01-14-10 09:00 AM
34 12
tools
    i have been tying to solve this for a month.

i keep getting these texts:

//BREW:0606060E:AUaqiTGLa1dNLhl0xUEfKY62fgBr6tPRov&U =2168243&P=1145|TPresident Bush Gives G7 Update|R0|I886223954|YS|E123169|PVZW NBC|CN|S7264124|L378|H |

it looks like it's a news text alert but i am not signed up for any. i have checked the VZW and NBC websites to make sure i am not signed up with them.

any insights?

this has been happening since i got my Curve a month and a half ago.

Thanks!
    10-11-08 01:49 PM
    i had the same problem with my curve in the beginning how you fix it
    when you get the message type stop and send it might happen a few more times but after that it will stop
    10-11-08 01:59 PM
    I was getting brew messages after i went from a "phone" to a smartphone.
    I had signed up for accuweather alerts on my old phone and it took a while for them to stop after i switched (a month or so). Sounds like you might have signed up for cnn or something like that to get alerts and they don't come thru correctly when you don't have the native app installed with the new phone. I had to have the rep at the store look mine up and deactive the service, then it took a while to stop the messages.
    10-11-08 02:06 PM
    i had the same problem with my curve in the beginning how you fix it
    when you get the message type stop and send it might happen a few more times but after that it will stop
    i tried that. no luck. thanks though!

i'll try that again.
    10-11-08 02:09 PM
    I was getting brew messages after i went from a "phone" to a smartphone.
    I had signed up for accuweather alerts on my old phone and it took a while for them to stop after i switched (a month or so). Sounds like you might have signed up for cnn or something like that to get alerts and they don't come thru correctly when you don't have the native app installed with the new phone. I had to have the rep at the store look mine up and deactive the service, then it took a while to stop the messages.
    that is excatly what i thought! i checked the VZW site to make sure i am not signed up for text alerts. i also checked NBC because it says that in the body.

ok, i will try again and hopefully find the culprit!

thanks for the input, guys!
    10-11-08 02:11 PM
    These were not set up as "text alerts". I had a cell phone with an alltel native app called celltop with accuweather. I had setup the app with local weather alerts which popped up within the app itself. When i switched to a smartphone, the alerts were still being sent to my number but it showed up as a garbled "brew" message.
    did you recently switch devices? did you have any apps on a previous phone that you personalized? did this just start? Possibly someone setup one of these apps and "accidentaly" put in your number.
    10-11-08 02:24 PM
    These were not set up as "text alerts". I had a cell phone with an alltel native app called celltop with accuweather. I had setup the app with local weather alerts which popped up within the app itself. When i switched to a smartphone, the alerts were still being sent to my number but it showed up as a garbled "brew" message.
    did you recently switch devices? did you have any apps on a previous phone that you personalized? did this just start? Possibly someone setup one of these apps and "accidentaly" put in your number.
    yup, i've had my blackberry a month and a half.

i didn't have any apps on my EnV. i know about Altell's celltop but my EnV didn't have anything like to customize the phone. shoot!

so, where did you go to fix it? the only places i can think of are VZW site (where i checked if i had any alerts set up) and NBC. i never signed up through them.

how did you eventually solve yours?
    10-11-08 02:28 PM
    Mine didn't show up online as it is a free service. I was in store paying my bill and talked with the rep. He said it would take a while to process the stop, but he put it in and about 3 or 4 weeks later, they stopped. you just have to figure out where they are coming from and disable the alerts. you didn't get any alerts on your old phone or sign up when you first got your BB?
    10-11-08 02:32 PM
    Mine didn't show up online as it is a free service. I was in store paying my bill and talked with the rep. He said it would take a while to process the stop, but he put it in and about 3 or 4 weeks later, they stopped. you just have to figure out where they are coming from and disable the alerts. you didn't get any alerts on your old phone or sign up when you first got your BB?
    ok, yeah. i have to find the source for sure!

yes, i had text alerts on my EnV that's why i figured this is what that is. but for the life of me i can't find it! like i said i was on the VZW site and looked under manage alerts and i'm not signed up for any! i will text to to every short code on the NBC site! lol

i will have to keep searching! thanks for the heads up!
    10-11-08 02:35 PM
    What alerts were you getting on the old phone? That is where i would start. If you have already stopped those alerts, then how long ago? If it was recently, it may just take time for them to stop.
    10-11-08 02:43 PM
    What alerts were you getting on the old phone? That is where i would start. If you have already stopped those alerts, then how long ago? If it was recently, it may just take time for them to stop.
    CNN News alerts. however i stopped them about a month before i got my Curve in preparatin for my Curve the VZW website has a good way to manage, add and delete alerts. that is what i used.

so it's been about 2.5 months since i canned the CNN alerts. i had video alerts from V-Cast so i'll have to look into that. i'm pretty sure i cancelled all that but looks like i can't be positive! lol
    10-11-08 02:46 PM
    yeah, that makes it tough to turn them off, if you cancelled and they are still coming and you can't find out who...
    good luck
    10-11-08 02:56 PM
    i have been tying to solve this for a month.

i keep getting these texts:

//BREW:0606060E:AUaqiTGLa1dNLhl0xUEfKY62fgBr6tPRov&U =2168243&P=1145|TPresident Bush Gives G7 Update|R0|I886223954|YS|E123169|PVZW NBC|CN|S7264124|L378|H |
    Call #4357*
    Toward the bottom of the resulting info screen you'll see a BREW status. What does it say?
    10-11-08 08:22 PM
    WOW! What is this!?

It says:

BREW: not supported

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-08 08:24 PM
    That's what I show for BREW as well. #4357* is a useful help command. As far as I know, it only works on CDMA phones.

I found this link from earlier in the summer. It mostly confirms what you already know. The solution seems to be to call the carrier.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/brew-what-s-up-47025/
    10-11-08 08:27 PM
    Very neat.

Ok, i'll have to call a techie to look into it.

Thanks for the "secret" screen! Ha

10-11-08 08:28 PM
    I've found that doing a google search for unknown texts and calls coming from a specific unknown number is always very helpful and generally yields very useful results.

10-11-08 08:46 PM
    I've found that doing a google search for unknown texts and calls coming from a specific unknown number is always very helpful and generally yields very useful results.

Thanks. i'm pretty certain it's a text alert from my env. i just can't find where to turn it off!

10-11-08 09:06 PM
    I've had the BB Pearl for some time now...well the other day I purchased the LG Dare. I set up mobile email since it doesn't have the great email that the BB does. WELL, I took the Dare back and went back to the BB and started getting those Brew texts. What it was with me is the mobile email alerts. I had to call Verizon to cancel the Mobile email so the texts would stop coming every time I got an email.

What a pain!
    11-25-08 03:56 PM
    I've had the BB Pearl for some time now...well the other day I purchased the LG Dare. I set up mobile email since it doesn't have the great email that the BB does. WELL, I took the Dare back and went back to the BB and started getting those Brew texts. What it was with me is the mobile email alerts. I had to call Verizon to cancel the Mobile email so the texts would stop coming every time I got an email.

What a pain!
    ok, i am going to look into that. thanks!
    11-25-08 04:08 PM
    so i finally called VZW tech support and told her the issue and what i thought it was. i did have the MOBILE EMAIL alert still associated with my number! there is no way to take this off (after the fact) as it's not listed in VZW alerts online.

she went right in and found it and cancelled the alert! yay!

thanks, guys, for pointing me in the right direction! VZW tech support is also awesome!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/wei...3/#post1046418
    Last edited by chrisy520; 11-25-08 at 05:34 PM.
    11-25-08 05:28 PM
    Easy solution. Change your password! I changed mine, just had to go in and put the new one to continue receiving my emails on my new BB and voila! no more Brew messages.
    08-28-09 02:14 PM
    This was happening to me a few months ago. I just ignored it and it went away

08-28-09 03:17 PM
    Ugh.... I'm having this same problem!!! I texted stop....and keep getting them! I'm getting like 6-10 a day! I called my carrier and they said I wasn't signed up for any alerts or anything but then he said that somehow my number got signed up for spam??? And that he could block the number it was coming from but it would only last till december.. So he did it, but the messages dont always come from the same number so I'm still getting them!!! Verizon is no help! And the texts are really starting to get annoying!
    09-20-09 01:59 AM
    so i finally called VZW tech support and told her the issue and what i thought it was. i did have the MOBILE EMAIL alert still associated with my number! there is no way to take this off (after the fact) as it's not listed in VZW alerts online.

she went right in and found it and cancelled the alert! yay!
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/wei...3/#post1046418
    Ugh.... I'm having this same problem!!! I texted stop....and keep getting them! I'm getting like 6-10 a day! I called my carrier and they said I wasn't signed up for any alerts or anything but then he said that somehow my number got signed up for spam??? And that he could block the number it was coming from but it would only last till december.. So he did it, but the messages dont always come from the same number so I'm still getting them!!! Verizon is no help! And the texts are really starting to get annoying!
    See the post from Chrisy520. Call Customer Service again. You'll get a different rep. Explain the problem again and tell them what they did for Chrisy520. Maybe that will point them to the solution.
    09-20-09 08:55 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD