I have heard from a few people that you can upgrade your line after a year but you have to sign up for another contract. Meaning a new phone at the discounted rate.

Also remember something about VIP and upgrading.

Any truth to this? or is it just the new every 2?
    04-21-10 07:35 PM
    04-21-10 07:50 PM
    no real answer, just someone stating that the main line does get a yearly upgrade but someone else saying no. The picture to me is just the price of a phone if your buying a "1" or "2" year contract not upgrading after 1 or 2.
    04-21-10 08:06 PM
    Not sure if this helps, but yea, after your eligible for an upgrade on your current phone, you pick the 1-yr or 2-yr phone with it's corresponding price. If your the Primary line with the NE2, then you'll get an additional $30/$50 credit on top of either contract price.
    So, you have to get another contract after your current expires if you upgrade your phone, and it can be a 1-yr or 2yr.

Does this help? Not sure if you were asking if you can just go month-to-month instead of signing up for a new contract?
    04-21-10 08:22 PM
    no real answer, just someone stating that the main line does get a yearly upgrade but someone else saying no. The picture to me is just the price of a phone if your buying a "1" or "2" year contract not upgrading after 1 or 2.
    That's not the question you asked.

You asked "I have heard from a few people that you can upgrade your line after a year but you have to sign up for another contract. Meaning a new phone at the discounted rate.
    Any truth to this? or is it just the new every 2? "

The answer is "Yes".

You can upgrade your line after a year.

You can upgrade after a day.

The discounted price will depend upon your access plan rate.
    04-21-10 08:29 PM
    Basically I'm looking to get a new HTC, my new every two is not availible for 12 months, so I'm about 1 year into my 2 year contract.

I heard that after a year I can buy a new phone at the "discounted" rate and extending my contract another 2 years, as if I was purchasing a new line.
    04-21-10 08:31 PM

You asked "I have heard from a few people that you can upgrade your line after a year but you have to sign up for another contract. Meaning a new phone at the discounted rate.

The answer is "Yes".

You can upgrade your line after a year.

You can upgrade after a day.

The discounted price will depend upon your access plan rate.
    How do you upgrade your phone after a day at a discounted rate?
    04-21-10 08:34 PM

Figured you would have known what I meant when I mentioned NE2
    04-21-10 08:38 PM
    How do you upgrade your phone after a day at a discounted rate?
    You don't.

But you can upgrade anytime you want. You just have to decide how much you are willing to pay.
    04-21-10 09:15 PM
    You don't.

But you can upgrade anytime you want. You just have to decide how much you are willing to pay.
    Then that is pointless and nowhere near what I was looking for.
    04-21-10 10:12 PM
    Are you saying that by paying more and only with a one year contract, you should pay less on data plans since there's less phone cost to subsidize?

I agree, but it'll never happen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-10 10:29 PM
    Basically I'm looking to get a new HTC, my new every two is not availible for 12 months, so I'm about 1 year into my 2 year contract.

I heard that after a year I can buy a new phone at the "discounted" rate and extending my contract another 2 years, as if I was purchasing a new line.
    if you're 1 year into your 2 year contract and you're the primary line holder, then you can get the discounted rate to upgrade your phone. however, if you do wait till the end of the 2 year, you get an additional $50 off. this does not apply to secondary lines and they must wait 22 months i think.
    04-21-10 10:33 PM
    You can get a new phone every year with Annual Upgrade. Sign up for a 2-year agreement on a calling plan of at least $49.99 and you can purchase a new phone at its promotional price through My Verizon every year with a 2-year renewal (upgrade fee may apply).
    04-21-10 10:36 PM
    if you're 1 year into your 2 year contract and you're the primary line holder, then you can get the discounted rate to upgrade your phone. however, if you do wait till the end of the 2 year, you get an additional $50 off. this does not apply to secondary lines and they must wait 22 months i think.
    Thank you this is what I was looking for.
    04-21-10 11:25 PM
    we get yearly upgrades as if it were a 2 year contract through our VIP discount so you'd have to check if you have that option in whatever VIP discount you may be eligible for through your company or school.
    04-22-10 07:13 AM
    You have to have at least the 900 minute plan for a single line or at least the 1,400 min family plan to be eligible for yearly upgrade. If you're on the 450 or 700 min plan you have to wait 15 months.

04-22-10 07:46 PM
    we get yearly upgrades as if it were a 2 year contract through our VIP discount so you'd have to check if you have that option in whatever VIP discount you may be eligible for through your company or school.
    That's what I have, I can get a new phone very year at the discounted price. I'm eligible now but my curve 8330 works well and I'm not sure which way I want to go with it. Maybe a droid this time.
    04-23-10 05:56 AM
    It is all by your plans cost, not by minutes. I am eligible for annual upgrades and I only have a family share plan with 700 min but I also have unlimited texting. It is all about the price of your plan. I believe it is 59.99 for individual and 79.99 for a family plan.

The main line can di an annual upgrade...not secondary lines.

04-23-10 07:43 AM
    This didn't work for me about a month ago. I'm almost 2 years into my contract. I'm eligible for an upgrade in about 2 weeks. I'm the primary account holder with a plan of 1400 minutes. When I tried to get the Droid online a few weeks ago it said I could pay full retail of $529 I think, or wait until May and get the discounted rate of $199.99
    My NE2 is set for May of this year.
    How are you all able to upgrade after only a year? Am I doing something wrong?

04-23-10 08:56 AM
    I've been with Verizon for about nine years, with three lines, sharing a relatively low 500 minutes. They pretty much let me upgrade the primary line whenever I want. We're on some sort of Nationwide Loyalty plan.
    04-25-10 05:45 AM
    This didn't work for me about a month ago. I'm almost 2 years into my contract. I'm eligible for an upgrade in about 2 weeks. I'm the primary account holder with a plan of 1400 minutes. When I tried to get the Droid online a few weeks ago it said I could pay full retail of $529 I think, or wait until May and get the discounted rate of $199.99

Maybe you don't pay your bills on time. The other qualification is a current account. If your NE2 is in May just wait, so you can get that additional money off the price of the phone and not have to pay an Early Upgrade fee.
    04-25-10 11:53 AM

Hmm I'm not sure, my monthly bill is around 100-110 pretax and I was eligible for an upgrade a year in.

What's your monthly bill? Maybe that has something to do with it?
    04-25-10 07:48 PM
    I have heard from a few people that you can upgrade your line after a year but you have to sign up for another contract. Meaning a new phone at the discounted rate.

Also remember something about VIP and upgrading.

Any truth to this? or is it just the new every 2?
    you can upgrade every year (primary line only) at the 2 year price of a phone and extend your contract 2 years plus pay $20 extra to do that (was an altell policy that verizon adopted when the buyout happened last year. this info has been verified by customer service, and both corporate and indirect verizon stores. i believe it only works if you're a former altell customer that got moved to verizon during the buyout
    04-26-10 06:41 AM
    I was told that the main account holder can do an early upgrade at one year if they choose but there is a $25 fee to do so.
    04-29-10 08:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD