Verizon is hands down the best wireless carrier available. I have had ATT, Cingular, Cellular One and T-Mobile. The network coverage and quality customer service is second to none.

The only problem that I have had with them is their stance on GPS. I owned a Curve and the GPS capabilities were locked down, unless you purchased VZ Navigator. Couldn't use Poynt, Google Maps, etc to their maximum capabilities.

Today, I purchased a Tour and was thrilled to see the GPS unlocked. Thank you Verizon for allowing that to happen. I am sure that your already happy customers are even happier.
    07-12-09 07:23 PM
    I heard that the Curve doesn't have a true GPS chip. It has an aGPS chip. It's an assistant GPS chip that uses the network's software in order to operate. The Storm and Tour both have a true GPS chip installed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-09 07:34 PM
    That is correct - full GPS can be enhanced by the addition of aGPS, but aGPS can be standalone, without full GPS.

This is where the confusion always was. If there were devices that has aGPS and could work on their own, without network assistance, why didn't the aGPS on a Curve work? Curve had aGPS without autonomous GPS capability. Storm/Tour has autonomous GPS with aGPS added for faster response.

Just a bit of advice - your battery life will be adversely affected if you leave your location on all the time.

07-12-09 08:25 PM
    That is correct - full GPS can be enhanced by the addition of aGPS, but aGPS can be standalone, without full GPS.

This is where the confusion always was. If there were devices that has aGPS and could work on their own, without network assistance, why didn't the aGPS on a Curve work? Curve had aGPS without autonomous GPS capability. Storm/Tour has autonomous GPS with aGPS added for faster response.

Just a bit of advice - your battery life will be adversely affected if you leave your location on all the time.

Does leaving location on affect the battery life of the Curve, or just the Storm and Tour?

07-12-09 08:31 PM
    location aiding and every other bell and whistle in the GPS menu is on in my bold and it DOES NOT drain the battery
    if you're not using a GPS enabled application then the GPS chip is basically "asleep"
    care to elaborate on the "adverse affect"?
    07-12-09 08:39 PM
    yes but the storm was gps worked so it shouldn't be surprised but I'm glad your happy.
    07-12-09 09:10 PM
    What ru talking about.. I went to this app and they said its 9.99 per month.
    07-12-09 09:19 PM
    Does leaving location on affect the battery life of the Curve, or just the Storm and Tour?
    No - what the intended message was, regardless of what the AT&T fan-troll said, is that if you leave your GPS apps up with with location on, you will burn through batteries faster. If the app is fully closed, your locating system is effectively off. Many forget & just send the app to the background.

Apologies if I didn't make that clearer - but I do enjoy anything that gets the know-nothing trolls to show their true colors. Sometimes, since it is so simple, I even bait them on purpose.

What ru talking about.. I went to this app and they said its 9.99 per month.
    We certainly were NOT talking about VZNav or any other fee-based service. The GPS will function with a variety of software programs now. How you choose to pay for the software, be it $50ish/yr for MapQuest, $100-$120ish/yr for VZNav or Garmin, or Google (free with a myriad of privacy concerns), is all up to you.

Posted from my Troll-BaitingBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-09 09:46 PM
    I am most likely reading the verizon Tour specifications wrong but it appears that Verizon Navigator is included????

If you compare with/without camera on their site they list both as having Verizon Navigator - not just that the Tour is "navigator capable."
    07-12-09 11:15 PM
    I am most likely reading the verizon Tour specifications wrong but it appears that Verizon Navigator is included????

If you compare with/without camera on their site they list both as having Verizon Navigator - not just that the Tour is "navigator capable."
    They do have VZNav, as does the Curve. But like XM/Sirius radio on that new car, or AOL on your computer, you must activate & pay for it. But wait! AOL & XM/Sirius have free trials! Well, so does VZNav.

I believe it is still 30 days free, if you call to order.

07-12-09 11:42 PM
    Make sure you cancel BEFORE 30 days! They like to not notify you when the free trail is over and you start getting charged.

Twin- Good job explaining the GPS but it seem some people did not understand it. Maybe next time you could also write it up in Spanish or ebonics.....
    07-12-09 11:47 PM
    As I understand it (battery drain/pull) ANYTIME something is "on" or "running" it is using battery power. Don't know about blackerry yet, but a WinMo device can have things running unknowingly and pull battery.

As a side note CDMA devices, while roaming will also pull more battery. Again, as I understand.
    07-13-09 12:09 AM
    Make sure you cancel BEFORE 30 days! They like to not notify you when the free trail is over and you start getting charged.
    When you think about it, though, no one really does tell you when your trial is up if you've fully signed up. The only time they do is when you truly get a free trial - not pay anything - then to continue, you need to pay.

Get a free book with subscription! If not satisfied with your first issue, cancel & keep the book as our gift to you! But if you don't cancel, (and we won't be reminding you) we will continue to bill you & your offspring well into the next century!.

Twin- Good job explaining the GPS but it seem some people did not understand it. Maybe next time you could also write it up in Spanish or ebonics.....
    I wonder what language Neanderthals spoke?

07-13-09 12:50 AM
    haha! You are right, i should have clarified that it's not just Verizon.

(Grunts and scratches head while walking away)
    07-13-09 12:54 AM
    No kidding - don't want to give these guys more ammo.

07-13-09 01:42 AM
    No kidding - don't want to give these guys more ammo.

It's funny because their shooting blanks anyways! LOL!
    07-13-09 01:43 AM
    It's funny because their shooting blanks anyways! LOL!
    Trolls shooting blanks. That makes for a hilarious mental image. At least we know they aren't likely to reproduce.

07-13-09 08:31 AM
    What 3rd party GPS app did you try? Is Google Map able to get GPS?

VZW traditionally want you to pay for their own GPS apps such as VZ Nav. BB Map is unlocked but non of 3rd party app were unlocked for Pearl and Curve.
    Poynt, Google Maps all 3rd party apps work now.
    07-13-09 10:17 PM
    Hi...just got my new Tour. Love it but the font is too small when I use the internet...any way to enlarge what I am reading? Thanks
    07-13-09 10:27 PM
    Verizon is hands down the best wireless carrier available. I have had ATT, Cingular, Cellular One and T-Mobile. The network coverage and quality customer service is second to none.

The only problem that I have had with them is their stance on GPS. I owned a Curve and the GPS capabilities were locked down, unless you purchased VZ Navigator. Couldn't use Poynt, Google Maps, etc to their maximum capabilities.

Today, I purchased a Tour and was thrilled to see the GPS unlocked. Thank you Verizon for allowing that to happen. I am sure that your already happy customers are even happier.
    That's good to know. I know it was a pain when I had my pearl, and when I first got my storm. I would use phone based geocaching apps, but how can I when Verizon is so goofy with their GPS. Yes, they want to make money on the navigator, but GPS technology does other cool stuff, like geo tagging pics and tweets.

07-14-09 12:56 AM
    Poynt, Google Maps all 3rd party apps work now.
    What magical land of fantasy do you live in, and can I get a service plan there? There are NO 3rd party apps that will let you access GPS on a VZW Curve 8330 without paying a monthly subscription fee(i.e. VZ navigator). This is why I'm so pissed off at VZW right now, I've been a loyal customer for over 5 years, I asked all kinds of questions before deciding to purchase my curve, I even specifically asked if the device could run GPS apps and they said it could. Now after I've purchased and am stuck with it for two years I find out that the only option is to pay another $10 a month for a crappy navigation program, or to purchase and carry around a bluetooth GPS module. Can't use trapster, poynt, blackstar, speedOmeter or any other GPS enabled app I've downloaded and VZW refuses to even acknowledge that they've lied to me. As others have said, if it wasn't for the truly superior coverage area I would leave VZW in a heartbeat
    07-18-09 01:05 PM
    What magical land of fantasy do you live in, and can I get a service plan there? There are NO 3rd party apps that will let you access GPS on a VZW Curve 8330 without paying a monthly subscription fee(i.e. VZ navigator). This is why I'm so pissed off at VZW right now, I've been a loyal customer for over 5 years, I asked all kinds of questions before deciding to purchase my curve, I even specifically asked if the device could run GPS apps and they said it could. Now after I've purchased and am stuck with it for two years I find out that the only option is to pay another $10 a month for a crappy navigation program, or to purchase and carry around a bluetooth GPS module. Can't use trapster, poynt, blackstar, speedOmeter or any other GPS enabled app I've downloaded and VZW refuses to even acknowledge that they've lied to me. As others have said, if it wasn't for the truly superior coverage area I would leave VZW in a heartbeat
    If you have 4.5 os on the device you can use BB maps. ALso the title on this is for open GPS for Tour. It is also on the Storm and most likey every new BB that comes to VZW. Just my comentary.
    07-18-09 01:16 PM
    Forget the commentary. How about some fact?

Verizon advertises the Tour and Storm as having ASSISTED GPS and STANDALONE GPS.

For the Curve and Pearl, they advertised VZNAVIGATOR. In tech specs from RIM for these phones aGPS was noted. Not a thing about anything else.

The people who decided to ***-U-ME may be the same ones who can't tell the difference between a Tour thread and a Curve one.

I can't help but notice on the verizon site how the first few days the Tour was getting reviews that rivaled the excitement of a young boy and his first wetdream. Now over the last day or so the thing has been getting hammered as a piece of crap. People are saying they will go back to Curve or to another brand altogether.

It is cheap and built that way and are trounced by so called lesser phones even in parts of email handling and definitely in HTML. It is no wonder verizon has BBs separated from Smartphones. They no longer are smart to own or to buy and they are definitely out of the league of so many other devices

07-18-09 01:44 PM
    well i learned something new.
    i did not know that having the GPS on by itself would not drain the battery.

question though... whats the point of leaving GPS on if you arent using 3rd party apps?

i mean, i know for geotagging but besides that?
    07-19-09 12:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD