09-30-09 10:36 AM
137 12345 ...
tools
    It's hard if you dont stream video/music. You can check your access in VZAccess manager.

It shouldn't lump it together. One will say Current Data Plan and the other will say Mobile Broadband Connect or something.
    03-04-09 10:48 PM
    Let me clear things up with a little more detail for those who are unsure. The billing feature we use to provision Mobile Broadband Connect on your accounts also activates a network feature that enables authentication on our network to allow for use of the service. For the same reason why you can truly use an unlimited amount of data on the device ONLY and have a 5 gig allowance when used as a modem, we can enable and disable the service with little-to-no effort. Sure, there might be rare circumstances where you might luck out and be able to use it without paying for it, but that scenario is a highly unlikely one. Just because you can access 1XRTT/!XEVDO data doesn't mean that access is unrestricted. We control everything from MMS to Mobile Web, this product being no different.
    03-05-09 01:45 AM
    It's hard if you dont stream video/music. You can check your access in VZAccess manager.

It shouldn't lump it together. One will say Current Data Plan and the other will say Mobile Broadband Connect or something.
    Thanks, as of now it is lumping it into one on my Verizon account. It shows I have used like 253,000 MB, when I check VZAccess manger it only shows 53 MB. Maybe because it is new to my account, I will keep an eye on it and see if things change over the next few weeks. My billing cycle is up on the 21st so I will check to see if things may change after my cycle is over.
    03-05-09 09:09 AM
    Okay lets see if this works.

The screen shot of my overview should be attached so you can see how it is lumping it all into one.
    Last edited by ok4a56; 03-05-09 at 09:21 AM.
    03-05-09 09:12 AM
    That's in KB. I don't think you can hit 220k+ MB on a blackberry. There is 1024 Kb's in 1MB. Click the link that says "Show usage in Megabytes"
    03-05-09 02:37 PM
    I mis typed above and understand it was KB, sorry about that.

What I was trying to show was the teathering and BB data was lumped together and was not sure if that would mess anything up when it came to billing if I happen to get to 5GB on my teathering and then my total goes over 5GB using mt BB.

Sorry about that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-09 09:40 PM
    I have the tethering account. question is, can I have this set up on multiple computers? do I use "network connections" in Control Panel or do I have to have the Access Manager disk for each computer?

if I was to say, visit my parents could I just plug in and get online?
    You can run VZAccess Manager on two computers, sure, you just cant connect both to the modem at the same time. I do this and move the modem between the laptop and desktop as needed.
    03-06-09 12:31 AM
    It goes on to this: http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/te...ml#post1836315
    03-07-09 01:49 PM
    My tethering data and my BB data is still lumped together on the VZW site. I am at 644MB at the moment, and I know I have 5GB limit with tethering, but I don't want to see me go over my 5GB limit because my data is combined.

I thought they where suppose to be listed separate, or am I worrying about nothing.

I just don't want a $700 date bill come my way anytime soon
    03-08-09 04:24 PM
    My tethering data and my BB data is still lumped together on the VZW site. I am at 644MB at the moment, and I know I have 5GB limit with tethering, but I don't want to see me go over my 5GB limit because my data is combined.

I thought they where suppose to be listed separate, or am I worrying about nothing.

I just don't want a $700 date bill come my way anytime soon
    I've never known it to be separate when I've had tethering.

I would not worry about it. You have to be using the BB data plan A LOT to go over ONE gig let alone FIVE, and I use my VZW modem every day for internet for email, web surfing, downloads, etc and generally only use about 3 GB and some months only two.
    03-08-09 09:05 PM
    Great thanks.

03-08-09 09:53 PM
    (1) A person is guilty of theft of telecommunication services if he or she knowingly and with intent to avoid payment:

(a) Uses a telecommunication device to obtain telecommunication services without having entered into a prior agreement with a telecommunication service provider to pay for the telecommunication services; or
    (b) Possesses a telecommunication device.

(2) Theft of telecommunication services is a class C felony.
    Using the email and web serivce to tether is clearly not theft of service. You are paying for the serivce. You just aren't using it the way you agreed to use it.

More importantly, wireless carriers aren't going to sue you or jail you. They are either going to bill you, cancel you, do both, or do nothing.

I'm not a lawyer but I've done contract work with several wireless carriers. I've also tethered for years using pdanet on win mobile phones. I've never seen one report of tethering being considered a crime.
    03-09-09 09:34 AM
    Using the email and web serivce to tether is clearly not theft of service. You are paying for the serivce. You just aren't using it the way you agreed to use it.

More importantly, wireless carriers aren't going to sue you or jail you. They are either going to bill you, cancel you, do both, or do nothing.

I'm not a lawyer but I've done contract work with several wireless carriers. I've also tethered for years using pdanet on win mobile phones. I've never seen one report of tethering being considered a crime.
    I agree with Uqmoore> and I'm LOVING THIS Applicaiton!! and paying $39.99 one time is sure better that $15 amonth to VZW! and NOT theft I'm able to work every where now, even use my Corp VPN and RDP! For me it is well worth the one time cost!
    03-09-09 01:01 PM
    Got this off the tetherberry forum:

I talked with a tech support rep and she stated that VZW would not have a problem with using a third party provider for tehtering, However she said to read the fine print on any terms of use before using a third party provider. In other words make sure you have an unlimited data plan and that you monitor your usage. She also went on to say that the phones you purchase are yours and yo can do anything you want with them,VZW cannot and will not monopolize the tethering feature...but you will be responsible for any overages that you rack up. She said as for the future she was not sure what VZW would do (if they would charge us or not) as this is the first that they have heard of TetherBerry. I really want to take advantage of this service but I am alittle bit on the fence about the whole thing.... It would interesting to hear what other opinions are about this.
    03-11-09 10:02 AM
    It works like this...
    1. You have a BB Curve with BIS on it for $29.99 a month
    2. If you want to tether your device, you pay an ADDITIONAL $29.99 a month (same as a VZW broadband modem)

IF by chance you have BES on your company phone, you pay $44.99 a month. If you would like to tether your company phone to your laptop / home pc it would cost you an additional $15 a month to tether that device.

Hopes that clears things up for you.
    03-11-09 05:05 PM

You'd be surprised. Verizon Wireless defends it's property very vigorously. If you search "Verizon Wireless lawsuits." We've sued a lot of people, for a lot of things. You do not pay for the tethering when you pay for the Email & Web feature. This is clear in the TOS. The feature you pay for is irrelevant to tethering so yes, it would theft of services that you have not entered into an agreement with the carrier to allow you to have.
    Last edited by Weekendbum; 03-12-09 at 12:59 AM.
    03-12-09 12:50 AM
    You'd be surprised. Verizon Wireless defends it's property very vigorously. If you search "Verizon Wireless lawsuits." We've sued a lot of people, for a lot of things. You do not pay for the tethering when you pay for the Email & Web feature. This is clear in the TOS. The feature you pay for is irrelevant to tethering so yes, it would theft of services that you have not entered into an agreement with the carrier to allow you to have.
    If you know of a case where vzw sued someone for tethering, please share it. I tethered for years without penalty. Maybe I got lucky.....

Clearly I am not stealing "vzw's tethering service". I'm not even using vzw's tethering service so I can't steal it!!! I'm a tethering using the service I pay for, the email and web service. I could tether over voice if I wanted to. ****, I could tether over SMS service if someone wrote an application to do so.

It's like saying if I dont use comcast's phone service but I use vonage internet phone service instead, I'm stealing because I'm not paying comcast for phone service.
    03-13-09 04:59 PM
    Different analogies, to be sure. I have heard of CATV Internet providers blocking or restricting VoIP, but that isn't the norm. What is more similar is running a music streaming server on Comcast service in violation of their TOS.

Wireless carriers do explicitly say their service is not to be used for tethering. I have seen, heard & been shown bills where tethering was detected, an investigation was performed, three years of charges applied and/or service suspended.

Check the TOS. I regularly view VZW's for changes & theirs has mentioned no tethering and no streaming for years.

So if you're tethering without agreement, you can be held accountable.

03-13-09 05:46 PM
    What about using the tethering option for playing Xbox live, would that be a lot of data usage or not?

Also I'm a little new to Blackberries so could someone break down the benefit of paying 30.00 for Tetherberry as opposed to 30.00 for VZW access?
    03-14-09 03:47 PM
    You use VZaccess to tether, so the $30 fee is what it will cost you to tether. VZaccess is a program you download to teather.

03-14-09 04:01 PM
    Woops, as for xboz live, I am sure that will shoot you up to the 5 gig cap in no time at all.

03-14-09 04:02 PM
    Woops, as for xboz live, I am sure that will shoot you up to the 5 gig cap in no time at all.
    In about 3.27938 seconds, if I remember correctly.

03-14-09 04:30 PM
    If you know of a case where vzw sued someone for tethering, please share it. I tethered for years without penalty. Maybe I got lucky.....

Clearly I am not stealing "vzw's tethering service". I'm not even using vzw's tethering service so I can't steal it!!! I'm a tethering using the service I pay for, the email and web service. I could tether over voice if I wanted to. ****, I could tether over SMS service if someone wrote an application to do so.

It's like saying if I dont use comcast's phone service but I use vonage internet phone service instead, I'm stealing because I'm not paying comcast for phone service.
    I don't know of anyone who's been sued. Verizon has disconnected/billed the person though for all their back usage.

I don't know how else to explain it to you. You're using data you haven't paid for. That's theft.
    03-14-09 06:57 PM
    I don't know of anyone who's been sued. Verizon has disconnected/billed the person though for all their back usage.
    Agreed, Bum.

As for ugmoore, it could happen to you - new billing technology is rolling out on all carriers to detect this stuff within minutes. And while you might think you can just go without paying it (what's 7 years' bad credit to the kids of today?), VZW's records & ability to collect can transcend decades.

Okay, so if they do it to you, you swallow the bad credit & switch to another carrier. What if that carrier gets bought by VZW? You might want to ask the Cingular users who bailed on an AT&T bill or the Alltel or Qwest customers who skipped on VZW or even Airtouch. Wow - merger finalized, and old amount added to current bill. Still don't pay it? New charges, new billing, another 7 years on your Equifax & you're conjuring up a new lie to explain to your friends & family why you're now on another carrier with a different phone number. Maybe you'll again be claiming VZW screwed you, when in reality it was you who were acting in bad faith, trying to screw them.

Yeah - I really want to listen to the types who try to get away with crap - they are so intelligent. They belong in France with the rest of the whiners.

I get so tired of the bozos who are always trying to get away with things - they raise costs for the honest consumers out here.
    03-14-09 08:07 PM
    I just don't get why they don't pay the $30 a month. It's a lot better than paying $.25/mb
    03-15-09 02:11 AM
137 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD