05-09-08 08:43 PM
27 12
tools
    i was curious if verizon limits the texts to 160 characters to non verizon customers. cause that's how my current verizon phone(LG 8300) is.

my g/f has a curve from t-mo and when she sends me a long text, it's splits it up into multiple texts. same goes for a couple of my other friends.

so i was wondering, does verizon's curve send a long text as two or more, or do you have to go back through manually and send the rest of the texts???
    05-07-08 07:27 PM
    i was curious if verizon limits the texts to 160 characters to non verizon customers. cause that's how my current verizon phone(LG 8300) is.

my g/f has a curve from t-mo and when she sends me a long text, it's splits it up into multiple texts. same goes for a couple of my other friends.

so i was wondering, does verizon's curve send a long text as two or more, or do you have to go back through manually and send the rest of the texts???
    Unfortunately, you have to go back through manually and send the rest. Yeah, I know it's a bummer.
    05-07-08 09:14 PM
    Unfortunately, you have to go back through manually and send the rest. Yeah, I know it's a bummer.
    that sucks. i wonder why verizon does that. it's kinda annoying. but i guess it's what i'm used to. i was thinking about switching to AT&T cause of that so i could get a curve. but verizon's curve seems to have better features like video recording and the ability to play youtube videos. plus i heard it was faster. so i guess i'll just have to deal with the text issue. i wish they would change that though.
    05-07-08 10:38 PM
    I believe all Blackberrys are unable to go past 160 characters because they simply don't have that feature. But I could be wrong.
    05-07-08 10:51 PM
    I believe all Blackberrys are unable to go past 160 characters because they simply don't have that feature. But I could be wrong.
    Did you read OP, he clearly states TMO BB among others have this feature.
    05-07-08 11:11 PM
    Did you read OP, he clearly states TMO BB among others have this feature.
    It's late, I was skimming.

As I don't own a Blackberry just yet, I said I don't quite know. I remember somebody bringing this up, though perhaps they were only referring to Verizon.
    05-07-08 11:17 PM
    yeah my g/f has the tmo curve and it always sends two texts. some other friends of mine that don't have BB, but i think they have tmo as well, split up the text. maybe it's just t-mobile that does that??? idk. i don't know too many people with at&t, so i can't verify.
    05-07-08 11:37 PM
    what about BB messenger? since you will both with have Curves. Is there a limit on that also?
    05-08-08 12:12 AM
    just sent a loooooooooong test message, definitely over 160, to my girlfriend's curve on ATT and it worked fine.
    05-08-08 12:20 AM
    I was typing a text last night and it stopped me at 160 characters.
    05-08-08 08:28 AM
    what about BB messenger? since you will both with have Curves. Is there a limit on that also?
    i read that there wasn't. but i also read you need a data plan to use that.....which she doesn't have. i'm actually trying to talk her into getting one right now lol. doesn't look like it'll happen though.
    05-08-08 09:06 AM
    just sent a loooooooooong test message, definitely over 160, to my girlfriend's curve on ATT and it worked fine.
    I don't t hink that happened, and if it did you were is MMS or BB messenger....
    05-08-08 09:12 AM
    i read that there wasn't. but i also read you need a data plan to use that.....which she doesn't have. i'm actually trying to talk her into getting one right now lol. doesn't look like it'll happen though.
    I'm pretty sure you need the data plan for the BB messenger. I asked a CSR if the messenger messages counted towards the text message allowance and he said "no" because it operates through BB's server.

Yester18, it was through messenger. My post said "test" message but forgot to mention the messenger part.
    05-08-08 10:58 AM
    With At&t you can type over 160 words but it will send it in 2 diffrent text.

Which its better than having to open a new text window just to finish what u have to text!
    05-08-08 11:26 AM
    With At&t you can type over 160 words but it will send it in 2 diffrent text.

Which its better than having to open a new text window just to finish what u have to text!
    yeah that was the #1 reason i wanted to switch. and i would be switching if at&t's curve could record video and play youtube videos.
    05-08-08 01:01 PM
    yeah that was the #1 reason i wanted to switch. and i would be switching if at&t's curve could record video and play youtube videos.

Hopefully the new software (Official Version) will be up soon. So that way At&t curves can have video as well.
    05-08-08 01:45 PM

Hopefully the new software (Official Version) will be up soon. So that way At&t curves can have video as well.
    okay i'm sure this has been asked a thousand times, but let's go with a ballpark...any clue when that's comin? cause i can get the verizon curve as soon as i go home next week. i'll have to wait till mid to late june to be able to make the switch to at&t. honestly, i don't feel like waiting. but if the new OS for the at&t curve will make it just like the verizon curve, it may be worth the wait. hmmm, decisions decisions.
    05-08-08 03:04 PM
    You have to ask yourself which is more of convenience, the text feature or the video? And then go with that carriers device. When 4.5 drops, on AT&T you'll have the video and text. What will you have on verizon?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-08 03:29 PM
    You have to ask yourself which is more of convenience, the text feature or the video? And then go with that carriers device. When 4.5 drops, on AT&T you'll have the video and text. What will you have on verizon?

verizon's curve on evdo is still gonna be faster than at&t's on edge regardless of OS right??

cause i think that's really what it boils down to for me in the end. i've been dealing with the 160 character limit for 2 years now. so i guess i'm used to it...so i can suck it up for another 2 years. in my eyes, that's the only thing verizon is lacking in, the length of a text. i think i can live with that.
    05-08-08 04:27 PM
    I agree what the heck is wrong with Verizon??? I don't understand how they can have a 160 character limit on their PDA phones but on the Voyager and on the regular phones you can type 10 pages?
    05-08-08 05:38 PM
    Bizarre... If I understand rightly, when I send texts (T-Mob UK), it goes beyond the 160 characters amd let's me know that it has gone beyond into 2 messages for example. This text then goes to the recipients phone as one long message.

I also receive long text messages (beyond 160 characters), and it comes through as one.

Is this what you mean or are you purely talking about a specific carrier?

05-08-08 05:49 PM
    I agree what the heck is wrong with Verizon??? I don't understand how they can have a 160 character limit on their PDA phones but on the Voyager and on the regular phones you can type 10 pages?
    yeah i figured their smartphones wouldn't limit me like my current LG does. i think when i go talk to one of the people in the store next week i'm gonna ask them what the deal is with that. cause it's crap.

Bizarre... If I understand rightly, when I send texts (T-Mob UK), it goes beyond the 160 characters amd let's me know that it has gone beyond into 2 messages for example. This text then goes to the recipients phone as one long message.

I also receive long text messages (beyond 160 characters), and it comes through as one.

Is this what you mean or are you purely talking about a specific carrier?

i believe it's just verizon that limits their phones to 160. but when i get long texts from others it gets split up. but if i recieve a 160+ character message from another verizon phone it works like it should...one long text, no splitting up, no cutting it off.....makes no sense why they can't do that for every phone.
    05-08-08 08:34 PM
    Let's look at it from Verizon's point of view. If you have a lot to say and they force you to split it up in 160 character chunks they can get you to send a lot more then just one sms which equals more money for them if you don't have a plan or go over. It's a math formula to them. Make the limitation small to force you to use more then 1 sms to get your point across and make more money for them.
    05-08-08 10:41 PM
    When 4.5 drops, on AT&T you'll have the video and text. What will you have on verizon?
    a signal in places where i didn't with at&t or sprint. nothing else matters to me really.
    05-09-08 03:45 PM
    I have the Pearl on Sprint (waiting for my sCurve to arrive), and I'm limited to 160 characters also.
    05-09-08 04:16 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD