09-30-09 10:36 AM
137 ... 3456
tools
    To make it simpler:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/omg-help-190239/

Warning - it is amotional in spots.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-09 12:46 PM
    Not sure which post you were replying to, but what you are saying is NOT correct for Verizon.

For Verizon, neither the $30 Email/Web for BB (BIS Only plan), nor the $45 Blackberry Unlimited Data (Bis/BES) allow for tethering.

As already stated in this thread...

For the $30 BIS Only plan, VZW's BroadBand Access (tethering) feature is $30.
    For the $45 Bis/Bes plan, VZW's BBA is $15...

i.e. your total = $60 for BB Data + Tether from VZW.
    why is it $15 more for BIS users. nobody seems to be able to answer that. Why should I have to pay $15/month more. than BES users. I don't want nor do i need BES services...yet in order to tether I have to pay for them?
    03-27-09 01:50 PM
    We're basically not going to make you pay more than $60/month for data because you could get an aircard for $60. We give you credit for what you're already paying and charge you the difference. If you're paying the Email & Web for $29.99 then we charge you $29.99. If you're paying for BES for $44.99 then we charge you $15. Either way you're still getting $60 worth of tethering vs paying for your data + an aircard which would cost you more.
    03-27-09 03:06 PM
    Sure.. go ahead and do it. You can end up like this guy: http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/omg-help-190239/
    03-27-09 03:12 PM
    Bear in mind that with the LTE rollout, many of these fee structures are liable to change, possibly in the customer's favor.

I can envision packages where all of your data needs, including home/office broadband service, are included for one price. Again, the power user, the people who use more services, will pay more than the lady just wanting a small amount of voice time, but the deals will be had with more services.

03-27-09 03:43 PM
    why is it $15 more for BIS users. nobody seems to be able to answer that. Why should I have to pay $15/month more. than BES users. I don't want nor do i need BES services...yet in order to tether I have to pay for them?
    Actutally if you search other forums on this I as well as others have explained many times. Bottom line your tether connection must equal the cost if an aircard/USB modem.

If you use one of those your cost per month is 59.99 per month (another line of serivce), another pice of equipment to purcahse and carry with you, and anodther two year contract. The tethering feature 15 or 30 is based on your base data plan. The tethering feature only need to be on the account when you need it. there by even costing less.
    Last edited by lastraid; 03-27-09 at 08:42 PM.
    03-27-09 05:12 PM
    Actutallyif you search other forums on this I as well as others have explained many times. Bottom line you tether connection must equal the cost if an aircard/USB modem.

If you use one of thhose your cost per month is 59.99 per month (another line of serivce), another pice of equipment to purcahse and carry with you, and anodther two year contract. The tethering feature 15 or 30 is based on your base data plan. The tethering feature only need to be on the account when you need it. there by even costing less.
    And, if you check the competition, VZW is NOT the most expensive on this.

03-27-09 08:03 PM
    Has anyone been charged for using teatherberry yet?

03-28-09 09:34 PM
    Check out the OMG HELP. That guy got a good sized bill from VZW for using it.

03-28-09 11:58 PM
    Is that the only incident?

03-29-09 12:16 AM
    Wow. Im getting a lot of education in one night just sitting here and reading this thread lol. Its definatly good to see smart people in the Verizon Thread. Ill definatly stick around more often. And on another note............................Im tethering with tetherberry (which I purchased) and havent had any problems "price range wise" with my account.
    03-29-09 12:35 AM
    Ok. Now by reading that other thread, No more tethering for me lol. Not that I use it that much, but I dont want to take the chance. And Tetherberry offers a 30 day warrenty so Im good with that.
    03-29-09 12:56 AM
    Is that the only incident?
    So far that I can tell, yes. But I'd not take that as any consolation. We have maybe 100 regular VZW posters here out of about 82million VZW customers. This means what is represented here is about 0.0000012% od VZW customers post on CB. Then you have the embarassment factor, where many who do get caught wouldn't want to admit their stupidity.

Then there is the issue of Tetherberry being new on the market. Then again, their hit count at their site isn't anything to write home about.

An AT&T management type told me they see several thousand accounts per year see action because of activity not allowed in their TOS. So, it is definitely something that people are getting nailed for.

03-29-09 01:17 AM
    So far that I can tell, yes. But I'd not take that as any consolation. We have maybe 100 regular VZW posters here out of about 82million VZW customers. This means what is represented here is about 0.0000012% od VZW customers post on CB. Then you have the embarassment factor, where many who do get caught wouldn't want to admit their stupidity.

Then there is the issue of Tetherberry being new on the market. Then again, their hit count at their site isn't anything to write home about.

An AT&T management type told me they see several thousand accounts per year see action because of activity not allowed in their TOS. So, it is definitely something that people are getting nailed for.

Do you know if anyone on AT&T got busted for using TB?
    03-29-09 07:30 PM
    Do you know if anyone on AT&T got busted for using TB?
    Well, I don't know them personally...

AT&T has been going after people abusing their network. It is underdeveloped enough without having people abuse it. From what I've seen in trade magazines and heard from friends who still work for them (I did work there for way too many years), they do shut off accounts frequently for this.

I don't know of specific cases because, like VZW, AT&T isn't into bad publicity and they don't generally make account issues public.

03-29-09 08:56 PM
    I was just one the phone with Verizon today. Yes you can use thing like TetherBerry but your get an outrageous overage bill for it. But lets say you only tether a day or maybe even 7 days out of the month, you can call them up and tell them you want to tether that day and they charge you a dollar to tether you get 197MB per day so if you went over your MB usage then keep it another day and pay $2 for 2 days rather than 1 dollar for 1 day and then a bunch of overage for your amount you went over that day. Of course if your Tethering every day you get 5GB a month anything over that you'll pay overage on.
    09-26-09 02:42 PM
    If I had to pick a side, it'd most likely be against Verizon on this one. I've always been happy with VZW in the past and think they are a great company, but telling people what they can and can't do with the data service they PAY for is a little too much for me. I pay for 5GB of wireless data a month, but I am not entitled to use that data off of my phone in any way. If I choose to do so, I have to pay an extra $30 a month for the SAME 5GB of data. A $30/month permission fee.

It might be a little more realistic if an extra $30 gave you true unlimited or something along those lines, but your just paying for the same product/service (5GB of data) twice. I know they do this because their mobile broadband plan ($60 for 5GB of data) doesn't sound too appealing vs. getting a blackberry plan and tethering your data from that.

Who knows though, I could easily be on the wrong side of the fence on this one at the moment... Just wish I could 'legitimately' tether my laptop the few times I travel each month.
    09-28-09 07:42 PM
    I was just one the phone with Verizon today. Yes you can use thing like TetherBerry but your get an outrageous overage bill for it. But lets say you only tether a day or maybe even 7 days out of the month, you can call them up and tell them you want to tether that day and they charge you a dollar to tether you get 197MB per day so if you went over your MB usage then keep it another day and pay $2 for 2 days rather than 1 dollar for 1 day and then a bunch of overage for your amount you went over that day. Of course if your Tethering every day you get 5GB a month anything over that you'll pay overage on.
    Really?

Wish I would have seen that before, might have to try it!
    09-28-09 07:47 PM
    Ibut telling people what they can and can't do with the data service they PAY for is a little too much for me. I pay for 5GB of wireless data a month, but I am not entitled to use that data off of my phone in any way..
    You pay for unlimited data on your phone. Tether for even 10kb and you can be charged extra. There is nothing about 5gb an any pda plans.

09-28-09 09:11 PM
    You pay for unlimited data on your phone. Tether for even 10kb and you can be charged extra. There is nothing about 5gb an any pda plans.
    You missed the part about the contracted agreement these people made, when they signed on. Somewhere above these posts, the excerpt is quoted, I do believe.

09-28-09 11:27 PM
    If I had to pick a side, it'd most likely be against Verizon on this one. I've always been happy with VZW in the past and think they are a great company, but telling people what they can and can't do with the data service they PAY for is a little too much for me. I pay for 5GB of wireless data a month, but I am not entitled to use that data off of my phone in any way. If I choose to do so, I have to pay an extra $30 a month for the SAME 5GB of data. A $30/month permission fee.

It might be a little more realistic if an extra $30 gave you true unlimited or something along those lines, but your just paying for the same product/service (5GB of data) twice. I know they do this because their mobile broadband plan ($60 for 5GB of data) doesn't sound too appealing vs. getting a blackberry plan and tethering your data from that.

Who knows though, I could easily be on the wrong side of the fence on this one at the moment... Just wish I could 'legitimately' tether my laptop the few times I travel each month.
    You have the $15 daily option, or you can add and delete the feature as needed. I've done it several times.

09-28-09 11:33 PM
    Also, there is no 5GB limit on the phone.

09-28-09 11:34 PM
    Adding & subtracting features is too much work. Its far better to simply cough up the dough, quit being a lousy cheapskate & get on with life.

09-28-09 11:36 PM
    I tether on occasion. I know that the TOS says I'm not supposed to. But I don't get why there's a difference between viewing a webpage on my BB and viewing it on my laptop with my Internet connection coming through Verizon in both instances.

Now, I can understand if Verizon is having issues about network capacity. People staring at their BB screens are likely to lose patience after a while staring at that little screen. But, I can't imagine relying on 3G as a primary internet connect. That sounds like an exercise in frustration.

For example, I've come to view my television as an obsolete appliance. However, I have to have higher capacity bandwidth than 3G to watch TV programs over the Internet which I'm willing to pay for.

So I get why Verizon is paranoid - but I try to be responsible and use tethering judiciously. Not everyone has that mindset which ruins things for the rest of us.
    09-29-09 12:43 AM
    I tether on occasion. I know that the TOS says I'm not supposed to. But I don't get why there's a difference between viewing a webpage on my BB and viewing it on my laptop with my Internet connection coming through Verizon in both instances.
    Does your blackberry support FLASH, SHOCKWAVE, streaming Quicktime video, etc? I don't think so, but I'm sure your PC's browser does.

Receive an email on your BB with an attachment that you want to save? well, the BB is limited on how big of an attachment it can save/download. Your PC is not.

Many web sites can detect the browser string and direct your BB's browser to a "mobile" site with reduced graphics, data, etc. compared to what you see when visiting a page using IE or Firefox on a computer.

Vist MSN.COM for example, and see the videos on the home page, some of the adds, etc, which you don't get when viewing via the BB's browser.

You can download torrents, cd images, etc while using your PC, but not your BB.

These types of things mean using your PC to surf, even when tethering via your BB, can/will use more data.

You don't see that difference?

More data being transfered means the wireless carrier needs to have network capacity to handle it, and if they don't, they need to increase it. That costs money, so they are going to pass some of that "cost" onto the consumer (and of course try to make a little profit on it too), for VZW its in the form of their "Broad Band Access" Plans being needed to tether.

Now, I can understand if Verizon is having issues about network capacity. People staring at their BB screens are likely to lose patience after a while staring at that little screen. But, I can't imagine relying on 3G as a primary internet connect. That sounds like an exercise in frustration.
    Wait, You DO see the difference.

While I agree, relying on tethering via my BB as my ONLY internet option would not meet my needs, there are plenty who it probably works for.

especially when you consider cost for maintaining both HOME and "on the go" internet connections... Many might find "cutting the cord" works for them just fine. Especially if they are paying a one time charge to use tetherberry or similar products as opposed to paying for VZW's Broadband access plan monthly.
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 09-29-09 at 09:51 AM.
    09-29-09 09:41 AM
137 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD