Back in the day.. when I did CS work.. I had a customer tell me his phone only worked when he stood on his 7th floor balcony..naked.. with one knee bent..

amazing
    06-16-10 08:46 AM
    Back in the day.. when I did CS work.. I had a customer tell me his phone only worked when he stood on his 7th floor balcony..naked.. with one knee bent..

amazing
    Perhaps he was so disappointed that he was making a point thru sarcasm?

Remember, back in the day reception was pretty iffy.
    06-16-10 09:01 AM
    The fact that you poke fun of anything a customer says or does shows you don't know the first thing about customer service.

You just don't get it.
    Care to elaborate? How is finding the humor in my job equate to not knowing the first thing about it?

In any position dealing with the public, you will encounter clueless people. You will encounter people who do things that are entertaining. And you will inevitably encounter people who attempt to get their way through verbal abuse.
    Does a garbage man complain that people produce garbage?

You should thank your stars there are customers needing your assistance. If there weren't, you wouldn't have a job.

There are two sides to the customer service world. Until you have done such a job, you cannot claim to understand how things work. And I'm sure you would never have lowered yourself that far, right? The fact of the matter is that I have been yelled at, sworn at, and been called names on many occasions. Unfortunately, the majority of those situations stemmed from problems I had zero control over. Is that fair to me as an employee?
    Go find a job in a different field.
    06-16-10 09:11 AM
    Comparing apples and oranges. Everyone creates garbage. Not everyone needs customer assistance.

You should thank your stars there are customers needing your assistance.
    I don't think these reps aren't grateful for their jobs, nor do they not appreciate their customers. However, there are some customers who, no matter what, say things that are just plain stupid. I'm solely a customer, I've never worked on the customer service side, and *I've* laughed when I was standing in line at the Verizon store and have heard people say things along the lines that are being showcased here.

Just because you may happen to be the perfect customer who has a perfect track record with customer service doesn't mean everyone is. I mean, you don't find it funny that someone calls Verizon tech support, hears them say Verizon about a billion times as you wait for a human to get on the phone, and then start saying "my iPhone isn't working"?
    06-16-10 09:53 AM

You should thank your stars there are customers needing your assistance. If there weren't, you wouldn't have a job.

Yeah dude, go cry about it.. People in the CS field should be rewarded for dealing with some of the customers like they do.

Majority of customers are idiots, plain and simple.
    06-16-10 10:09 AM
    Of course you are a perfect example of your own comments.
    06-16-10 11:50 AM
    Wow, great response... You base this on what? That you're in 4th grade and you know everything?

Damn my e-feelings are so hurt.
    06-16-10 12:02 PM
    Wow, great response... You base this on what? That you're in 4th grade and you know everything?

It's based on your comments and responses.
    06-16-10 12:11 PM
    Um.... ok....? When have I ever asked or said anything dumb to a customer service rep?
    06-16-10 12:31 PM
    Since the feeeeg remark sparked such a debate....let me weigh in, and try to explain from both sides....

Wife had a razr that would not hold charge for more than 3 hours, was only about 3 months old, she went to verizon store in mall.
    I seriously could nto believe that they would not change the battery at no charge, and needed the account holders authorization to change a free battery. Is that just dumb or is it me?
    It is dumb, but, since the return/exchange receipt has a line that says "customer signature" they do kind of need your permission, even though it's free. Aside from that, if it's not the store you normally go into, how do they KNOW that it's your wife? I deal with a ton of customers on a daily basis and I promise, unless you're in at least once a month and I normally deal with you, I don't remember people with you well enough to assume that they've got permission to do stuff for you.

"OK, seriously, I don't have time for this" ???
    I'm so sorry the company was trying to be professional in contacting you to approve this replacement.
    I think that remark is understandable yet way out of line....but, that's just me....instead of smarting off about it, explain WHY they were being professional and contacting him....

The FACT the woman was in possession of the phone and the FACT there was no charge to the account and the FACT there are NO limits to warranty replacements makes your argument moot.
    the FACT that the woman was in possession of the phone in no way shape or form implies that she's the person that's SUPPOSED to have the phone, what if it was stolen and someone was trying to fish up more info? there are rules because of crappy things like this being done. the FACT that there's no charge to the account is fine, but, the receipt that's generated has the phone number, and account, and if memory serves, the account holder's name on it, which, if it IS someone trying to fish information, is enough to start them in the right direction for trying to do something very unsavory if they're so inclined. Policies are there for LEGAL reasons, and I genuinely feel sorry for people that get mad because their interests are being looked out for when someone takes the time to verify the account the way they're SUPPOSED to...though, the way it's supposed to go in retail, at least in my state, is physical ID verification, and if you aren't on the account, no info and no help, sorry. If that rule is across the board in all states, then the person who made the call and exception to help the lady infront of him out, was actually breaking rules to try to help out, but was covering his tail to make sure that it was kosher.

As a whole, I'd say I agree with Feeeeg, it was a bit ridiculous, but, better safe than sorry, and, if it ended in good natured laughing, then it's all good (which, I must say, the original post didn't come across as, it really sounded like Feeeeg was mad at the end of it instead of laughing with the rep and getting it taken care of)

and that....is my 0.02

oh, and for a story....

customer comes in, has a phone in 5 or 6 pieces, asks if we can get the phonebook out of the phone and into the new one.... and dumps said pieces on the counter beside me.

I looked at em, picked one up and said "yep, here's the phonebook, but, I don't think I can make it fit in the other phone..." and frowned a little....handed them the piece (pretty sure it was the speaker from the top half of the phone) and then picked up the whole bottom half which was still intact, as well as their new phone, hooked em up, got the phonebook transferred, and then when I come back the customer's looking at me and asks "so, like, how do I get the phone numbers out of this thing?" I smiled and handed them the phone back, complete with new phonebook contents, and they started laughing when they realized I'd been messing with them.

They left happy, and thanking me a few times for the laugh, and their contacts. Those are my favorite kinds of customers, the ones that genuinely appreciate the little things, as well as anything that you can do for them, unlike the ones that come in angry and demanding treatment that not even employees get.
    06-17-10 12:45 AM
    ^well said
    06-17-10 06:16 AM

Um.... ok....? When have I ever asked or said anything dumb to a customer service rep?
    Your comments and responses here, not to a CSR.

Not a big deal, lets get on with life.
    06-17-10 07:30 AM
    Your logic is just absolutely impeccable.
    06-17-10 08:50 AM
    Wow I had no clue that I was going to start such an uproar

Lets just say as an add on, that if the csr rep had looked at my wifes license I am sure that she would have known that this transaction was on the up and up.

I do not have a common last name, lets say its not along the lines of smith, roberts, jones, white. We deal with that verizon store often enough, the lady that took care of my wife has taken care of her in the past, and my wife has taken care of her while she shopped at my wifes store in the mall.

I maybe should have stated in original post that all was well at the end, added my wife as an account manager, and we laughed at the irony of the situation.

On a side note, my storm recently turned into a brick with a speaker for playing music. The Csr rep I dealt with the other day is now sending me a new S2 a month early. We were both very nice on the phone with each other,,, and she commented on my account.

Rep: I'm looking at your account now to see if we can help you
    pause
    Rep: Wow!
    Me: I'm sorry what?
    Rep: Youve been with us since '01
    Me: Correct, actually longer since we were account holder on the company you bought (Connecticut Telephone i think it was)
    Me: Why is that a wow?
    Rep: No not length but payment history
    Me: Uhhh (now wondering oh boy, they are not going to give me early upgrade)
    Rep: No not bad, you have only missed one payment since '01
    Me: This is good?
    Rep: **** yeah I've never seen someone with an account that old only missing one payment
    Me: Ok cool, didn't know that
    Rep: I dont think there will be much of an issue at all getting you an upgrade I'll be right back have to clear it with my supervisor.
    Me: Ok

Needless to say Sup authorized it and I have a new S2 coming soon.

I have no problems with any of the reps I have ever dealt with at VZW, nor did I have a problem with that rep that my story, I was just astonished at the policy.
    06-17-10 10:51 AM

No, they don't. And I don't complain when customers come in and ask for my help, provided they do so in a civilized manner.

I'm well aware that customers are a necessary part of business. What I am saying is that some customers have no respect and are very nasty in their interactions. If people can't treat me with respect, they are not welcome. Can you think of a job where this shouldn't be the case?

I notice you failed to answer my question or even address what I said. Are you saying it's my problem if people choose not to treat me with respect? Why should I find a new job because of their lack of courtesy? Is that how you would handle it?
    06-17-10 01:08 PM
    No, they don't. And I don't complain when customers come in and ask for my help, provided they do so in a civilized manner.

I'm well aware that customers are a necessary part of business. What I am saying is that some customers have no respect and are very nasty in their interactions. If people can't treat me with respect, they are not welcome. Can you think of a job where this shouldn't be the case?
    You aren't being paid to be treated with respect. You are paid to provide service to your company's customers, regardless of their stupidity and in spite of themselves.

I notice you failed to answer my question or even address what I said. Are you saying it's my problem if people choose not to treat me with respect? Why should I find a new job because of their lack of courtesy? Is that how you would handle it?
    You might as well stay in your current position, because it is likely you would have these same issues in every job you try. You're mistaken if you don't realize these types of people are every where and you'll come across them until the day you die.

You aren't going to change them, so you might as well learn how to smile and move on; otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy.

It's not your fault they act as they do, but it is your fault you react as you do.

Capiche?
    06-17-10 02:17 PM
    You aren't being paid to be treated with respect. You are paid to provide service to your company's customers, regardless of their stupidity and in spite of themselves.
    This is where you are incorrect. I am not paid to be anyone's emotional punching bag. There is never a situation where you should feel comfortable being disrespectful to a stranger; the golden rule exists for a reason ("treat other as you wish to be treated"). You are obviously ignorant when it comes to dealing with people, which would explain your suggestions that I should take whatever attitude is dealt to me. Please name a job where "taking verbal abuse" is in the job description.

You're mistaken if you don't realize these types of people are every where and you'll come across them until the day you die.

You aren't going to change them, so you might as well learn how to smile and move on; otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy.
    You are correct that I won't change them, and I don't expect to. I do expect them to have manners. Do you not expect that of people?

It's not your fault they act as they do, but it is your fault you react as you do.
    Once again, how would YOU react? Would you sit and take it? You love to point out the error in my ways, so how would you, in all your infinite wisdom, handle it?

There will always be jerks around. As of right now, I can safely conclude that you're one of them. You've added nothing to the discussion, beyond uninformed accusations that we are not doing our jobs. If you exhibit the behaviors you are suggesting we should exhibit, I congratulate you on being a pushover.
    06-17-10 05:14 PM
    There will always be jerks around. As of right now, I can safely conclude that you're one of them. You've added nothing to the discussion, beyond uninformed accusations that we are not doing our jobs. If you exhibit the behaviors you are suggesting we should exhibit, I congratulate you on being a pushover.
    I'm just offering some lessons learned. I'm sorry if you are taking it the wrong way (or if I'm not clear in my delivery).

Of course those inconsiderate customers are in the wrong, but it's not likely you're going to change their ways, no matter how hard you try.

Let me repeat...

...it's not your fault they act as they do, but it is your fault you react as you do.

If acting like them makes your day, go for it. But afterward, I'll bet you'll regret it.

Have a great day and a great life.
    06-17-10 06:34 PM
    I'm just offering some lessons learned. I'm sorry if you are taking it the wrong way (or if I'm not clear in my delivery).
    Once again, you either don't address, or just flat out don't read what I say.

"Stand there and take it because it's your job" is not a life lesson. Don't act as though you are bestowing some great knowledge upon me.

Of course those inconsiderate customers are in the wrong, but it's not likely you're going to change their ways, no matter how hard you try.
    Two things here. First of all, I already said I wasn't looking to change their behavior. Secondly, if you admit in they're in the wrong, remind me why I have to sit and take it.

Let me repeat...

...it's not your fault they act as they do, but it is your fault you react as you do.

If acting like them makes your day, go for it. But afterward, I'll bet you'll regret it.
    How am I reacting? Am I acting like them? I didn't say how I respond to people like that, so I'm assuming you drew your own conclusion and based your response on it. Again.
    06-17-10 07:22 PM
    ohiogolfer, you must live a tiny, tiny world if you believe no one in the customer industry should laugh or tell stories about their encounters once they're over. That is what started this whole debate with you, you were obviously trolling. No one here is giving out names or any info of anyone in particular, so what is the real issue here? Were you teased as a child? Tell me, how does that make you feel?

Just know, everything is going to be ok.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-10 08:54 PM
    This exchange of "ideas" has given me some great topics to use as I interview potential employees. I love to ask totally non-job related questions to get a better understanding of a person before I extend them an offer to join our team. Character means a lot no matter what profession you are entering.
    06-17-10 09:26 PM
    Just a FYI. A warranty exchange requires verification because if the equipment that is replaced is not returned there is a charged place on the account.

"I didn't authorize the exchange!"
    06-18-10 04:04 AM

Let me repeat...

Have a great day and a great life.
    Dude, just give it up. If you have nothing to contribute besides personal antagonism and ignorant assumptions, people are gonna continue to treat you like a troll.

Today's story:
    Older gentleman (or OG as I will call him): My phone isn't ringing anymore.
    Me: I'm so sorry to hear that, let me see what we can do for you.
    (troubleshooting ensues, we reset the phone)
    OG: It's working! It's ringing, thank you son.
    Me: No problem, I'm glad we could fix your phone.
    OG: Yeah, craziest thing. It stopped vibrating now.
    Me:.....
    06-18-10 06:36 AM
    True story...

I went into a Verizon store (not an authorized), walked directly to a display and picked out the case I wanted for my 9550. This exchange followed:

CSR: May I help you?
    Me: Yes thank you, I'd like to purchase this case.
    CSR: Great, can I have your phone number please.
    Me: I'll just pay cash, no need for that.
    CSR: Sir, I need your phone number to proceed.
    Me: Seriously, I'll just pay cash; how much is it?
    CSR: Sir, I can't let you buy that without your phone number.
    Me: No problem.

I walked back to the rack, returned the case to it's original location and walked out with a smile and no bad words. I ended up getting a case from a retail store.
    06-18-10 07:41 AM
    True story...

I went into a Verizon store (not an authorized), walked directly to a display and picked out the case I wanted for my 9550. This exchange followed:

CSR: May I help you?
    Me: Yes thank you, I'd like to purchase this case.
    CSR: Great, can I have your phone number please.
    Me: I'll just pay cash, no need for that.
    CSR: Sir, I need your phone number to proceed.
    Me: Seriously, I'll just pay cash; how much is it?
    CSR: Sir, I can't let you buy that without your phone number.
    Me: No problem.

I walked back to the rack, returned the case to it's original location and walked out with a smile and no bad words. I ended up getting a case from a retail store.
    There is a reason they need your number. This is so they pull your account to ring the sale. End of reasons.
    06-18-10 07:44 AM
1,313 ... 4950515253
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD