09-21-09 09:01 AM
47 12
tools
    helps me make another point about implimenting wifi! Travel overseas with no data, be it in Iraq, or even a big city like london or Paris and wifi will be of tramendous value if there are issues with data connectivity!

I think this is all Verizon trying to keep a lease on its customers pocket books and nothing more!
    03-21-09 12:57 PM
    VZW global phone portfolio which is growing fast will work in numerous countries, including those countries that support CDMA. VZW is pertnered with VODA phone in europe, which if I am not mistaken is the LARGEST carrier over there.
    And it is rumored Verizon, separate from VZW is working on an outright buyout of all VZW properties and possibly Vodaphone.
    helps me make another point about implimenting wifi! Travel overseas with no data, be it in Iraq, or even a big city like london or Paris and wifi will be of tramendous value if there are issues with data connectivity!
    Fine - pick up a VZW WinMo phone (they have WiFi), go join HowardForums and enjoy a one-way ticket to France.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-09 01:19 PM
    The first thing I want too say is I have no dog in any fight. I am merely reporting my real world experience so that nobody else gets burned like me.

I am an overseas contractor. Before I deployed to Iraq I got myself a Verizon World Edition Blackberry. Since then I have been paying almost $200 a month for unlimited date service

Upon arrival in Iraq the BB unit seemed to work fine. The problems began 3 weeks ago when I left Iraq. Upon arrival in Amman the BB had no service. A day llater, upon arrival in Paris, the BB did not have service. The same day, upon arrival in Malaga, the BB had no service. This went on for a week. Then back to Amman, where upon arrival the BB had no service. 5 days llater, when I arrived at the Dead Sea suddenly the BB started working again (interestingly I got one of those welcome to Israel mesages even though I was in Jordan). The moment I left the Dead Sea, once again, no service. Arrival in Amman, no service.

Upon return to Iraq, no service.

Verizon was simply unable to fix whatever the problem was. At first they tried to blame the BB unit but the fact that the unit worked at the Dead Sea that 1-day makes that a disingenuous argument (to any booger eating moron at least).

Ultimately I had to terminate the service. Verizon was never able to fix the problem. And clearly the problem was with Verizon and not the BB unit. Every tiime they told me to go too thhis screen or that screen, the screens all said the same thing. NO SERVICE.

The word has spread very quickly here in Iraq. Verizon is not a BB service provider that you can rely upon here. And certainly when you are operating in an environment where your very life might depend upon your comms.

I highly recommend anybody considering a global type BB service go to another provider. Verizon's Global Edition simply does not deliver. And all I have now is esentially a $200+ alarm clock.

Avoid Verizon like the plague.

The above is simply fact.
    That sucks sorry to hear that. One problem as mentioned below is that the 8830 is dual band GSM not quad band. That being said, Verizon is the best carrier in the US, for international T-Mobile is the best. I am a world traveller like you and there is no place T-Mobile doesn't work.
    03-21-09 01:22 PM
    Cool rican is back with the wifi argument. Was a nice break I have to admit. Once again wrong place to bring this issue to. YAWN!

03-21-09 01:25 PM
    Cool rican is back with the wifi argument. Was a nice break I have to admit. Once again wrong place to bring this issue to. YAWN!
    There was ever an argument? To be on the side of advocating a CDMA BlackBerry with WiFi is like asking Ferrari to make a hybrid.

And those who argue for it are about as bright as the soul who brings a popsicle stick (not a knife) to a gunfight.

Thanks, but I'll stick with my 45.

03-21-09 01:41 PM
    Haha this guy cracks me up!

03-21-09 04:01 PM
    Wow... I can't believe this thread exists...

03-21-09 04:12 PM
    Haha this guy cracks me up!
    The OP or me?
    Wow... I can't believe this thread exists...
    No kidding. An EOL device and the clown titles the thread "Verizon World Edition."

Nevermind such a device doesn't exist and he blames VZW instead of RIM.

Now you all do know that there are a couple carriers out there who pay people to go onto sites like this, just to stir up trouble, right?

Okay Joe, you're scheduled for "Open Internet Marketing" (that is what one of the carriers actually calls it) from 2P-4P this week. You will use the free email sites to generate email accounts to create accounts on sites A, C, D & H this week.

They then go out & post crap about VZW supposedly locking GPS or to make people think WiFi is a bigger deal than it is. They know that a lot of potential buyers read these sites for info regarding a possible purchase decision and the facts don't favor those companies.

They don't have an answer for the Storm & that is causing problems in their BlackBerry marketing, so let's cause some doubt on VZW by picking on the now ancient 8830WE that VZW only offers as a device.

They always conveniently leave out the fact that better than 99% of North American cell phone users will never travel outside the US, Canada or Mexico, and if they do, they probably wouldn't want to pay international rates on any carrier.

My travel agent puts brochures in their packages recommending that those travelling abroad for vacation NOT use their US phones (any carrier) overseas and instead buy/rent a phone local to the area they are going to.

I'd have to say conservatively that at least half of the anti-VZW posts are crafted by other carriers' employees. And when it is a post unfairly critical of VZW (let's blame VZW for something RIM/LG/MOTO/HTC/Samsung did), the percentage is probably far higher.

03-21-09 05:24 PM
    The comment about the popsicle cracked me up!

03-21-09 06:14 PM
    Of course, that works both ways too, and Verizon isn't the only target of viral marketing like that...

03-21-09 06:24 PM
    Smart thinking! As also mentioned, 8830 WE lacks all GSM bands.
    The 8830 does have GSM...

"Dualband 900/1800 Mhz GSM/GPRS
    (outside North America)"

It's possible that these bands are not available in the particular areas he/she was in. I have VZ 8830 for my personal phone. I'm not a VZ defender, but it's possible that a VZW rep would not know what bands are in use in a particular country, even if you asked.
    03-21-09 07:40 PM
    Of course, that works both ways too, and Verizon isn't the only target of viral marketing like that...
    Very true - I know Weekendbum & lastraid have said things about AT&T here.

Actually, VZW has it in their policy that they do not allow their people to badmouth the competition. What their employees do in their off-time is their business, though.

03-21-09 09:08 PM
    Very true - I know Weekendbum & lastraid have said things about AT&T here.

Actually, VZW has it in their policy that they do not allow their people to badmouth the competition. What their employees do in their off-time is their business, though.

I think that DAD has a sevear case of Crainial Rectosis, would never bad mouth another carrier
    03-21-09 09:27 PM
    You might not, but hey - I do.

The sad thing is, you don't know what it is like to badmouth a carrier, until you talk to the AT&T engineers I get to talk to regularly - man, I thought I was hard on AT&T. Compared to them, I am a complete pussycat. Sheesh!

03-21-09 10:18 PM
    I can imagine what you get to hear.
    03-21-09 10:52 PM
    I can imagine what you get to hear.
    It can be interesting. Even in the company dealings we have to deal with, AT&T typically wants it done to a price - nothing more. VZW's attitude is pretty much whatever it takes without giving away the farm. Both companies are budget minded, it just always seems that AT&T wants it done for 60 cents on the dollar. Corner cutting is the basic MO. VZW specifies cable brand, type & acceptable countries of origin, while AT&T doesn't care what it is as long as it meets minimum spec.

The engineers for both companies are good people - hard working & honest - but the poor AT&T folks always look stressed, while their VZW counterparts always seem to be happy. The corporate attitude has its effects and I get to hear all of it.

03-22-09 12:17 AM
    Stress is usually passed down from upper management , Sounds like att is being penny wise and pound foolish.

Oops does that constitute bad mouthing another carrier?
    Last edited by lastraid; 03-22-09 at 04:23 PM.
    03-22-09 08:37 AM
    I have a Storm 9530, and I have traveled for work to Asia, but have always had service wherever I went with no problems.
    03-22-09 04:13 PM
    i have a storm, I just returned from a month in Europe and had great service everywhere, my guess is the same as others, you need a quad band gsm phone.
    03-22-09 09:20 PM
    did you try the blackberry mesenger
    03-22-09 09:59 PM
    I am in Israel and the BB does not work, and I too am being charged $170/month. Does anyone know an office in Israel (preferably Jerusalem) where I can go for help?
    Thank you.
    09-21-09 03:02 AM
    Whats with the resurrecting of old threads?
    09-21-09 09:01 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD