01-15-11 04:28 AM
1,313 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    a completely non phone related one, but oh so funny

i used to work as an aircraft engineer in the air force, and each time a jet lands, the pilot files his report on things that dont work, and one really caught my eye

........(cant remember the part) doesnt work in o f f position
    06-07-09 06:43 AM
    Actually I think they used a standard plug and put the smaller plug in the back

another possibility depending where this place was and how it was wired..

you can use category 5 jacks for regular telephone lines.. (this is only typically done in business')
    06-07-09 06:49 AM
    On one occasion I was called at 11pm by a ship, "The stability computer doesn't work". Now as you can imagine, stability is a pretty important consideration for a ship so I was waiting on the dockside when it arrived at 5am next morning.

OK, captain is right, the display is blank. Hang on a moment, the power light is green on the computer but nothing on the display (this is a big 21" CRT monitor, and it's bolted down so it doesn't move at sea). Pokes finger at switch, Nope, no change, still no picture. Maybe no input power, I'll check. Hand down the back of the display to find the power cord, unplug from the display and push multimeter probes into the connector. Nope, no volts.

Now we're getting somewhere. I'll check the socket which is right behind the monitor (remember it's bolted down) in a rat's nest of cables so everything is done by touch. Struggle to get the connector back in the monitor, then follow the cord, running a hand along it to find the correct socket. Ah...It has a standard UK plug (these have an internal fuse) so maybe it's the fuse. I started prying the plug from the socket to bring it out and check the fuse, when it occurred to me that my fingers were very close to potentially live parts and my eyes would light up some. Maybe... yes there's a switch on the socket so I'll switch off the power before I continue... Oh! the switch is already Off. CLICK!!

I heard the crackle of static as the screen powered up and the picture appeared.
    you know this is a great story and unfortunately you may or may not know this but this is super common for people to do not just on a ship ;(

I used to laugh about it but now I am simply in aww about it lol
    06-07-09 06:53 AM
    This post is great!!! I love it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-09 08:04 AM
    Ha! It's like, how have you been charging your phone for two YEARS?
    06-07-09 09:44 AM
    you know this is a great story and unfortunately you may or may not know this but this is super common for people to do not just on a ship ;(

I used to laugh about it but now I am simply in aww about it lol
    Yup, the thing that got me was that it was almost impossile to reach the switch, and there was no way it could have been changed accidentally by equipment moving.

The best part with hindsight, captain reappeared and asked how I fixed it.
    <raises finger, makes switching motion> "Click!"
    Captain: (for service report) "No! You cannot write that!"
    06-07-09 10:42 AM
    Thanks for the laughs! I have only ever briefly worked in any type of customer service and that was too long!

06-07-09 12:11 PM
    Best Thread Ever. I'm thinking about going to the local store and trying them out.

This statement is to freaking funny. I literally laughed out loud. Let us know how it turns out.
    06-07-09 01:10 PM
    my phone wont make calls...

is it turned on?...

how do you turn it on?..

press the power/red button...

it wont turn on...

is there a battery in it?...

What does it take, a durracell?
    06-07-09 04:13 PM
    hahahahahahahahaha
    06-07-09 04:34 PM
    had this customer yesterday...

"Hi you have the netbooks? how much are they"
    "250-50 mail in rebate..."
    "wow thats a really good price! but... ATT was giving them away for free"
    ---- I laughed out loud... ----
    "sorry, AT&T does not sell netbooks"
    "I saw it on their website! and it was free!"
    so i decide to look online... aparently they do sell them... in florida and philly.... and they start at 200 after rebate.
    "ma'am, look right here. If you can find on here where it says there is a free netbook, i will discount it."
    obviously, couldnt find it...
    "well, AT&T at least has cheaper data plans!"
    "actually.... their 5gig plan is the same, and their 39.99 plan gives you less data. so really we have the same if not better pricing."
    "well, i think im going to switch to AT&T"
    "ok."
    she left saying i was the best rep she has had in a long time lol.
    06-07-09 11:51 PM
    my phone wont make calls...

is it turned on?...

how do you turn it on?..

press the power/red button...

it wont turn on...

is there a battery in it?...

What does it take, a durracell?

ROFL!!!

love this one!
    06-08-09 02:39 AM
    Had a customer call in, phone not keeping a charge, so they purchased a new battery, and it was doing the same thing. Contacted tech support:

Me: Hey, I have a customer that states their phone isn't holding a charge, will only charge to about 50% and dies quickly, they bought a new battery a couple of weeks ago and they're still having the same issue.
    Tech: They've had the phone for over a year.
    Me: They have total equipment coverage, which includes the extended warranty.
    Tech: Let me check, I don't believe it covers batteries.
    Me: Uhhh....I don't believe it's the battery if they just bought a brand new battery and it's doing the same thing...
    Tech: Oh yeah.
    06-08-09 08:13 AM
    Why are you guys posting all of my experiences with the sales reps. I did not realize I was that bad. At least I give you something to laugh about. JK. This is one of the greatest threads I have ever seen...
    06-08-09 05:18 PM
    Heard this from another rep today. This rep was working new years eve. Customer calls in all frantic that her phone was stolen. The rep said look in your hand. Click. On our systems, we can see if you are calling in from your phone.

06-08-09 06:07 PM
    On the other side...

Funny Things Sales People Say to Customers

Friday evening, had a bunch of kids over to prep the RV & boats & such for a weekend at the lake. Skiing, tubing & more. Didn't want to make more mess by fixing dinner & I had 18 kids & 7 adults to feed.

The vote was for burgers, fries & milkshakes. I jump in the truck & head over to In-N-Out.

I walk in - all by myself, mind you - and order something like 36 burgers, a bunch of orders of fries, and a mess of milkshakes (I down a pair of 4X4s all by myself). We're talking a $290 order here, after tax, title & license. The pretty little girl who is taking my order looks at me, and with a straight face says, "is that for here or to go?"

06-08-09 06:35 PM
    On the other side...

Funny Things Sales People Say to Customers

Friday evening, had a bunch of kids over to prep the RV & boats & such for a weekend at the lake. Skiing, tubing & more. Didn't want to make more mess by fixing dinner & I had 18 kids & 7 adults to feed.

The vote was for burgers, fries & milkshakes. I jump in the truck & head over to In-N-Out.

I walk in - all by myself, mind you - and order something like 36 burgers, a bunch of orders of fries, and a mess of milkshakes (I down a pair of 4X4s all by myself). We're talking a $290 order here, after tax, title & license. The pretty little girl who is taking my order looks at me, and with a straight face says, "is that for here or to go?"

LOLOLOLOLOLOL I would have TOTALLY said "Here... can I get some extra napkins??"
    06-08-09 07:56 PM
    How about this one on myself -

All week last week I couldn't get my computer to come on. Mainly, the display. So I finally call IT on Friday (I should note, I work in sales, so I'm only in that office about 5 hours for the whole week), I'm on the phone for 20 minutes and while we're checking all the cords and he says -

Now check the power cord... And I said, power cord?

Yeah, someone played a funny prank on me and stole (hid) my power cord for my monitor... And here I was jumping around different peoples' desks all week. NICE!

Last edited by angelalynn79; 06-08-09 at 08:30 PM.
    06-08-09 08:20 PM
    I do not know about anyone else, but if you all look under options> advanced options> serivce books. There is a very small check box labled, fix everything.
    06-08-09 08:54 PM
    I do not know about anyone else, but if you all look under options> advanced options> serivce books. There is a very small check box labled, fix everything.
    It's right next to the "Easy Button", under "Make Waffles". I use it all the time.
    06-08-09 09:00 PM
    Having worked in the electronics industry, this thread hits close to home, and I thank you all!

06-09-09 01:25 AM
    Heard this from another rep today. This rep was working new years eve. Customer calls in all frantic that her phone was stolen. The rep said look in your hand. Click. On our systems, we can see if you are calling in from your phone.

You do realise that if a customer upgrades their phone//activates a new phone, the new phone is stolen and they dial *611 with their old phone ( which is still programmed with their MIN and MDN ) it will show up in your system that they're calling from their MDN that they are reporting stolen?
    Last edited by scurvydlicious; 06-09-09 at 11:48 AM.
    06-09-09 11:44 AM
    I used to work as an EMT and eventually Paramedic for the FDNY working NYC's 911 system.fair enough to say that people essentially treat the 911 system in NY as a cab service. We had soo many chronic callers, one such caller told us a story that he was a secret agent for a government agency. My partner at the time happend to have numerous friends in several government law enforcement agencies and just kept feeding this guy rope to hang himself. Next, he did something we really did not like and told us his family member worked in our department. We asked for his/her name, he gave us one we then requested that our captain meet us at the hospital knowing that this name would most likely be fake. Long story short, he was served with a federal bench warrant at 4 am that night. I love when people try to play others for fools...

06-09-09 02:49 PM
    I have some funny ones about Sprint.

I just had Sprint CS rep ask me What BES is.

I had an employee walk into a sprint store because his blackberry was having issues. First they called me to get the PIN for the account and after telling them that the employee is not supposed to know what the PIN is he repeats it out loud in front of the employee. Then they just give him a new Blackberry and send him on his way without swapping out his devices.

I found an error in Sprint's billing system that cost us over $20,000 in 2 months. It had to do with the way they were crediting us shared min, i wont go into detail. They just kept saying that we went over and that the bill says we went over so we owe the money. I said that we would pay it as long as they prove to me that we used as many peak min that they are saying we used and all they would send me was a report that showed how many shared min we had and how many total (peak, off peak and m2m) min we used. I had to send a detailed analysis (that i did) to one of the heads of the billing and reporting before they could find it and get our credit for the charges.

I have enough stories about sprint that i could write a book.
    06-09-09 03:00 PM
    Not cell phone related, but customer related. The retail store I work at sells computer routers and modems. I had someone ask me for info on how to boost a wireless signal so they could get better internet on their laptop. I asked them what kind of router they were using. Their reply? "Oh it's not ours, our neighbor has wireless and we just pick up their signal." I told them I was unable to help them. When they asked why not, I had to let them know that they were basically stealing their neighbor's bandwidth. "So you're saying that we're not supposed to do that." Yup, you got it. I now encourage everyone who purchases a wireless router to follow the directions to secure the signal so people don't freeload off them.
    You do know ur wrong right? I know many people that have their routers set so that their neighbors can use it. You can do it easily and have it be secure. On the other hand many are doing this without knowing so since they never bothered to make it private. I don't do it cause my neighbors are all douches...

06-09-09 11:20 PM
1,313 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD