:30 PM
    Verizon wants $5.00 for Email and $15.00 for mobile web. I would also have to get a new phone, because the website says my phone will not do mobile web.
    So it would be $20.00 and a new phone. The only phone I even like that would do what I want is the EnV3 Touch.

Wouldnt I be better just getting the BlackBerry since its only $9 more?
    If I got a BlackBerry I would get a Tour
    08-24-09 08:59 PM
    Verizon wants $5.00 for Email and $15.00 for mobile web. I would also have to get a new phone, because the website says my phone will not do mobile web.
    So it would be $20.00 and a new phone. The only phone I even like that would do what I want is the EnV3 Touch.

Wouldnt I be better just getting the BlackBerry since its only $9 more?
    If I got a BlackBerry I would get a Tour
    Rogue/enV/Dare
    450 minute plan (adjust as needed) :$39.99
    Web/email: $15.00
    Text: $5-$20

Smartphone:
    Web/email: $29.99

Difference: $14.99/mo or $179.88/yr or $359.76 over a 2yr contract. Add tax & you're perilously close to $400.

Add in the extra $20-$200 for smartphone price difference, plus higher insurance, if you choose to carry it.

That is what you need to determine if it is worth to you.
    08-24-09 09:48 PM
    Another way to look at the price difference is this:

450 minute BlackBerry with unlimited texting is right at $90/mo with VZNavigator an additional $10 for a few pennies shy of $100.

450 minute Premium plan on an enV-type phone is $79.99 and that price includes unlimited text/data/email AND VZNavigator, plus vCast.
    08-24-09 09:54 PM
    Rogue/enV/Dare
    Web/email: $15.00

Smartphone:
    Web/email: $29.99

Difference: $14.99/mo or $179.88/yr or $359.76 over a 2yr contract. Add tax & you're perilously close to $400.

Add in the extra $20-$200 for smartphone price difference, plus higher insurance, if you choose to carry it.

That is what you need to determine if it is worth to you.

You list web and email together. It is seperate. Email is $5.00 and web is $15.00. So web/email is $20.00 not $15.00. This is what Verizon told me. I also went to where you compare phones and it says that my phone (LG Dare)will not do mobile web. If it was only $15 for web and Email and my Dare would do it I would add it in a minute.
    08-24-09 09:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD