Alright... I'm sure this has been asked before, but with so many posts, and small patience, I thought I'd just post this and hope someone doesn't mind responding.

As we all know all carriers have a 160 character limit for sending and receiving. Some phones, depending on their carrier can type more that one page (160) at a time that when it's sent, is broken up to the limited 160 characters. These carriers for example are Verizon, T-Mobile ATT etc. Ones that won't let you type more than 160 in a page are Sprint...

Pretty much every Verizon phone that has text capabilities can type more than one page at a time and it just shows X/6 pages that you have left. This is all expect for the BlackBerry family.

ATT and T-Mobile's blackberries allow the multiple pages to be typed, and oddly enough on my Blackberry with Verizon, I can receive a message from someone else with over 160 characters but I can't type more than 160 without saving the first page as a draft, continuing my message and sending them all in order. At the top of the page it counts down how many characters I have left before stating "Field Full".

Is there a software upgrade or something that allows me to have the capability to type more than one page?
    04-02-09 09:05 PM
    A lot of ppl just use MMS instead of sending all those pages with SMS. There is an app called 3jam that is supposed to be close to threaded sms but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I hear mixed reviews on it so I dunno. Check it out and let us know what ya think.

3jam SuperText :: Your Free Text Messaging Inbox on the Web
    04-02-09 09:09 PM
    Where can I get that application?
    04-02-09 09:11 PM
    Just make sure that when you are sending an mms to someone they actually are able to recieve it. Like my girls iphone as of now, doesnt recieve mms messages so if i were to send her an mms with just text in it or for that matter a picture she would never get it...
    04-02-09 09:12 PM
    The 160 character limit is an SMS limitation. Some carriers have gotten around that with their own software changes, but it is often limited to SMS within the same network.

The fact you can't do it on your Berry is because the software on the device doesn't support it. You either need to find third-party software or send via MMS, as mwdb4au mentioned.
    04-02-09 09:12 PM
    Where can I get that application?
    The link is in my first post...
    04-02-09 09:14 PM
    Oh... tee hee, sorry about that. Been a long day - I see it now.

04-02-09 09:15 PM
    Some more insight on this topic...

The technical term for SMS over 160 characters is EMS "Enhanced Messaging Service" and is only supported by VZW's dumb phones and not any BB, Winmo, or Palm PDA.

VZW's EMS is only supported by VZW to VZW customers. Sending an EMS to another carrier will usually result in a error message. Not saying this is awlays the case, but it's the norm. I've dealt with customers complaining about error msg after sending a EMS in 2 parts but the recepient on other network still gets it.
    04-03-09 08:03 PM