07-10-09 03:20 PM
45 12
tools
    I have had my storm replaced 3 times in the last month and I asked CS if I could downgrade to a Curve or another blackberry and he told my yes and its called a "multi-fru" exchange. He told me that since the Storm was the top of the line, I could exchange for any of the other devices including the pearl flip at no charge. I told him I wanted to go down to a retail store to check out the other devices and I would call back. After deciding I wanted the pearl flip I called back to get the exchange and the CS rep said that they have never heard of a "multi-fru" exchange and that I couldn't upgrade until my two-year contract is up. Am I being lied to?
    06-24-09 09:27 PM
    The first rep is correct. While I do not use the policy myself, I do not think all the info provided by the first rep is correct. If anything after the replacements, you would get a new one of the same device. There are exceptions made on a case by case basis.

In your case if the first noted you are entitle to one, then the second rep did not review the notes. The second rep, is being lazy.
    06-24-09 09:38 PM
    There is such a policy. Its called a multi-exchange. The reason the second rep knew nothing about it is because it is a store process and should never be offered by customer care. Half the time customer service reps offer this to customers who do not even qualify. You have to have "x' number of warranty replacements within a 90 day time frame. At that time you can be offered a brand new device. Doing this will extend your upgrade 20 months though. There is a list of comparable phones, but there are none for the storm really. I would go to the store to see what they can offer. Plus there has to be a legit issue with your phone now or they won't exchange it. And whenever a rep says something like that you need to get their name and direct line.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-09 11:06 PM
    Exchange a device out 3 times for warranty issues, and you can change to a different device. No matter what. And it is mainly done over the phone with the FRU department. It's a department I talk to almost everyday.
    06-24-09 11:33 PM
    There is such a policy. Its called a multi-exchange. The reason the second rep knew nothing about it is because it is a store process and should never be offered by customer care. Half the time customer service reps offer this to customers who do not even qualify. You have to have "x' number of warranty replacements within a 90 day time frame. At that time you can be offered a brand new device. Doing this will extend your upgrade 20 months though. There is a list of comparable phones, but there are none for the storm really. I would go to the store to see what they can offer. Plus there has to be a legit issue with your phone now or they won't exchange it. And whenever a rep says something like that you need to get their name and direct line.

I work in the a retail location. There is something called a multi-fru exchange, but it not a "policy". It is something that the manager can do at their discretion. There are guidelines about who can get the exchange. 3 exchanges within 90 days while still within the one year manufacturer's warranty. Any replacement due to insurance or other physical damage does not count toward the 3 exchange guideline. The problems have to be such that they can be duplicated while in store and have to go through the complete troubleshooting process. Also, the customer does not get to choose the device. There is a substitution matrix. If the substitution is made, the matrix usually calls for it to be a move into the same brand of phone of similar features. Since there is no other Blackberry of similar features to the Storm offered by Verizon, then it's very likely that there is no substitution device on the matrix. The upgrade date is extended 20 months from the date of the exchange and it's your last option if offered. You can't come back after the exchange and decide you don't like the phone and want a different one. That model is your phone for the next 20 months.

Finally, customer care can do the exchange just as well as store locations. There used to be an M&P (back when we still used those) that outlined the process for retail location and with care and tech support. The care M&P specifically stated that care reps should not advise customers of the exchange process (they used to call it fru-to-new) and send them to a store, but they consistently ignored that policy and sent them to the store for the exchange (and still do). They just prefer to send the customer into the store to do the exchange. My manager, and many others, take the position that if customer care offers the multi-fru exchange, then they have to do the exchange. My manager rarely approves those types of exchanges and when she does it's because that customer has an established history in our location for problems and troubleshooting for the phone.

Doing a multi-fru used to be easier to get authorized since it happened so infrequently, but these days the customers have heard about it and try to use it to get a new phone by presenting "problems" with phones that cannot be duplicated in store

My advice is if someone offers you an exchange as an exception, then take them up on it immediately. Do not let them refer you to a store (or to customer care) to take advantage of it. A manager of a retail location does not have to honor an exception made outside of policy by a customer care supervisor (and vice versa). If it's a standard policy, then yes either place will usually honor it, but one rep can force another rep to honor something that is not a standard offer by Verizon Wireless.
    Last edited by JDnLou; 06-24-09 at 11:38 PM.
    06-24-09 11:35 PM
    JDnLou is correct. And if you need any proof that people will try and play the system to get something for free, check out a few threads in the Blackberry Tour section.

And frankly, my guess would be the second rep "didn't know" because he was trying to avoid the issue. I personally won't do it, but if something is not supposed to be proactively offered to customers except in extreme circumstances, often reps will play dumb. Me, I try to find the root cause of the original issue, because the types that proactively offer multi-frus when against policy often do it to shut customers up without actually fixing the problem in the first place. If something's set funny on their account, we could give 'em a million phones and it'd never fix a thing. You'd be surprised how much a customer's tone changes when they find their phone works just fine. :P

I'll tell you this much. If you try and call us up and try to get multi-frued just to get a freebee out of us, we can usually tell. Two words: Don't bother.
    06-25-09 12:58 AM
    It is something that the manager can do at their discretion.
    Read: THIS is the important part.

Polychrome makes a good point too. If you come in and specifically ask for a multi-exchange because "my friend had this phone and had so much trouble with it that they exchanged him" or you escalate because you don't meet the guidelines, you probably won't get too much help.

The big problem with the policy is that a lot of customers come back and thing that we handle the warranty services, which we do to a point, yes; but we're representing the manufacturer's warranty in store so that you don't have to ship your phone out to LG or RIM or Samsung, etc. Most manufacturers, even if you send the phone back a lot of times, won't put you into a different phone, so it's something that Verizon is going out of their way to do for you, so if you get one, even though it extends your upgrade date, remember: it doesn't extend your actual contract, and we're going out a significant amount of money for something that the manufacturer's warranty doesn't handle, so appreciate it for what it is, which is us trying to help you get a phone that actually works.

Unfortunately for consumers, there is no "lemon law" for cell phones. So essentially, no one is required to put you into a different model, no matter how much trouble you're having with it. You could have to have your phone exchanged every day for all the manufactuer cares: they will still likely not recall it and will probably not put you into a different model. In all my time working in the cellular industry, I have seen ONE phone "recall", and it was really just a hinge issue and they don't actually put you into a different model; they just do a warranty swap.

We will always put you into a comparable model, unless nothing is available that is similar. In which case, you can usually ask a manager if you would be ok with a possible downgrade. Sometimes they're cool with it, sometimes they're not. The matrix (at least where I'm from) is really more of a guide than a set rule.

Also, for those who don't know, yelling at Verizon reps about what the warranty does and does not cover is useless. We neither write the warranties or have any influence on the people who do.
    06-25-09 08:31 AM
    Multi-FRU=Extreme exception, not rule.

Thanks to several of you for the great explanations on it.

Stories about things like this sprout lives all their own online. A friend of a friend heard that someone's grandmother's neighbor had it happen to an elder at their church who passed away last year and they tell others about it. In the course of stories being retold, it gets changed into "I've had it done on every phone on my five-line family plan" and "all my junk LG phones were happily exchanged for brand-new smartphones with a year's worth of free data plans!"

And the uninitiated swallow the story as fact & spread it further.

VZW goes out of their way for customers to a much greater degree than other carriers, but they aren't stupid.

Posted from my BS-Detector-Berry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-09 08:52 AM
    "In all my time working in the cellular industry, I have seen ONE phone "recall", and it was really just a hinge issue and they don't actually put you into a different model; they just do a warranty swap."
    Have you forgotten about the Glyde hardware refresh already ???? About as close to a recall as you're gonna get, too.
    06-25-09 01:16 PM
    Hardware refresh on the Glyde? Interesting. Good thing I resisted begging from kids for that one.

06-25-09 01:56 PM
    VZW goes out of their way for customers to a much greater degree than other carriers, but they aren't stupid.
    It is funny how many people think they can outsmart the carriers. Hamburger flippers, bedpan changers, convenience store clerks and they think they can put the screws to cell phone companies with their approval processes and lawyers. You know the crowd of people in those commercials where they are always there for you? They didn't call central casting. They put their legal department in front of the cameras.

06-25-09 02:08 PM
    Have you forgotten about the Glyde hardware refresh already ???? About as close to a recall as you're gonna get, too.
    Lol good point. I keep forgetting about the bloody glyde. Ok. TWO recall-ish-things in my time with the Dubbs. But still, they weren't really recalls... more just known issues that were being replaced with the same device. I even got an 8350 replacement out of the box, OUT OF THE BOX, and when I flipped it open, the little hinge piece on the right side went *PING* and flew across the room.
    06-25-09 02:23 PM
    Hi

I have similar issues, The 1st Strom i had a screen malfunctioning issue and was replaced a few months back, The 2nd worked great for 3 months and unexpectedly started malfunctioning a week back, I would get a whitescreen for like 30 seconds everytime the phone was unlocked from sleep mode and i started having random reboots, they sent a replacement last friday which i guess was a refurb. this one had problems from day 1 with the screen and also the rebooted every 2-3 hours or so..i did the wipe, reloaded .148 still no good..they sent me one more refurb today after failing to give me a solution for the problems i had..this one was so bad that i i didnt even bother to activate..i had to like press the screen hard with my thumb to get any response from it.....now they are sending me one more replacement..which i guess would be a refurb again......i'm really sick and tired of backing up and restoring data and trips to fedex for sending back the phones and calls to Verizon tech support asking for help...

Is anybody facing the same kind of issues and what do i do now?
    06-25-09 04:11 PM
    Ok I got a question. Is there really a problem with the glyde cause my gf has that dang phone and we're on exchange number 3

06-25-09 07:02 PM
    Hi

I have similar issues, The 1st Strom i had a screen malfunctioning issue and was replaced a few months back
    Stop buying those cheap Chinese counterfeits! The Strom copy is almost as bad as the Storm!

Seriously - sounds like you're suffering from all the things wrong with the Storm. It is a bad design. IMHO, the only solution is... SAMSUNG!

Please note - that was only HALF tongue-in-cheek. Search the Storm forums & you will find many others with the same problems.

06-25-09 07:57 PM
    When the customer comes in and asks straight out for a "multi fru" is when you really get suspicious!
    06-25-09 08:18 PM
    Eeh... It's more of one of those early-adapter things. It's first gen heat-sensitive touch technology (apparently the heat sensitivity is supposed to cut down on misdialing). First-gen anything is prone to bugs.
    06-30-09 11:10 AM
    First-gen anything is prone to bugs.
    Except in movies

06-30-09 03:19 PM
    Ok ive been reading a lot of these threads on this topic and all the people that seem to work for verizon. Your all basically that saying that if you cant duplicate an issue or the phone is working fine at the time when someone calls into get tech support. I know that I have called more than once and told that, or told that you cant upgrade the phone or some kind of "crap" i call it and i just ask for a manager and get what I need.
    Not trying to start anything but if anyone as far as support agents run into someone like myself or someone that isnt just gunna take the first or second thing out of your mouth. Verizon always folds. For the most part at least theres always different circumstances. Just giving my thought though.
    06-30-09 06:05 PM
    Ok ive been reading a lot of these threads on this topic and all the people that seem to work for verizon. Your all basically that saying that if you cant duplicate an issue or the phone is working fine at the time when someone calls into get tech support. I know that I have called more than once and told that, or told that you cant upgrade the phone or some kind of "crap" i call it and i just ask for a manager and get what I need.
    Not trying to start anything but if anyone as far as support agents run into someone like myself or someone that isnt just gunna take the first or second thing out of your mouth. Verizon always folds. For the most part at least theres always different circumstances. Just giving my thought though.
    WOW same fantasy as posted in the other forum.
    06-30-09 06:42 PM
    Just to let you know those "supervisors" are mostly just another rep..
    06-30-09 07:49 PM
    ahh but so true...vzw almost always folds.
    06-30-09 07:51 PM
    I don't. I've called plenty of "i'm going to disconnect" bluffs and usually the call mysteriously drops.
    06-30-09 07:53 PM
    some people fold at their total etf charges. paying a few hundred to switch out can make ppl change their tunes. good for you bum.
    06-30-09 07:56 PM
    WOW same fantasy as posted in the other forum.
    See thats the funny thing...somehow the other thread I started got deleted but everyone says that I'm full of s***. But the funny thing is, I'm not...Everything that I said and every example I made is all true and not fabricated at all. People can believe whatever they want but...So in all honesty its not a fantasy at all just how hard you push or how much s*** you give them to see how much they take care of you
    07-01-09 09:01 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD