I bought a used Curve 8330 from eBay. The phone is in perfect condition, and I was able to activate the phone part on VZW (*228). However, when I go Verizon's BIS setup page to register the phone, I get:

Cannot create account:

This BlackBerry(R) device is not registered with your wireless service provider. Please register this device and verify that the URL of the current web site matches the one provided by your wireless service provider.

To register:

1. In the Application list on your device, click Options, or click Settings Options.

2. Click Advanced Options > Host Routing Table.

3. Click the Menu key and click Register Now.

If the error persists, contact your wireless service provider.
    When I view the Host Routing Table, where I would expect to see entries for "Verizon", instead I see entries for "Payless Cellular" which apparently is a local carrier in southern California that resells VZW's network.

When I do the 'Register Now' dance, it appears to succeed (since I get the registration message back from BIS), but the HRT does not change, and I'm still not able to register the device with VZW's BIS site.

I called VZW about this - they suggested that I download the latest OS update from their site and install that on the device. I did that, but the device still shows "Payless Cellular" in the HRT, and I'm still not able to register the device with VZW's BIS site.

I can exchange the phone for another one, but that would be my *fourth* exchange for this particular phone. The phone I have now is in perfect physical condition, so if there is any way I could get it working properly with VZW+BIS I'd like to do that and avoid another exchange.

Does anybody know how I can get this phone to pick up Verizon in the Host Routing Table and become a full-fledged VZW BlackBerry citizen?
    Last edited by seanubis; 09-22-09 at 12:36 PM.
    09-22-09 11:57 AM
    There is one way. Call VZW tech support. Ask them for information on having your device inspected & reflashed to VZW software.

It is free & should get your phone to work on VZW.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-09 01:00 PM
    There is one way. Call VZW tech support. Ask them for information on having your device inspected & reflashed to VZW software.

It is free & should get your phone to work on VZW.

I also wonder if provisioning the device in the RIM Relay would resolve the issue. He'd have to have it done with tech support anyway, but it might work.
    09-22-09 01:12 PM
    I also wonder if provisioning the device in the RIM Relay would resolve the issue. He'd have to have it done with tech support anyway, but it might work.
    This could work, as long as the phone is already entered into the VZW database.

09-22-09 02:36 PM
    This could work, as long as the phone is already entered into the VZW database.

I would think it is if the device was able to OTA. I wonder if he can make voice calls. OP--try dialing #832 on your phone and see what happens.
    09-22-09 02:43 PM
    I really need to stop skimming OPs at traffic lights - I completely missed that.

09-22-09 03:03 PM
    Thanks for the advice, everybody. I got a bit further with VZW support today, but apparently there's nothing that can be done. "Payless Cellular" *is* a reseller of VZW's voice services, but they said the BIS service is completely separate from that, and the phone cannot be re-programmed for use on VZW's data network.

I'm not sure I buy that 100%, but at this point I think it's easier to do another exchange, considering that it's a 50 mile drive to the nearest VZW store.

Thanks again!
    09-22-09 03:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD