so i tried to post this in newbies but no answer

Let's say I go to a 3rd party application, like facebook, and I write on people's wall and send them messages through the internet. or reply to crackberry on my phone.

Do I get charged for a text message?

Thanks!
    12-26-07 09:23 AM
    If you are using internet data for whatever transmission or message, no. That is data.

Text messages are used by SMS, and very few messaging programs, such as OZ Instant Messenger.

Third-party application may use either, you need to make sure from the developer whether it is text or data. But most today DO use data.
    12-26-07 09:28 AM
    Yep that is all data. No SMS is being used.
    05-02-08 10:02 AM
    Mostly just the pesky IM programs to worry about. Why some of them don't use data is beyond me. =/
    05-02-08 04:16 PM
    If you are using internet data for whatever transmission or message, no. That is data.

Text messages are used by SMS, and very few messaging programs, such as OZ Instant Messenger.

Third-party application may use either, you need to make sure from the developer whether it is text or data. But most today DO use data.
    Does that include google talk? From what I can tell, programs like yahoo messenger, msn, and aim are all charged as text. (says so on verizon bb homepage) Doesnt say anything about google talk, but I dont want to find out the hard way. Is there an easy way to tell if these programs use data (MDS or IBBB) or SMS?
    05-03-08 04:03 PM
    Very good question.

Interesting discussion. . .i'll keep an eye on this - I do lots of texting . . .
    05-05-08 02:27 AM
    Does that include google talk? From what I can tell, programs like yahoo messenger, msn, and aim are all charged as text. (says so on verizon bb homepage) Doesnt say anything about google talk, but I dont want to find out the hard way. Is there an easy way to tell if these programs use data (MDS or IBBB) or SMS?
    If you use Verizon's IM program, then that does use SMS. If you use a third party application like Jivetalk, that uses data. No SMS.
    05-05-08 09:53 AM
    From what I can tell, programs like yahoo messenger, msn, and aim are all charged as text.
    I can vouch for that, at least the MSN Live Messenger app for sure. I assumed that would only use data. But after a couple sessions of using it, my curiosity got the better of me so I did a search on here and found a couple threads mentioning sms text usage per message. Checked my detailed online Verizon billing and sure enough, I've been using part of my text allotment for each message. Not a huge deal...I pay $5 for 250 messages. I only used 96 total this month so I'm not worried about going over. But to any other noobs out there using these IM apps....just because the PC versions go over the internet, dont assume your mobile versions do or it may cost you. Check into it to be sure. I'm going to look into Jivetalk now to be on the safe side. Seen several reccommendations for that app.
    07-12-08 09:30 PM
    jivetalk, google talk, and facebook use data
    07-12-08 10:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD