01-15-11 04:28 AM
1,313 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    You do know ur wrong right? I know many people that have their routers set so that their neighbors can use it. You can do it easily and have it be secure. On the other hand many are doing this without knowing so since they never bothered to make it private. I don't do it cause my neighbors are all douches...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    If they have the routers set so neighbors can use it, that's one thing as they are giving permission. But if they haven't given permission, that's something else entirely. It would be like going into the neighbor's house and eating food out of their fridge. Just because the doors aren't locked, doesn't mean it's allowed.
    06-09-09 11:26 PM
    If they have the routers set so neighbors can use it, that's one thing as they are giving permission. But if they haven't given permission, that's something else entirely. It would be like going into the neighbor's house and eating food out of their fridge. Just because the doors aren't locked, doesn't mean it's allowed.
    You are both right. Or wrong, depending on how you look at this. The legal status of using your neighbor's UNLOCKED wi-fi has really not yet been decided, and opinions vary across jurisdictions. Whether it is right or wrong morally is another debate, and of course if it is protected by a password and you use it without permission, that would be illegal.
    06-09-09 11:36 PM
    You do know ur wrong right? I know many people that have their routers set so that their neighbors can use it. You can do it easily and have it be secure. On the other hand many are doing this without knowing so since they never bothered to make it private. I don't do it cause my neighbors are all douches...

You are both right. Or wrong, depending on how you look at this. The legal status of using your neighbor's UNLOCKED wi-fi has really not yet been decided, and opinions vary across jurisdictions. Whether it is right or wrong morally is another debate, and of course if it is protected by a password and you use it without permission, that would be illegal.
    Well it all depends on where you live. In Ohio, theft of services is a crime.

2913.02 Theft.
    (A) No person, with purpose to deprive the owner of property or services, shall knowingly obtain or exert control over either the property or services in any of the following ways:

(1) Without the consent of the owner or person authorized to give consent;

(2) Beyond the scope of the express or implied consent of the owner or person authorized to give consent;

(3) By deception;

(4) By threat;

(5) By intimidation.

(B)(1) Whoever violates this section is guilty of theft.

It is the same as if you would throw your trash away in your neighbors trash can, or in a dumpster at a local buisness. It is a crime to do that.
    06-10-09 12:43 AM
    Well the ESN is also transmitted obviously and shows up in call records... So if VZ's system goes by MDN and ESN, then it will pick up if they are calling from their phone.
    Say for instance you order an upgrade phone online. It gets to your house and someone takes it off your porch before you get home. I think that was the point he was trying to make.

06-10-09 01:52 AM
    It's so hard to only list a few ...

-Cust: I am so fed up with Verizon - I'll be switching to Alltel!!

-Cust: Someone has stolen my phone, and I won't be paying for the overage in the minutes they used!
    -Me: Sir, after looking over your account, it appears the same numbers are being called on a monthly basis.
    -Cust: Then someone else must be calling my mom!!

-Cust: I know that my bill is past due, but I can't pay until next week, and I would like my phone turned on today. You guys have done it for me before.
    -Me: Yes, that was done as a courtesy for you, and unfortunately without payment today, we can't turn your services on.
    -Cust: So, you're telling me that you were able to do it before, and now you're not able to?
    -Me: Yes sir, that's what a courtesy is.

-Cust: I am not paying anything cause I've already given you the money, and you need to look in your little computer system and find it!
    -Me: Ma'am, what was the amount or date that you paid?
    -Cust: You're the one with the computer in front of you - you find it!
    -Me: I can't find a payment that is not reflected in the system.
    -Cust: I am not doing your job for you ... click.

-Cust: Will my cell phone service still be working later?
    -Me: There shouldn't be any reason why it wouldn't.
    -Cust: Well, I heard that AT&T bought out Verizon, and I just didn't want to lose service.
    -Me: (After stifling my laughter). Ma'am, nobody has bought out Verizon, and even if they had, your service would still be active under the new carrier.
    -Cust: Oh, that makes me feel so relieved!
    06-10-09 01:43 PM
    I love this thread!!
    06-10-09 06:14 PM
    This thread is great, the funniest thing I have had happen is a customer come in my phone wont work.... press the power button and magicly the phone turns on and works kinda funny how that works, and trust me in wyoming we get some pretty funny stories.
    06-10-09 06:21 PM
    while this isnt something a customers said, its worse, its a chief exec of O2 in the uk, talking about the iphone 3gs, read it and then try imagine how they have customers!!!

For Christ’s sake shut up and buy new iPhone 3GS, pleads O2 | newsarse.com
    06-10-09 06:25 PM
    Sorry not phone related but from working computer help desk:

User: I turned on my compter but it says no signal.

Me: oh sounds like its not connected. Can you check the connections from the monitor to the computer? (Insert long explantion her about how/where to find and check said connections)
    User: (shuffling about) oh I see now the box is missing.
    Me: I'm sorry? The box? do you mean there's no computer there?
    User: no, do you think that's the problem (not being sacastic in the least

But even better are the users that think they shouldn't be bother to check connections, which would mean sending a tech to an offsite location to do so. Note our users are employees not customers, but that is not how they see it.

Last edited by BastetBB; 06-10-09 at 07:19 PM.
    06-10-09 07:09 PM
    Well the ESN is also transmitted obviously and shows up in call records... So if VZ's system goes by MDN and ESN, then it will pick up if they are calling from their phone.
    The point I was making was, just because the "caller id" system that is in place shows the person is calling from 555-555-5555 and they're reporting that phone stolen, doesn't mean they're talking from the stolen phone, they could be talking from a phone that was previously activated under the number 555-555-5555.
    06-10-09 07:21 PM
    A few years ago, I was on my way back from court and stopped at Circuit City to look at some computer monitors. I'd left my jacket in my car, but was still wearing a necktie. A customer walked up to me and said,

"Hey, I bought this g***amn thing here and..."

"Excuse me," I replied, "That's no way to address someone. If you want to speak to me, you can do it politely," and I turned back to the item I was looking at.

"I'm talking to you!" he said. "Look at me!"

"I really don't want to hear anything you have to say if you can't be civil, let alone look at you."

By this time, several employees, all of whom were wearing the official store uniform of a red polo shirt and name tag clearly showing they worked there, were watching from a distance.

"HEY, I'M TALKING TO YOU."

I turned and said, "Yes, you are... and I wish you would stop. If you'd like to start over, by politely saying 'Excuse me, may I speak to you for a moment,' then I'll consider having a conversation. Otherwise, please get away from me right now."

"THAT DOES IT! I'M FINDING THE MANAGER, AND I'LL HAVE YOUR JOB!"

"You can't have my job," I told him," because I'm self employed. You'd also have to graduate from law school and pass the bar exam. Frankly, because you couldn't figure out that employees wear polo shirts, and thought I worked here because I was wearing a dress shirt and tie, I wonder if you'd score a 120 on the law school admissions test, which is what they give you for putting your name on the answer sheet. I'm leaving now, but on my way out, I'm going to find the manager and tell him what a stupid, rude person you are, and tell him that if you complain about any of the kids who work here, it's your problem, not theirs."

He was sputtering and his mouth was hanging open as I walked past him. On my way out, the guy from the car stereo department stopped me, handed me his business card, and said, "Anything you want... dealer cost!"
    Last edited by rlmesq; 06-10-09 at 08:22 PM.
    06-10-09 08:20 PM
    ^---Hahahaha, A.W.E.S.O.M.E.!!
    06-10-09 08:23 PM
    A few years ago, I was on my way back from court and stopped at Circuit City to look at some computer monitors. I'd left my jacket in my car, but was still wearing a necktie. A customer walked up to me and said,

"Hey, I bought this g***amn thing here and..."

"Excuse me," I replied, "That's no way to address someone. If you want to speak to me, you can do it politely," and I turned back to the item I was looking at.

"I'm talking to you!" he said. "Look at me!"

"I really don't want to hear anything you have to say if you can't be civil, let alone look at you."

By this time, several employees, all of whom were wearing the official store uniform of a red polo shirt and name tag clearly showing they worked there, were watching from a distance.

"HEY, I'M TALKING TO YOU."

I turned and said, "Yes, you are... and I wish you would stop. If you'd like to start over, by politely saying 'Excuse me, may I speak to you for a moment,' then I'll consider having a conversation. Otherwise, please get away from me right now."

"THAT DOES IT! I'M FINDING THE MANAGER, AND I'LL HAVE YOUR JOB!"

"You can't have my job," I told him," because I'm self employed. You'd also have to graduate from law school and pass the bar exam. Frankly, because you couldn't figure out that employees wear polo shirts, and thought I worked here because I was wearing a dress shirt and tie, I wonder if you'd score a 120 on the law school admissions test, which is what they give you for putting your name on the answer sheet. I'm leaving now, but on my way out, I'm going to find the manager and tell him what a stupid, rude person you are, and tell him that if you complain about any of the kids who work here, it's your problem, not theirs."

He was sputtering and his mouth was hanging open as I walked past him. On my way out, the guy from the car stereo department stopped me, handed me his business card, and said, "Anything you want... dealer cost!"
    Seriously...way too great! I LOVE it!

Funny story of the day:

Customer: (irrate, screaming) My phone isn't working. I just got a hold of the place I was calling after being on hold for 10 minutes and then they weren't there any more!
    Me: Ok. Have you been having trouble with your phone lately?
    Customer: Just when I call this number!
    Me: Oh...ok. That's a bit strange. Let's get your number so I can look at a few things.
    (Pause for verifying and pulling info.)
    Me. Well everything looks normal here that I can see. Let's take a look at the phone...
    Customer: I'm on it of course!
    Me: uhh...
    Customer: It's my only phone. I'm in the car!
    Me: Ok. How many times have you tried to call the number in question, ma'am?
    Customer: ONCE! I TOLD YOU I HAD TO CALL AND WAIT ON HOLD FOR TEN MINUTES AND THEN NO ONE WAS THERE! ARE YOU STUPID OR SOMETHING?
    Me: Well, we've been speaking on your phone now for a few minutes and no trouble and I know there was a small hold time before you spoke to me. Have you considered it was an issue with the number that you called?
    Customer: Well it used and wasted my minutes. You're going to credit me back for that!
    Me: I'm sorry, at this time your phone is functioning properly. I cannot credit for some one else hanging up on you.
    *crickets...then click*
    Last edited by starlaleann; 07-25-09 at 05:55 PM.
    06-10-09 11:32 PM
    i used to work help desk for a web based transaction company. Our callers were our clients employees. I think they hired the dumbest to pay less.

Caller: my password stopped working.
    Me: can you explain how its not working.
    Caller: I type and nothing happens.
    Me: can you give me the pasword so I can try to log in as you?
    Caller: I was told to never give my password.
    Me: can you clear cache and open new window and yet again?
    Caller:now nothing happens when I enter user id. Nothing is showing up.

Now these uses had our page as their home screen... So it gets better.

Me: what happens if you try google or msn?

Caller: it does not work.

Me: is your keyboard plugged in?

After begging her to please see if the keyboard is in....she gets down to check....cusses and slams down the phone.

06-11-09 09:00 PM
    This woman comes in with her husband tonight, and wanted her numbers transfered from her old Tmobile Razr in to her new Alias 2. She also told me at that time that she didn't think she was very happy with the phone and may be interested in exchanging it. I explained the restock fee if she chose to do that, and of course she wasn't happy about that, but the best part......................................"Tell me what this phone does, what makes it better than others, and why did the rep that sold it to me feel it was good for me?".
    06-11-09 10:55 PM

Funny story of the day:

Customer: (irrate, screaming) My phone isn't working. I just got a hold of the place I was calling after being on hold for 10 minutes and then they weren't there any more!
    Me: Oh...ok. That's a bit strange. Let's get your number so I can look at a few things.
    Me. Well everything looks normal here that I can see. Let's take a look at the phone...
    Customer: ONCE! I TOLD YOU I HAD TO CALL AND WAIT ON HOLD FOR TEN MINUTES AND THEN NO ONE WAS THERE! ARE YOU STUPID OR SOMETHING?
    Me: Well, we've been speaking on your phone now for a few minutes and no trouble and I know there was a small hold time before you spoke to me. Have you considered it was an issue with the number that you called?
    Customer: Well it used and wasted my minutes. You're going to credit me back for that!
    Me: I'm sorry, at this time your phone is functioning properly. I cannot credit for some one else hanging up on you.
    *crickets...then click*

To make it better, when I went to note the acct, there were 2 previous notes from the last half of an hour...FOR THE SAME THING...and with only enough time between indicating that she had hung up and called right back...

*facepalm*
    Thumbs up to all you reps that deal with people like that. I don't think that I could still be polite to someone that dim. That is pathetic....
    06-11-09 11:31 PM

Funny story of the day:

*crickets...then click*

To make it better, when I went to note the acct, there were 2 previous notes from the last half of an hour...FOR THE SAME THING...and with only enough time between indicating that she had hung up and called right back...

*facepalm*

All that time and effort for 1 airtime minute credit. Which I'm fairly sure people don't read in the customer agreement as to what the reparation for dropped calls are.
    06-11-09 11:32 PM
    Today a customer came in, and more or less asked if she could use chaperone to track Michelle Obama... Another customer over heard, and when the 1st customer left, she verified that the customer actually asked if she could track michelle obama... .and my response was "yes, very creepy. there is too much white trash in this place."
    06-12-09 06:31 PM
    Too many too tell here, but here are a few good ones:

I have had more handsets thrown at me than I can count. Believe me, that handset isn't going to work even if it did survive the throw...

Many, many customers with videos/pics of a, err "private" nature on their handsets. Techs used to page me to their workroom a couple of times a day.

Customer comes in, complaining that her husband had put a "tracer device" on her phone and that he was hearing her conversations as he knew things only the man she was having an affair with should know....

This woman's child is being an absolute nightmare, running full speed through the store, screaming.
    Me: Miss, please control your child, he is disturbing other customers and it's unsafe for him to run in the store.
    Cust: Don't you tell me how to raise my child! Maybe you people will hurry up if you don't like it!
    Me: Control your child or leave the store, it's unsafe for him to be running around the displays like that.
    Cust: Don't you tell me WHAM! - sound of child running his head into the hanging box sign in the front of store. Child is OUT, I mean falls like he had just been shot in the head, hits the floor and just lies there twitching, eyes rolled back in his head, everything. He wakes up a few seconds later, all glassy eyed, but impressively does not cry. Mom and child leave, with promises to sue, of course.

Cust: My child has to use the bathroom.
    Me: Sorry, miss, no one is allowed in the back except employees. (This is true, yep, I know it sucks, but we just couldn't allow it)
    Cuts: He's only five!
    Me: I know, I'm sorry, we can't let him use the bathroom.
    Cust: Can't you take him (WTF? I'm going to take a five year old child unknown to me into the backroom?)
    Me: There's a public restroom around the corner.
    Cust at this point explains to me just how badly I and Verizon Wireless suck and infers that I have an unnatural relationship with my mother, and that the female store employees sell their favors for very little money, then marches her child out the door, turns him around, and has him whiz on the front door of the store. We store employees are too amazed to do anything.

Waiting for the store to open one morning, I witness a man and woman arguing outside a parked van. It gets worse and worse, finally the woman jumps in the van and squeals off, as the man is trying to get his clothes out of the back of the van, which end up all over the parking lot. This poor guy is trying to pick up his clothes when the van comes screeching back, with the lady trying to run him over while he is trying to push a shopping cart full of clothes, she nails the shopping cart, clothes fly all over creation again, manages to clip the dude with the side mirror before crashing the van into cement planter and demolishing the front of the vehicle. She gets out, and guess what? Yep... comes over to me asking to borrow my phone! The cops arrive seconds later and take her away.

Cust: (Looking at a loooong cust ser line) in a loud voice, so he know all can hear, says "I'm a doctor and I'm to important to wait in this line, I want you to personally handle this for me!"
    Me: I tell you what sir, if you speak to everyone in this line and they all agree that your time is more important than theirs, you can go ahead and go straight to the front of the line.
    Cust: Slinks to the back of the line, other customers actually applaude.

Cust, returning about half an hour after I sold her a phone: You didn't give me a bag.
    Me: Excuse me?
    Cust: Where's my bag and receipt with the charger and all that? You didn't give it to me!
    Me: Yes Ma'am I did, this is a kiosk, feel free to look around, there is no bag here.
    Coworker: I saw him give you the bag miss, maybe you lost it?
    Cust: You're a bunch of crooks! Stomps off.
    Cust: Now irate, returning after 20 mins or so: I want my bag! I want my bag! (screaming at the top of her lungs)
    An evil, terrible impulse starts to build inside me, as I see the ultimate revenge upon this horrible creature who had wasted a good portion of my day during her purchase already. I begin to chant in my head "Please ask to return the phone. Please ask to return the phone".
    Cust: (now screaming, people are gathering and mall security is coming down the corridor) I want to return this phone!
    Me, struggling to maintain a straight face: I'm sorry ma'am you can't return it.
    Cust: Why not?
    Me: Because you don't have the box or receipt.
    Two things happen at this point: The cust completely melts down, screaming, alternately pulling her hair and throwing collateral (brochures), beating the kiosk and generally just loosing it altogether. I also hear a loud thump behind me, which upon closer inspection was my co-worker falling out of his chair onto the floor in an uncontrollable fit of laughter, the MUWAHAHAHAHAH kind. Mall security escorts the cust from the premises.
    Later, an employee for Victoria's Secret brings us the bag, which she had left in their store, which we eventually get back to her.

Cust: I lost/dropped in water/ran over my phone.
    Me: Unfortunately you're not eligible for upgrade, so you'll need to pay full retail for a replacement handset.
    Cust: I'm not paying that much for a phone!
    Me: Sorry, that's your only option, as you don't have the insurance.
    Cust: You're costing me (insert ridiculous amount of money here, I've heard it all) every hour I don't have a phone!
    Me: Then it shouldn't be that much of a problem to pay $200.00 for a phone, right? I mean if you are losing $xxxx.xx per hour, right?
    Last edited by Dr_Strangelove; 06-13-09 at 12:22 AM.
    06-13-09 12:19 AM
    I was actually in the Verizon store today and watched a lady scream at the rep and state "This is idiotic, I will never use Verizon again! I'm canceling and going on my sister's Alltel plan!" Somebody doesn't watch the news.
    06-13-09 02:51 AM
    Too many too tell here, but here are a few good ones:

Cust, returning about half an hour after I sold her a phone: You didn't give me a bag.
    Me: Excuse me?
    Cust: Where's my bag and receipt with the charger and all that? You didn't give it to me!
    Me: Yes Ma'am I did, this is a kiosk, feel free to look around, there is no bag here.
    Coworker: I saw him give you the bag miss, maybe you lost it?
    Cust: You're a bunch of crooks! Stomps off.
    Cust: Now irate, returning after 20 mins or so: I want my bag! I want my bag! (screaming at the top of her lungs)
    An evil, terrible impulse starts to build inside me, as I see the ultimate revenge upon this horrible creature who had wasted a good portion of my day during her purchase already. I begin to chant in my head "Please ask to return the phone. Please ask to return the phone".
    Cust: (now screaming, people are gathering and mall security is coming down the corridor) I want to return this phone!
    Me, struggling to maintain a straight face: I'm sorry ma'am you can't return it.
    Cust: Why not?
    Me: Because you don't have the box or receipt.
    Two things happen at this point: The cust completely melts down, screaming, alternately pulling her hair and throwing collateral (brochures), beating the kiosk and generally just loosing it altogether. I also hear a loud thump behind me, which upon closer inspection was my co-worker falling out of his chair onto the floor in an uncontrollable fit of laughter, the MUWAHAHAHAHAH kind. Mall security escorts the cust from the premises.
    Later, an employee for Victoria's Secret brings us the bag, which she had left in their store, which we eventually get back to her.
    roflmao thats quality!!! it gets even better in our stores because we dont even do returns!!
    06-14-09 05:53 AM
    Sorry if this has already been covered, but someone said this the other day and I re-remembered it for the 300th time just now.

When troubleshooting a customer's phone, issue being they can't receive text or phone calls, or there is a delay in info being sent to the network and back to their phone...

I almost bust out laughing when they say something like "I called my phone with my husband's phone, and we were sitting RIGHT BESIDE EACH OTHER!"

It's a cell phone. Not a walkie talkie. Usually the same people who call and say with a shocked voice "My new cell phone doesn' work in my home!" Yeah well we'll send our team right over to coat your house in aluminum foil to fix that lady...
    06-14-09 10:58 AM
    Odd woman that comes in 2 times a month: I didnt get my rebate after i bought my new phone. (with a strange look on her face)
    Me: You didnt get the rebate form or you didnt recieve your rebate yet?
    Odd broad: I didnt get the money(maintaining strange glare)
    Me: Well how long has it been since you sent it in?
    Her: 2 weeks....(now looking like she is going to attack me)
    Me: Well it takes about 4-6 weeks on average but we have been noticing customers getting them a lot sooner.
    Her: YEAH, I BET! as she walks out of the store staring at me over her shoulder.
    06-14-09 11:37 AM
    I get a call from customer service aking if the cst can have a Blackberry without a data plan. I reply no, and asked why she wanted a BB w/o a data plan. CS rep stated that she had asked her that question. The answer was "I am a professional lady." I wondered for a few seconds what that meant.
    06-14-09 11:38 AM
    Customer walks in to pay a bill (pre BPK [Bill payment kiosk] days), I pull up the account, it's $700.00+ for a single line. I notice the billing history, and actually remember this customer paying four or five months in a row of similar charges. She pays it with no complaints.

Me: Miss, I can put you on a plan that has enough minutes to stop these excessive charges.
    Customer: How much would that be?
    Me: Well, 1200 minutes would be $99.00 a month (or something like that, this has been five years ago, way before unlimited plans and such)
    Customer: I don't want to pay that much for a cell phone.
    Me: (smacks forehead) Ummm, Miss, you just paid $700.00, and have for several months.
    Cust: I won't use that many minutes next month.
    Me: (again smacking forehead) Let me change your plan, if it doesn't save you money, I'll change it back, no charge (which I could do at the time)
    Cust: Nope, I'm not going to use that many minutes next month and I won't pay $99.00 a month for a phone.

We go back and forth this way several times, she finally leaves with the same plan she came in with, I guess she was happy because her plan wasn't $99.00 a month... and continued to have crazy overage charges for as long as I was there.

Customer comes in the door, bill in hand, and a 10-12 year old child in tow. Looking into the store, you would have thought a grenade had just been tossed in the door, employees are running for cover, ducking behind the counter, or hightailing to the backroom to "do inventory". I'm the "officer on duty" and the customer service staff is on lunch, all one of them. Customers with bills in their hands are always, always, not something you want to deal with as a sales rep. Customer marches up, chip on her shoulder, and says "I want someone to fix this bill!" I examine the bill and quickly realize one number on a family plan has downloaded virtually every game Verizon offered at the time to their handset, suspiciously, the child seems to want to be anywhere but in the Verizon store, usually they love playing with phones, modem displays, etc. So I just casually say, looks like this bill is a bit high, who uses xxx-xxx-xxxx, customer replies, that's my son's number, glancing at the child. Well, I say, he's downloaded just about every game we offer for this handset. The kid turns just absolutely chalk white and the mom starts beating him vigorously, all the while screaming "You told me those were free!". She gets tired eventually, and apologizes for the attitude she had when coming into the store, and I credit her for most of the downloads just for the sheer entertainment value. She actually later became a really good customer.

Verizon's phones used to not have an option to turn off the startup sound, that irritating little happy noise they make when powering on. There are many reasonable objections to that, and it's now able to be turned off. The funniest objection to it I heard was from a little old lady, who was concerned that if she was kidnapped and thrown into the trunk of a car, the kidnappers might hear the phone start up and know she was trying to call 911....
    06-15-09 01:48 AM
1,313 ... 910111213 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD