09-30-09 11:36 AM
137 123 ...
tools
    I have read various threads and I am confused. I have VZW BIS for my curve. Does that give me 5MB of unlimited thethering or will I be charged for any and all thethering? About how long, in terms of minutes and hours is 5MB?

Thanks
    01-09-09 08:36 AM
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, but...

1) It's 5GB, not 5MB.
    2) You can't tether with just the BIS plan. There's a $15 a month option to allow tethering.

I can't give an answer to hours and mins for a specific bandwith...depends on if you're typing e-mails, or if you're watching youtube. There's a huge difference.
    01-09-09 08:40 AM
    if you are on the 29.99 BIS plan.. its $30.00 extra to tether.. 5gb
    01-09-09 08:41 AM
    Thanks guys!!!!
    01-09-09 08:42 AM
    Well, you can tether without paying the monthly fee. It is not something VZW can turn off. That being said, if you tether without the plan, VZW monitors your usage and if they see a huge spike in it, will charge you for tethering, and throttle your data usage to a very limited amount.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-09 02:07 PM
    You may also be prosecuted for theft since you're.....stealing.

01-09-09 03:44 PM
    Well, you can tether without paying the monthly fee. It is not something VZW can turn off. That being said, if you tether without the plan, VZW monitors your usage and if they see a huge spike in it, will charge you for tethering, and throttle your data usage to a very limited amount.

No you can't. Yes they can (and do) disable tethering. Tethered and untethered data use different credentials when logging into Verizon's network. These credentials are stored on your device. If you don't pay for tethering your device does not have the necessary credentials for tethered use.
    01-09-09 08:25 PM
    I have read various threads and I am confused. I have VZW BIS for my curve. Does that give me 5MB of unlimited thethering or will I be charged for any and all thethering? About how long, in terms of minutes and hours is 5MB?

Thanks
    1st its tethering and its 5gb .After 5gb has been downloaded Verizon will throttle you download speed down
    01-10-09 03:47 AM
    1st its tethering and its 5gb .After 5gb has been downloaded Verizon will throttle you download speed down
    Speed throttling is almost a thing of the past. Over 5GB will be charged at .25 per MB. mcuh better incentive not abuse the service, also expensive
    01-10-09 08:27 AM
    Speed throttling is almost a thing of the past. Over 5GB will be charged at .25 per MB. mcuh better incentive not abuse the service, also expensive
    So u can thether without a plan but you only get 5GB before they charge you?

01-10-09 08:36 AM
    So u can thether without a plan but you only get 5GB before they charge you?

Tethering without a plan is stealing. But if you get the plan, 5GB is the limit of the plan before they charge you per Gb or MB or however they charge you when you tether.
    01-10-09 08:49 AM
    no you cannot tether without plan.
    01-10-09 09:04 AM
    no you cannot tether without plan.
    THANKSSSS!!!!!
    01-10-09 09:05 AM
    I wish they offered a FREE plan where they enable tethering and then charged all usage as an overage. The only use I have for tethering is getting traffic updates on my TomTom GPS. At overage rates I would be surprised if I got charged more than $1 per month.
    01-10-09 09:51 AM
    You may also be prosecuted for theft since you're.....stealing.

Um, no.

You might want to go to law school and pass the bar before you dole out legal advice.

First, there is a difference between the criminal act of theft (or "stealing" as you call it), and the civil wrong of breach of contract. Having said that, using this program (in my opinion as an attorney) is absolutely not a "crime" and is not even likely to amount to a breach of contract.

Second, the phrase, "...or (2) for any applications that tether your device to laptops or personal computers..." that you rely upon is (1) extremely vague and (2) widely open to interpretation.

Third, a basic principle of contract law (which you would know if you were an attorney) is that its terms are construed against the drafter of the contract, namely Verizon. Thus, any ambiguities or uncertainties that might exist, (which is the case here) will be resolved against them. Meaning they will lose.

Fourth, whether using this software is "illegal" is not decided by you regardless of how many times you attempt to profess to be the ultimate authority on contract law. Ultimately it would be up to a court of law, if it ever got that far, which it most certainly would not.

Of course, everyone, including you, is entitled to their own "opinion," regardless of (in)accuracy. But remember, you're a Verizon Rep, not a Verizon attorney.

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am a licensed attorney, but nothing in this post is intended to be legal advice.
    02-25-09 01:00 AM
    Um, no.

You might want to go to law school and pass the bar before you dole out legal advice.

First, there is a difference between the criminal act of theft (or "stealing" as you call it), and the civil wrong of breach of contract. Having said that, using this program (in my opinion as an attorney) is absolutely not a "crime" and is not even likely to amount to a breach of contract.

Second, the phrase, "...or (2) for any applications that tether your device to laptops or personal computers..." that you rely upon is (1) extremely vague and (2) widely open to interpretation.

Third, a basic principle of contract law (which you would know if you were an attorney) is that its terms are construed against the drafter of the contract, namely Verizon. Thus, any ambiguities or uncertainties that might exist, (which is the case here) will be resolved against them. Meaning they will lose.

Fourth, whether using this software is "illegal" is not decided by you regardless of how many times you attempt to profess to be the ultimate authority on contract law. Ultimately it would be up to a court of law, if it ever got that far, which it most certainly would not.

Of course, everyone, including you, is entitled to their own "opinion," regardless of (in)accuracy. But remember, you're a Verizon Rep, not a Verizon attorney.

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am a licensed attorney, but nothing in this post is intended to be legal advice.

Very well said! There are way too many ppl on here that claim absolute fact when they know little to nothing. Sounds a lot more to me like ideology than actual knowledge of civil law.
    02-25-09 01:40 AM
    Um, no.

Stealing in the moral sense is what I believe he may have been referring to. There is often a vast difference between the two. That & I don't believe he has ever made a claim to being a legal representative.

As I and others have said many times over the years, "just because it is legal does not make it right." Then again, when I get undercharged at the grocery store, I insist on paying the shortfall on my next visit. Moral conscience, you understand.

I do have to agree with you on the legal aspect. I can't see anyone being dragged off to jail or into a court of law for connecting their laptop to a wireless phone without paying for tethering.

Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 02-25-09 at 01:46 AM.
    02-25-09 01:42 AM
    So if a company charges for a service say HBO and you do something to circumvent paying for that service (cable descrambler) yet you still make use of it, that's not stealing?

How is for any applications that tether your device to laptops or personal computers vague? If you use a program like Mobishark or Tetherberry are those not applications? Are you not using it to tether a laptop or personal computer?

I understand that the police aren't going to show up and arrest anyone however if Verizon found someone using one of these programs, they would be completely in their right to charge them through a court for all the months the service was "stolen".
    02-25-09 01:51 AM
    I understand that the police aren't going to show up and arrest anyone however if Verizon found someone using one of these programs, they would be completely in their right to charge them through a court for all the months the service was "stolen".
    Actually, now that I reread it all, I personally believe you are correct - at least in many states. In the one I am in, there is a mattter of what they refer to as "theft of services" which originally was intended to be used against those who fail to pay for intangibles like hotel rooms or taxicab fares. In more recent times, it has been successfully used by cable, telephone & electric companies for criminal prosecutions.

Using pirated CATV converters, blueboxing telco or modifying metering equipment have all been prosecuted. I can see where a judge might take a view of the law & apply it to mobile phone service, as well. In my reading of the statutes, I don't think it would be a difficult sell for a motivated prosecutor.

For those with more legal experience than I have - no, I don't care what you say you are. I wouldn't trust an attorney who spends time on a message board anyway. Wait, I don't trust attorneys period. I know too many lawyer jokes - read these, noticing in the definitions, it does state communications as being defined as a service that can be covered & prosecuted.

So, I don't know gang. Of course, I don't care how it is applied, because I live to a higher standard than the bastardized text we call law these days. Instead of allowing lawyers to advertise, they should've locked them up. But hey, that is just one man's opinion.
    02-25-09 02:16 AM
    So if a company charges for a service say HBO and you do something to circumvent paying for that service (cable descrambler) yet you still make use of it, that's not stealing?
    -- You're misunderstanding crimes vs. breaches of contract.

How is for any applications that tether your device to laptops or personal computers vague? If you use a program like Mobishark or Tetherberry are those not applications? Are you not using it to tether a laptop or personal computer?
    -- Any program used to transfer a file from a PC to the SD card via USB is also an application that tethers. Is that vague enough for you?

-- If they were utterly stupid they might. But as a loyal Verizon employee I'm sure you would agree they're not that dumb.

Last edited by priv8investig8r; 02-25-09 at 09:55 AM. Reason: formatting
    02-25-09 02:23 AM
    02-25-09 02:48 AM
    Stealing in the moral sense is what I believe he may have been referring to. There is often a vast difference between the two. That & I don't believe he has ever made a claim to being a legal representative.

As I and others have said many times over the years, "just because it is legal does not make it right." Then again, when I get undercharged at the grocery store, I insist on paying the shortfall on my next visit. Moral conscience, you understand.

I do have to agree with you on the legal aspect. I can't see anyone being dragged off to jail or into a court of law for connecting their laptop to a wireless phone without paying for tethering.

So now moral sense is what your refering to??? What happened to private company ... can do whatever they want so long as u agree.... go elsewhere and find another carrier if u dont like it.... so now we're back to moral sense??? wow!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 02-25-09 at 02:55 AM.
    02-25-09 02:52 AM
    02-25-09 09:57 AM
    The most that is gonna happen is they get charged for the data and/or their accoutn gets shut down. VZW is not going to take the time to go after someone legally weather they have the right to or not. It would cost more in legal fees than it is worth.
    02-26-09 03:30 AM
    Yes, I would.

Very easily.
    Then you are contributing to why less than 1 out of 5 people think lawyers are very ethical.
    02-26-09 08:49 AM
137 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD