I have an unlimited data plan and was wondering if there was a soft cap? I never go over 2 gb a month but I've been using pandora a lot and I'm around 5 gb this month. I don't want to get in trouble for using too much data even though I have an unlimited plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-10 12:41 AM
    I have seen users use about6-9 GBs on their data plans and have never seen a cap or throttle of data. I am sure if it was habitual they would investigate it, but I have never seen anyone charged for using "too much" data.
    10-30-10 01:36 AM
    Thanks for the response. I've read of the other service providers throttling data speed.

10-30-10 01:47 AM
    I have hit close to 5GB and not experienced a throttle in speeds.

10-30-10 11:03 AM
    Just out of curiosity, what kinds of things are y'all doing with your phones to get up to 5 and 6GBs? Is it just lots of streaming music like the OP mentioned or are there other apps that are also huge data hogs?? Thx for the info.

11-27-10 10:14 PM
    I've mainly been using Pandora. My bill closes on the 4th of Dec. I'm at 4.6 gb.

11-27-10 10:16 PM
    Yes there is a softcap, its 5gbs. Our can use as much as you want but i believe if you go over 5gbs like 3 months straight they will call or email you about it.

12-03-10 09:56 PM
    I think its unlimited on phones but not USB or Mifi devices. I've heard of verizon having a 5G soft cap but never knew of it being enforced.

12-03-10 10:22 PM
    Its not a soft cap for Mifi. I've been taken to the cleaners on overages before. Its 5GB, or 10GB.

12-09-10 04:02 AM
    There is language in the ToS about reasonable use of bandwidth which they define as using 5GBs or less per month. HOWEVER they are not known to enforce it much, and any enforcement I have ever heard of is a warning.

EDIT: Mifi and broadband cards and tethering plans are different thou, THOSE have a hard cap of 5GBs which they WILL charge you for overages.
    12-09-10 10:02 AM
    Thanks for the input!

12-09-10 12:22 PM
    Just out of curiosity, what kinds of things are y'all doing with your phones to get up to 5 and 6GBs? Is it just lots of streaming music like the OP mentioned or are there other apps that are also huge data hogs?? Thx for the info.

I drive a truck. I have either pandora or my heart radio playing 18hours a day.
    As well as google maps, for my routing. I also love the look of blackstar. it shows
    It shows your speed more accurate than the speedometer.. All three running at the same time.
    can get over 7g a month. I have been throttled back several times.
    But haven't ever received a call or email. Or threaten cancellation.

12-09-10 08:02 PM
    Over the summer i was hitting between 5 and 6 gigs from amy to about September and never got a call or throttled back, so maybe it's if you go over by a lot for consecutive months?
    12-12-10 11:46 AM
    for a couple months I would hit over 8gb and one month I hit 16gb and never recieved a call or letter and was never charged extra for the data. I would mailing download podcasts with podtrapper and web and email no tethering
    12-13-10 02:54 PM
    I don't think legally they can charge you, UNLESS they catch you illegally tethering. That is tethering without tethering on your account. Their relief is to throttle you or to cancel your contract. Generally they just warn you, OR like I said, they just don't enforce it, they just have the language in the terms.
    12-13-10 03:08 PM
    I have never once heard from anyone or seen anyone post about being throttled, cut off, or charged extra for heavy bandwidth use. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if it were some sort of scare tactic just so people would limit their usage just to be safe.
    12-13-10 03:39 PM
    I have never once heard from anyone or seen anyone post about being throttled, cut off, or charged extra for heavy bandwidth use. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if it were some sort of scare tactic just so people would limit their usage just to be safe.
    I have had them cut off my favorite channel on iheart radio.. All other would work.
    just last saturday my blackberry browser button disappeared... they have probably
    tried a dozen things. But I do not tether. Just love a lot of data eating apps.
    I also have a mifi 2200 if they sent me a new storm 2. I would use the
    Wifi and keep this under 5g a month..... A storm 2 might be cheeper
    Then 3 or 4 g of data useage..... But I'll just keep on plugging away until
    Hopefully the new storm 3 hits the market...

12-13-10 06:01 PM
    I was at 7GB this month and I usually am close to that just about every month. It doesn't really take much to get to that. Facebook a few times a day, checking out scores or weather, checking out BB App World, etc all add up pretty quickly.

I've never had any issues whatsoever.
    12-14-10 10:41 AM
    I was at 7GB this month and I usually am close to that just about every month. It doesn't really take much to get to that. Facebook a few times a day, checking out scores or weather, checking out BB App World, etc all add up pretty quickly.

I've never had any issues whatsoever.
    7 GB for just facebook and that? I doubt that! My wife uses her BB for just Facebook and 1 GMail account. The rare web browse and Berry Weather every day...she hits less than 100 MB.
    12-14-10 10:56 AM
    7 GB for just facebook and that? I doubt that! My wife uses her BB for just Facebook and 1 GMail account. The rare web browse and Berry Weather every day...she hits less than 100 MB.
    Well I don't really like getting on the computer when I get home because I'm always on it at work, so I get on a lot. I occasionaly use iHeart and Radio Companion, but not as much as I used to and not this entire billing cycle. I'm just telling you what my usage says on my account and that's all I use it for, so I don't know what to tell you.
    12-14-10 11:21 AM
    I do have 2 GMail accounts and I probably get anywhere from 50 to 100 emails a day depending on who I email while at work.
    12-14-10 11:57 AM
    I have had them cut off my favorite channel on iheart radio.. All other would work.
    just last saturday my blackberry browser button disappeared
    ... they have probably
    tried a dozen things. But I do not tether. Just love a lot of data eating apps.
    I also have a mifi 2200 if they sent me a new storm 2. I would use the
    Wifi and keep this under 5g a month..... A storm 2 might be cheeper
    Then 3 or 4 g of data useage..... But I'll just keep on plugging away until
    Hopefully the new storm 3 hits the market...

This doesn't sound right.

12-14-10 04:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD