01-15-11 04:28 AM
1,313 ... 4849505152 ...
tools
    "Yeah huh!"
    "Nuh uh!"
    Clearly, your debate skills peaked in the second grade. As someone who actually does this for a living, I'm actually qualified to say what's true or not. Anyway, to those of us who aren't mired in our own ignorance, let's hear some funny!
    Perhaps some day you'll understand why you end up with the types of jobs that you do.

But I'm betting you won't.
    06-09-10 09:28 AM
    To argue policy over the phone is en exercise in comedy. The representative is allowed to stonewall you, and is in fact encouraged to do so. If you speak to a supervisor, they will tell you the same thing, and when you hang up in anger, you will be in a bad mood, nothing will have been accomplished, and the representative you escalated on will have been standing around drinking a soda or something while the supervisor took over their call.

Of course, if you want random people to be able to claim to represent you when dealing with Verizon, why not simply post your name, SSN, and account password on the internet for all to use as they see fit? It won't work at a brick and mortar location, but if someone has your all of your personal info, I'm sure they could work up a passable fake ID.
    06-09-10 01:48 PM
    I apologize for causing such an uproar, Apparently it is ok to abandon customer service when you can hide behind policy.

I will only defend myself once more,, The phone when my wife walked into the store was operable, (for those of you who dont get it, that means it was on and working) it was still active on the network (in other words not reported stolen) it had been used numerous times that morning THE BATTERY WAS DEFECTIVE AND WOULD NOT HOLD CHARGE!!!

IT WAS A FREE REPLACEMENT AS A CUSTOMER I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO BE BOTHERED BY A CALL TO VERIFY THAT I CAN GET A FREE BATTERY.

Again all I was trying to do was tell what I thought was a funny story from the other side of the counter. Apparently with you reps, it only goes one way.

The phone call had no anger in it, as a matter of fact it was the opposite it was rather comedic, I was just astonished that this is something that is practiced on a normal basis.

Again my apologies to the entire verizon rep world...

FAnjel, I had no clue what was wrong with the phone at the time, whether it was a defective battery or a defective phone. Like I said my wife worked literally two doors away from the store, there is no need for me to make a call when my wife can simply stop there before, after, or during her lunch break... Honestly the call only took a minute or two, and we laughed at the end, again, apparently not a funny story to the reps.
    Last edited by Feeeeg; 06-10-10 at 12:30 PM.
    06-10-10 12:26 PM
    Perhaps some day you'll understand why you end up with the types of jobs that you do.

Oh, ow. I'm sorry you have nothing better to do than to be a troll.

And I work this job while I'm going to school, while you seem to have peaked at "internet malcontent." Good on you though, everyone has to have goals.
    06-11-10 07:42 AM
    I apologize for causing such an uproar, Apparently it is ok to abandon customer service when you can hide behind policy.

I will only defend myself once more,, The phone when my wife walked into the store was operable, (for those of you who dont get it, that means it was on and working) it was still active on the network (in other words not reported stolen) it had been used numerous times that morning THE BATTERY WAS DEFECTIVE AND WOULD NOT HOLD CHARGE!!!

IT WAS A FREE REPLACEMENT AS A CUSTOMER I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO BE BOTHERED BY A CALL TO VERIFY THAT I CAN GET A FREE BATTERY.

Again all I was trying to do was tell what I thought was a funny story from the other side of the counter. Apparently with you reps, it only goes one way.

The phone call had no anger in it, as a matter of fact it was the opposite it was rather comedic, I was just astonished that this is something that is practiced on a normal basis.

Again my apologies to the entire verizon rep world...

FAnjel, I had no clue what was wrong with the phone at the time, whether it was a defective battery or a defective phone. Like I said my wife worked literally two doors away from the store, there is no need for me to make a call when my wife can simply stop there before, after, or during her lunch break... Honestly the call only took a minute or two, and we laughed at the end, again, apparently not a funny story to the reps.

Nah Feeeeg, I totally understand where you're coming from as a customer. It seems silly to have to verify your identity and your consent for something they wanna give to you for free. I was just saying as a rep that it's kind of all or nothing, they have to verify for free stuff just like for account changes and what not. That's just policy, I wasn't saying you don't have a good point, cuz ya do.
    Last edited by gileadkid; 06-11-10 at 07:53 AM.
    06-11-10 07:44 AM
    Not having to anything to do with phones, a Police Officer friend of mine has told me about a few encounters with the public:

PO: Sir, I stopped you for going 78mph in a 55mph zone.
    Driver: ARE YOU SERIOUS? YOUR JOKING RIGHT?
    (Yeah, rightttttt....How many times have you been stopped and the polcie say, "Just kidding!" )

PO. Sir, I stopped you because ______ that you have installed on your car is illeagel.
    Sriver: But Officer, I have had _____ on my car for over a year and no one else has stopped me and told me about it.
    (Okkkk..So if you run red lights for a year, you now have a free pass for the rest of your life?)

People who stop behind him during car stops and want directions, etc. Yeah, you better hope the guy in front of his car isn't wanted because if he is and you drive up, your getting gun-faced too!

Driver: Officer, is it ok if I park in this fire lane for just a minute?
    (Does the sign say, "Its ok for just a minute?")

Driver: "What do you mean your towing me car Officer? My plates only expired like 6 months ago!!" or" Why are you towing me just because I don't have insurance?"

PO: I have stopped you because you don't have a front plate attached, sir.
    Driver: You know how much I paid for this car? I am NOT drilling holes in the front bumper for a plate!
    (rich people are exempt from the law I guess)

True story:

My friend stopped a car a few years ago for a bunch of equipment violations. No door handles, wrong color lights, lowered suspension, etc.

The Officer gave his a repair ticket instead of a fine becuase then the owner had 15 days to correct the problems and have the vehicle inspected or the owner would have his tags taken. If he wrote him just payable tickets, the owner could have just paid them and kept driving. The following took place when the Officer returned to the car and informed the owner that he was getting a repair ticket and not just fines.

Owner: You know what, Officer? I think your jealious of my car. Ithink you wish you had a car this nice.

PO: Nope, not at all sir, just need a signature in the middle saying you received a copy of the order.

Owner: Yeah, thats it, Officer, you don't make enough money to afford a car like this so you have to pick on people that have nicer cars then you. I paid $4000.00 for just the piant on this car. You wish you could afford a car this nice.

PO: Again, sir, not at all. Just need a signature right here.

Owner: Yeah, right, you are just picking on people with money. You wish your car was this nice.

PO: (At this point had enough) Actually sir, since you want to keep this going, I think I DO have a better car then you.

Owner: Oh yeah, what do you have (Sarcasticly)?

PO: Well sir, if you look behind you you will see that I drive a 99 Ford Crown Victoria. I can speed, run red lights, and park where ever I want and I don't ever get a ticket! And you know what the really cool thing about that car is?

Owner: What?

When I turn on the red and blue lights, guys with $4000.00 paint jobs have to STOP until I say they can go!! Jealousy is NOT what you see sir !!
    06-12-10 01:25 PM
    Not having to anything to do with phones, a Police Officer friend of mine has told me about a few encounters with the public:

(Yeah, rightttttt....How many times have you been stopped and the polcie say, "Just kidding!" )

PO. Sir, I stopped you because ______ that you have installed on your car is illeagel.
    Sriver: But Officer, I have had _____ on my car for over a year and no one else has stopped me and told me about it.
    (Okkkk..So if you run red lights for a year, you now have a free pass for the rest of your life?)

People who stop behind him during car stops and want directions, etc. Yeah, you better hope the guy in front of his car isn't wanted because if he is and you drive up, your getting gun-faced too!

Driver: "What do you mean your towing me car Officer? My plates only expired like 6 months ago!!" or" Why are you towing me just because I don't have insurance?"

Driver: You know how much I paid for this car? I am NOT drilling holes in the front bumper for a plate!

True story:

My friend stopped a car a few years ago for a bunch of equipment violations. No door handles, wrong color lights, lowered suspension, etc.

The Officer gave his a repair ticket instead of a fine becuase then the owner had 15 days to correct the problems and have the vehicle inspected or the owner would have his tags taken. If he wrote him just payable tickets, the owner could have just paid them and kept driving. The following took place when the Officer returned to the car and informed the owner that he was getting a repair ticket and not just fines.

Owner: You know what, Officer? I think your jealious of my car. Ithink you wish you had a car this nice.

PO: Nope, not at all sir, just need a signature in the middle saying you received a copy of the order.

Owner: Yeah, thats it, Officer, you don't make enough money to afford a car like this so you have to pick on people that have nicer cars then you. I paid $4000.00 for just the piant on this car. You wish you could afford a car this nice.

Owner: Yeah, right, you are just picking on people with money. You wish your car was this nice.

PO: (At this point had enough) Actually sir, since you want to keep this going, I think I DO have a better car then you.

PO: Well sir, if you look behind you you will see that I drive a 99 Ford Crown Victoria. I can speed, run red lights, and park where ever I want and I don't ever get a ticket! And you know what the really cool thing about that car is?

When I turn on the red and blue lights, guys with $4000.00 paint jobs have to STOP until I say they can go!! Jealousy is NOT what you see sir !!

umm...ok....
    06-12-10 02:49 PM

True story:

I could not imagine how difficult it is to be a PO in this day and age where every one feels so entitled and has no regard for law, rules or basic human compassion.
    06-12-10 03:22 PM
    That was funny, people can be so stupid.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-12-10 03:51 PM
    Nah Feeeeg, I totally understand where you're coming from as a customer. It seems silly to have to verify your identity and your consent for something they wanna give to you for free. I was just saying as a rep that it's kind of all or nothing, they have to verify for free stuff just like for account changes and what not. That's just policy, I wasn't saying you don't have a good point, cuz ya do.
    Agreed. It is ridiculous at times, but it does need to be all or nothing. If we left it up to a case-by-case basis, that would raise the question of "Where's the line?" Requiring ID for authorization and verifying that the person is on the account is a hassle at times. I can't speak for VZW stores, but TMO store reps wouldn't technically be allowed to open the account even to tell her the battery was under warranty.

I think some of the reps may have seemed defensive because of the phrases they hear almost every day:

"I just need to know __________"
    "Why do I need ID to find out _____?"
    "Just tell me _______. I don't need any information."

Unfortunately, it's all personal information, no matter how insignificant the person asking may think it is. I hear "I don't want to know anything about the account, I just want to know when my upgrade is" several times a week. It's very ironic.

Now, to end with some humor:

"This is my mom's credit card, but you can call her at work." - Sorry, it isn't 1995 anymore.
    "My friend has an iPhone running on Verizon, I saw it myself." - Well call Apple and get your genius friend a job, because he's pretty advanced.
    "Why can't I get my friend's return refunded to my credit card instead?" - Really?
    "Why can't I use my wife's credit card? I'm on the same account." - Where's YOUR card then?
    06-13-10 07:47 PM
    Agreed. It is ridiculous at times, but it does need to be all or nothing. If we left it up to a case-by-case basis, that would raise the question of "Where's the line?" Requiring ID for authorization and verifying that the person is on the account is a hassle at times. I can't speak for VZW stores, but TMO store reps wouldn't technically be allowed to open the account even to tell her the battery was under warranty.

I think some of the reps may have seemed defensive because of the phrases they hear almost every day:

"I just need to know __________"
    "Why do I need ID to find out _____?"
    "Just tell me _______. I don't need any information."

Unfortunately, it's all personal information, no matter how insignificant the person asking may think it is. I hear "I don't want to know anything about the account, I just want to know when my upgrade is" several times a week. It's very ironic.

Now, to end with some humor:

"This is my mom's credit card, but you can call her at work." - Sorry, it isn't 1995 anymore.
    "My friend has an iPhone running on Verizon, I saw it myself." - Well call Apple and get your genius friend a job, because he's pretty advanced.
    "Why can't I get my friend's return refunded to my credit card instead?" - Really?
    "Why can't I use my wife's credit card? I'm on the same account." - Where's YOUR card then?
    Used to work for VZW, work for t-mo now. They're about the same as far as protecting personal info goes.

Also, that first one-hahaha.
    06-14-10 06:50 AM

Last time somebody said that to me, I got the last laugh.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/thi...ml#post2778979

Sometime -- I think it was about 20 years ago -- some pop psychology books told people that they'd get better customer service by being jerks. Then the Jerry Springer show and copycats came along, and people decided it was socially acceptable to behave like a bunch of hillbillies on meth.

I worked some lousy jobs while I was going to school, including waiting tables (behave like a **** at a restaurant, and you're lucky if spit is the worst thing in your food) and a salesperson at one of the earliest electronics superstores (Federated, with the infamous commercials with Shadoe Stevens as Fred Rated).

Through my experiences, I learned that treating people badly gets bad karma in return. In careers as a TV journalist and an attorney, I've found that the "little guys" often have lots of power to help you or hurt you, and most people are grateful for being treated well.

Case in point: I had a Storm 1, which finally bit the dust. I filed the claim online with Asurion, and got a plain-box, refurbished Storm 1 which had awful glitches, like dumping all of the data -- email, settings, Bluetooth devices, apps, contacts -- any time I did a battery pull.

I called Asurion and spent about half an hour on the phone with a rep. I calmly explained the hassles I've been having, and he joked that we'd probably be best friends after the long troubleshooting process.

Of course, I knew the phone was p00p, but I also understood he had to follow his procedures. I found out he was almost done with college, and we chatted about everything from school to motorcycle road racing.

Along the way, I mentioned that I'd put off upgrades because the Storm 3 is supposed to come out later this year. At the end of the conversation, he thanked me for being the best call of the day, and said, "I'm going to see if I can get you a Storm 2."

Today the box arrived. Yeah, it was a Storm 2 -- not a refurb, but a brand new one in a factory-sealed box, with all the accessories including a charger, 16gb SD card, new battery and cable. There was also a case and an OEM RIM car charger stuffed into the shipping box.

If I'd treated the guy like crap, he would've sent another white box Storm 1. Instead, he treated me the way I treated him.

Moral of the story: Don't take yourself so damn seriously!
    06-14-10 07:18 PM
    Last time somebody said that to me, I got the last laugh.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/thi...ml#post2778979

Sometime -- I think it was about 20 years ago -- some pop psychology books told people that they'd get better customer service by being jerks. Then the Jerry Springer show and copycats came along, and people decided it was socially acceptable to behave like a bunch of hillbillies on meth.

I worked some lousy jobs while I was going to school, including waiting tables (behave like a **** at a restaurant, and you're lucky if spit is the worst thing in your food) and a salesperson at one of the earliest electronics superstores (Federated, with the infamous commercials with Shadoe Stevens as Fred Rated).

Through my experiences, I learned that treating people badly gets bad karma in return. In careers as a TV journalist and an attorney, I've found that the "little guys" often have lots of power to help you or hurt you, and most people are grateful for being treated well.

Case in point: I had a Storm 1, which finally bit the dust. I filed the claim online with Asurion, and got a plain-box, refurbished Storm 1 which had awful glitches, like dumping all of the data -- email, settings, Bluetooth devices, apps, contacts -- any time I did a battery pull.

I called Asurion and spent about half an hour on the phone with a rep. I calmly explained the hassles I've been having, and he joked that we'd probably be best friends after the long troubleshooting process.

Of course, I knew the phone was p00p, but I also understood he had to follow his procedures. I found out he was almost done with college, and we chatted about everything from school to motorcycle road racing.

Along the way, I mentioned that I'd put off upgrades because the Storm 3 is supposed to come out later this year. At the end of the conversation, he thanked me for being the best call of the day, and said, "I'm going to see if I can get you a Storm 2."

Today the box arrived. Yeah, it was a Storm 2 -- not a refurb, but a brand new one in a factory-sealed box, with all the accessories including a charger, 16gb SD card, new battery and cable. There was also a case and an OEM RIM car charger stuffed into the shipping box.

If I'd treated the guy like crap, he would've sent another white box Storm 1. Instead, he treated me the way I treated him.

Moral of the story: Don't take yourself so damn seriously!
    If getting a free "free" phone makes your day...

But you obviously missed the point (all your education notwithstanding).
    06-14-10 07:30 PM
    If getting a free "free" phone makes your day...

But you obviously missed the point (all your education notwithstanding).
    No.... I didn't miss the point.

My office represents people charged with crimes ranging from DUI to murder, and most of them are grateful for my help. However, I've fired clients who mistreat my secretary or create extra work by failing to cooperate by answering simple questions.

I've also dealt with every type of person you can imagine, from jailhouse snitches to lying cops (and some great law enforcement officers who are good friends), and I can spot a narcissistic boor a mile away... or, in your case, half a continent away.
    06-14-10 08:28 PM
    ^I don't think you missed the point at all. I'm in medical administration myself. But it just goes to show the sense of entitlement some people have. I know when I have to man the switchboards for the day that I'm going to deal with the same things over and over and shake my head at some of the stupidity I'll hear through the day. Taking that headset off at the end of the day...I can't imagine how any CS rep must feel given what they deal with all day. Common courtesy and respest don't seem to matter much anymore.
    06-14-10 08:47 PM
    ^I don't think you missed the point at all. I'm in medical administration myself. But it just goes to show the sense of entitlement some people have. I know when I have to man the switchboards for the day that I'm going to deal with the same things over and over and shake my head at some of the stupidity I'll hear through the day. Taking that headset off at the end of the day...I can't imagine how any CS rep must feel given what they deal with all day. Common courtesy and respest don't seem to matter much anymore.
    We have a winner

Entitlement

That word is responsible for 90% of my customer-induced headaches. Everyone thinks the company (And the world, for that matter) owes them something. I don't owe you anything. Treat me with respect, I'll help you as much as I can. Greet me with attitude, good luck. There are far too many people out there who feel people in customer service positions are second class. It appears ohio_golfer is one of them, based upon his/her choice of words. That tells me a lot about their character

Now for a few more:

"I can't get a free phone? I've been a good customer" - (For four months)
    "I can't get a free phone? I pay my bill on time" - This reminds me of an old Chris Rock skit where he makes reference to people wanting credit for things you're supposed to do anyway, such as "I stay out of jail."
    "I left my phone on the kitchen table and the screen was cracked when I woke up." - Don't laugh, I hear this regularly.
    "This phone SUCKS. I drop it on the pavement ONE TIME...." - Electronics aren't bounce proof?! This changes everything!
    06-15-10 01:41 AM
    No.... I didn't miss the point.

My office represents people charged with crimes ranging from DUI to murder, and most of them are grateful for my help. However, I've fired clients who mistreat my secretary or create extra work by failing to cooperate by answering simple questions.

I've also dealt with every type of person you can imagine, from jailhouse snitches to lying cops (and some great law enforcement officers who are good friends), and I can spot a narcissistic boor a mile away... or, in your case, half a continent away.
    We have a winner

Entitlement

That word is responsible for 90% of my customer-induced headaches. Everyone thinks the company (And the world, for that matter) owes them something. I don't owe you anything. Treat me with respect, I'll help you as much as I can. Greet me with attitude, good luck. There are far too many people out there who feel people in customer service positions are second class. It appears ohio_golfer is one of them, based upon his/her choice of words. That tells me a lot about their character

Now for a few more:

"I can't get a free phone? I've been a good customer" - (For four months)
    "I can't get a free phone? I pay my bill on time" - This reminds me of an old Chris Rock skit where he makes reference to people wanting credit for things you're supposed to do anyway, such as "I stay out of jail."
    "I left my phone on the kitchen table and the screen was cracked when I woke up." - Don't laugh, I hear this regularly.
    "This phone SUCKS. I drop it on the pavement ONE TIME...." - Electronics aren't bounce proof?! This changes everything!
    The fact that you poke fun of anything a customer says or does shows you don't know the first thing about customer service.

You just don't get it.
    06-15-10 05:02 AM
    ^We couldn't do our jobs if we didn't try to find the humor in every situation. Trust me when you go to the doctor or dentist don't think we're not giggling when you walk out the door. Of course we keep it private to respect patients and customers. But we certainly aren't going to cry when faced with problems...we laugh it off. Yes I do get it. My job is to keep patients happy and diffuse difficult situations(when they owe money or their insurance has termed). And I do it all with a smile on my face and the kindest of words. That doesn't mean I won't burst out in laughter as soon as the PITA ones walk out the door. Laughter makes life bearable!
    Last edited by gmz73; 06-15-10 at 06:00 AM.
    06-15-10 05:58 AM
    The fact that you poke fun of anything a customer says or does shows you don't know the first thing about customer service.

You just don't get it.
    Some people say and do stupid things, and even if they are too stupid to know otherwise, it is okay to laugh. I do a "CS" job at times and occasionally I have to chuckle.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-10 06:49 AM
    ^We couldn't do our jobs if we didn't try to find the humor in every situation.
    Then maybe you should try to see the humor in ohio_golfer's story and quit acting like he's the reason you guys have a crappy job. Sure, you can make a point about blanket policies, but if you took a step back from defending your job for a second, you might see that his situation was a little silly. Completely explainable due to policy, but still, a little silly.

Sadly, this thread is turning into the kind of thread many complained that it would... making VZW reps look bad...
    06-15-10 10:58 AM
    Then maybe you should try to see the humor in ohio_golfer's story and quit acting like he's the reason you guys have a crappy job. Sure, you can make a point about blanket policies, but if you took a step back from defending your job for a second, you might see that his situation was a little silly. Completely explainable due to policy, but still, a little silly.

Sadly, this thread is turning into the kind of thread many complained that it would... making VZW reps look bad...
    And even sadder is they don't realize it.

(By the way, the battery swap story wasn't mine, but point well made.)
    06-15-10 11:05 AM
    Sorry for the confusion. I've zoned out on the details of this thread because it went from telling stories to a pissing match...
    06-15-10 11:13 AM

You just don't get it.
    Care to elaborate? How is finding the humor in my job equate to not knowing the first thing about it?

In any position dealing with the public, you will encounter clueless people. You will encounter people who do things that are entertaining. And you will inevitably encounter people who attempt to get their way through verbal abuse.

There are two sides to the customer service world. Until you have done such a job, you cannot claim to understand how things work. And I'm sure you would never have lowered yourself that far, right? The fact of the matter is that I have been yelled at, sworn at, and been called names on many occasions. Unfortunately, the majority of those situations stemmed from problems I had zero control over. Is that fair to me as an employee?

TheScionicMan - I agree that humor should be found. However, I don't see how being told we don't know how to do our jobs was done in jest. Earlier on, I agreed that the policy was ridiculous is some cases. I also stated my reasons why I feel it has to be all or nothing. I wish common sense ruled the business world, but until everyone has common sense, that can't happen.

And a few more to keep with the topic:

"Is this late fee because I paid the bill late?" - That seems like a safe assumption
    (I answer the phone) Me:"Thanks for calling T-Mobile, how can I help you?" Caller:"Is this T-Mobile?"
    (I answer the phone) Me:"Thanks for calling T-Mobile, how can I help you?" Caller:"Do you guys sell Verizon phones?"
    Last edited by NorrisCell; 06-15-10 at 12:37 PM.
    06-15-10 12:32 PM
    OK i am currently working in a IT department and this lady called in.

customer- my wireless is not working on my laptop

me- ok what type of laptop do you have?

customer- *reads model number on screen*

me- ok at the base of your screen and above the numbers on the keyboard, you should see the lights for your volume/mute....are there any other symbols/icons on this?

customer-Ya on that look like the letter "i" with waves on it.

me-is this light up

customer-no its dark, see i told you its broke.

me- take your finger and hold it above this icon

customer-ok......you sure you know what your doing?

me-*ignores comment* no press on the icon, then let go and tell me what happens

customer-it turned blue

me- your wireless is now fixed it was off. "i" icon is the button to turn it on

customer-there has never been a button there before how did it get there

me- *wanted to say windows updates* it was always there is just was normally on

customer-no i think i woulda noticed it, why'd "they" put it there i liked it better when it always worked.

me- trust me it was always there

customer-ok thanks bye

.......was not the first call like this
    06-15-10 12:45 PM

I think there's been a miscommunication, Scionic. We aren't really defending our jobs. We were explaining why the policy was in place, and then defending from attacks by people who have no idea what they're talking about. I actually said in a previous post (as did NorrisCell) that I can totally see it from the dude's perspective in the battery story...as a customer.

Today's story:
    "My bluetooth won't sync with my car!"
    "Ok, let's go to Manage Connections. Is bluetooth enabled?"
    "No, it's disabled. Do I need to turn it on to connect it to my car?"
    "...Yes ma'am, please do."
    Last edited by gileadkid; 06-16-10 at 08:01 AM.
    06-16-10 07:55 AM
1,313 ... 4849505152 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD