04-29-11 08:07 AM
44 12
tools
    I've been a customer since VZW hit the Chicago metro area market.
    I don't like this latest turn of events.
    Feels too heavy-handed in a restrictive sense, for lack of a better description.
    Taking away the 1 year option (no matter what one's reasoning for signing up for that option) feels like taking away some breathing room. Consumers need to feel a little bit of flexibility (even if it's not a smart move economically). It's a psychological reaction. If I'm feeling a crunch, be a little flexible somewhere, I'll pay you back with loyalty. Box me in further, I won't forget. It's human nature. Too many people are feeling cornered in today, any corporation opting to go into long-term choke hold stance with customers is going in the wrong direction. Not a smart move in this economy, IMVHO.

With that I must agree...
    04-11-11 01:21 PM
    It makes sense for them to do this from almost any angle, even if some people will get upset (someone will get upset no matter what you do).

It was a vast minority that opted for the 1 year contract in the first place. Most people in the US buy their phones with 2 year contracts for the subsidized prices (especially 3rd party retailers).

Everyone is basically tightening up anyways, your choices elsewhere aren't exactly improving.

This will have an impact on a minimal number of people and bring in more $$ to VZ because contracts are where the money is, and a 2 year contract is more guaranteed $ than 1 year.
    04-11-11 03:16 PM
    And just to point out more comparisons, most other carriers don't offer 1 year contracts anyways.

Those who don't like contracts at all likely opt for prepaid anyways.

So again, not much has changed for the vast majority at all...
    04-11-11 03:19 PM
    This is the last straw for me. First they get rid of the annual upgrade and now they ditch the one-year contract option. With the Bold Touch coming out this summer and QNX devices to follow in 2012, it makes no sense to sign a two-year contract at this point. I guess I'll be giving AT&T a try as soon as the Bold Touch is out.
    04-11-11 09:48 PM
    This is the last straw for me. First they get rid of the annual upgrade and now they ditch the one-year contract option. With the Bold Touch coming out this summer and QNX devices to follow in 2012, it makes no sense to sign a two-year contract at this point. I guess I'll be giving AT&T a try as soon as the Bold Touch is out.
    Um...You'll still be signing a two year contract there, too.

It makes sense to sign a contract for me. I signed up for Vzw in February, knowing the new CDMA phones, including the Monaco, were going to drop this summer, but I had no choice. I couldn't wait. I'm happy with my S2 and as long as it works, I'm a happy chickie.
    04-12-11 10:12 AM
    That thought wouldn't even be on my lil mind, lol.
    If I considered anything it would be Sprint.
    04-12-11 12:25 PM
    It makes sense for them to do this from almost any angle, even if some people will get upset (someone will get upset no matter what you do).

It was a vast minority that opted for the 1 year contract in the first place. Most people in the US buy their phones with 2 year contracts for the subsidized prices (especially 3rd party retailers).

Everyone is basically tightening up anyways, your choices elsewhere aren't exactly improving.

This will have an impact on a minimal number of people and bring in more $$ to VZ because contracts are where the money is, and a 2 year contract is more guaranteed $ than 1 year.
    I guess I would rather see them do that than raise rates on their data.
    If u have to choose the lesser of two evils.
    04-12-11 12:27 PM
    Um...You'll still be signing a two year contract there, too.

It makes sense to sign a contract for me. I signed up for Vzw in February, knowing the new CDMA phones, including the Monaco, were going to drop this summer, but I had no choice. I couldn't wait. I'm happy with my S2 and as long as it works, I'm a happy chickie.
    Wrong. AT&T has one-year contracts.
    04-12-11 12:40 PM
    I always did two year contracts because they had "early upgrades" if your plan was like $90 or something. No need for a 1 year if I can get a phone every year. BNow they dumped the early upgrade *AND* the one year contract.

Looks like I'll be moving to Sprint.
    04-13-11 12:16 AM
    Other sites have reported they are gone as of last week.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-11 03:19 PM
    Other sites have reported they are gone as of last week.

They have them more expensive, but didn't do away with them. And even if they do, AT&T still has an early upgrade option, which VZW also did away with.
    04-13-11 06:56 PM
    They have them more expensive, but didn't do away with them. And even if they do, AT&T still has an early upgrade option, which VZW also did away with.
    They also just increased the cost of the early upgrade by a huge margin... rather than getting rid of it ($50-$150 for smartphones). Most of the popular high end phones you're looking at $150 increase...

So tomato tomato basically...
    Last edited by papped; 04-13-11 at 07:05 PM.
    04-13-11 07:03 PM
    I don't really understand the big deal here. Buy a phone, get the 2 year pricing, sell it a year later for some of the cost of buying a new phone outright.

Example:
    You buy a Droid X when it came out on a 1 year contract. You paid probably 269.99. 10 months down the road, you like the Tbolt. You buy it for 319.99.
    Grand total, you paid $590.

Or, you bought a Droid X for $199.99. You buy a Tbolt on CL for $500 easily. You sell said Droid X for probably $200 pretty easily. You essentially pay $300 for the Tbolt. Then you do the same thing when you have your 2 yr contract the next year and get a phone for probably free or money in your pocket depending on what you can sell the Tbolt for.

In the end, the one year contract is less money since you can sell the Droid X in the first situation as well. With VZW's pricing that is. If you goto AT&T, your one year pricing is way more than that and it becomes much less aka NO advantage to do one year contracts. Not to mention VZW is pretty good about offering early upgrades as it is now. Take it for what it's worth, but the numbers don't lie. Pretty much no one does one year contracts and when they go away, everyone starts saying ZOMG i was TOTALLY going to do one this time.

I swear if the cell phone mentality carried over to every aspect of life, we would be a very crazy society. Upgrading cars every time a new body style or model came out that we liked better, appliances, tvs, etc. Why can't people be patient or just be happy with what they have for a while?
    04-13-11 09:08 PM
    I swear if the cell phone mentality carried over to every aspect of life, we would be a very crazy society. Upgrading cars every time a new body style or model came out that we liked better, appliances, tvs, etc. Why can't people be patient or just be happy with what they have for a while?
    It already does. Cars are just different because they are much more expensive.

04-14-11 10:54 AM
    It's not always about upgrading because a new style is out.
    Each of my upgrades was because of phone malfunction. One was my fault (Curve slipped out of my hoodie pocket and made a perfect slam dunk into a nearby bucket of water). Others were Storm I (no need to say more) and Tour trackball with a mind of its own.
    04-14-11 12:32 PM
    My guess is that Verizon did this for a few reasons:

1. They can. It's as simple as that -- with nearly 100 Million customers + a narrowing field of competitors, they've decided to tighten the screws since so few of those 100 Million folks chose the 1-Yr option anyway.

2. To help recoup some of their outlay to upgrade and prepare their network for bringing on the iPhone. That money has to come from somewhere and they're trying to keep it from coming from their shareholders' pockets, so why not try to grab a guaranteed revenue stream for as long as possible?

3. To try to get rid of the perpetual price shoppers/service jumpers who constantly try to play the carriers against each other regardless of quality of signal strength, coverage, etc. -- like this mentality, for example:
    I guess I'll be giving AT&T a try as soon as the Bold Touch is out.
    I try to get rid of pure price shoppers in my own business too since they typically end up costing waaay more in service requirements and hassles than than you gain from them in profits.

I personally don't see it as that big of a deal unless you're someone who churns phones and carriers. In fact, I never even knew VZW offered a 1-Yr option anyway and I've been with them for nearly 10 years (not that it mattered since I have no interest in switching carriers anyway).
    04-15-11 01:29 PM
    My guess is that Verizon did this for a few reasons:

1. They can. It's as simple as that -- with nearly 100 Million customers + a narrowing field of competitors, they've decided to tighten the screws since so few of those 100 Million folks chose the 1-Yr option anyway.

2. To help recoup some of their outlay to upgrade and prepare their network for bringing on the iPhone. That money has to come from somewhere and they're trying to keep it from coming from their shareholders' pockets, so why not try to grab a guaranteed revenue stream for as long as possible?

3. To try to get rid of the perpetual price shoppers/service jumpers who constantly try to play the carriers against each other regardless of quality of signal strength, coverage, etc. -- like this mentality, for example: I try to get rid of pure price shoppers in my own business too since they typically end up costing waaay more in service requirements and hassles than than you gain from them in profits.

I personally don't see it as that big of a deal unless you're someone who churns phones and carriers. In fact, I never even knew VZW offered a 1-Yr option anyway and I've been with them for nearly 10 years (not that it mattered since I have no interest in switching carriers anyway).
    I think in large part you are correct, but I look at it more simply:

Money.

First, one-year contracts were barely a break even for the carrier even with less subsidy on the equipment. Second, equipment is getting more expensive for a variety of reasons, mostly market and inflation related (and they're going to get more expensive which I'll explain at the end of the post). Third, VZW paid $10,000,000,000.00 ($10B so you understand the number) for the C-Block being used for LTE. That's money spent before a single tower went up. Fourth, the money spent to date to prepare and launch the first 38 LTE MSAs and another 130+ this year was done with an ROI in mind for sure. Finally, when you consider that the majority of consumers that signed one-year agreements were probably a significant minority, VZW doesn't lose much, because this policy does not apply to their major or national accounts.

As for equipment costs going up bear in mind these facts: China announced a 30-35% reduction in exports of rare earths. These materials are used to build virtually everything used today in modern society. Everything. I'm not exaggerating. Factor in that China is the source of about 90% of the supply that makes it to market and those commodities go up (everything from metals in circuit boards, additives to steel, components for glass, screens, batteries, plastics, etc). Battery output in Japan is severely hampered due to the earthquake. Production will be lower (and more expensive thanks to China) and advances will be slower. Lots of countries make batteries, but the technology driver is Japan. Finally, the US dollar is a 98-pound weakling right now. As the reserve currency that all these commodities get measured in, they get more expensive as a result. We won't see this happen immediately, the manufacturers participate in speculative market tools to help contain material costs (like airlines do with oil/petroleum to contain fuel costs) near term. But make no mistake, things are going to start getting really expensive going in to 2012. It's a near perfect storm of market reality and inflation.
    04-17-11 01:35 AM
    They didn't offer me one when I inquired. I was flat out told that they didn't offer 1 year.
    04-18-11 01:04 PM
    And not only did they *cut* the NE2 I heard they are getting rid of the discount!

04-29-11 08:07 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD