Hello, I'm looking at my first blackberry. I currently have a unlimited text/picture/video messaging plan. Will this work with a blackberry? or do I need a seperate messaging plan.

I'm also going with the 29.99 email/web service.
    03-23-09 02:34 PM
    Yup, the messaging plan will work. Most people recommend the unlimited data plan with BlackBerries (I know, $45 is a tough bite to swallow) ... but you can probably make that final decision after you've used it for a month.
    03-23-09 02:36 PM
    I thought that the 29.00 was unlimted data and web browsing.

If you don't mind, could you explain the big differences between the 45 and 29? thanks
    03-23-09 02:46 PM
    03-23-09 02:52 PM
    I thought that the 29.00 was unlimted data and web browsing.

If you don't mind, could you explain the big differences between the 45 and 29? thanks
    It is $29.99 for personal BIS use. Don't buy the $45 one unless you need to connect to a corporate BES.

Also, the data plan is NOT optional on CDMA carriers. To have a functioning BlackBerry, you must have a data plan. No getting around that.

On top of it all, you can get a text-message plan - don't buy more than you need.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-09 02:56 PM
    You should be totally covered
    03-23-09 03:00 PM
    with a verizon dumbphone ( i had the voyager) all i pressed was send after typing it. with the storm i have to hit the bbbutton then send. not a big deal though.
    if you tap the bb button twice it will send - dont need to tap bb then click send. just a tip, save you a second per text :0)
    03-24-09 07:05 PM
    if you tap the bb button twice it will send - dont need to tap bb then click send. just a tip, save you a second per text :0)
    Actually, it is pressing the trackball twice - pressing the BB button twice returns you to your text.

03-24-09 08:56 PM
    on the storm its the bb button twice, not sure what its like on the curve.
    only used the curve for a couple hours.
    sorry for any misunderstanding
    03-25-09 12:11 AM
    on the storm its the bb button twice, not sure what its like on the curve.
    only used the curve for a couple hours.
    sorry for any misunderstanding
    I guess that'd make sense. No trackball on the Storm!

03-25-09 12:20 AM
    Yep, the plan will work... but also look to see if you can get a discounted bundle that includes unlimited data and unlimited text. Saving every lit bit helps
    03-25-09 04:44 PM
    Saving is very important but I have the 900 minutes plus unlimited text (all) and unlim bb plan. Its my personal phone (no home phone) and I HATE going over. Its just easier and cheaper ( if you can believe it) to have it all (plus 5 friends/fam).

03-25-09 06:50 PM
    Yeah I've always felt this is a huge ripoff. Like there's no way to include texts as "data"--it IS data, but they need their money. I think it's totally unfair.
    03-25-09 06:51 PM
    Whoa I Totatlly Agree
    03-25-09 06:55 PM
    I hate when you go to mccdonalds and you can buy a sandwich for 2 dollars and they charge you extra for fries and a drink. They should through them in because they go to together

03-26-09 05:27 AM
    Best thing to do is get a plan that already has unlimited text/messaging along with with whatever voiceplan you decide. That way you only have the additional BB Data as the extra cost.
    03-26-09 10:04 AM
    Yeah I've always felt this is a huge ripoff. Like there's no way to include texts as "data"--it IS data, but they need their money. I think it's totally unfair.
    On the surface, it does appear unfair - but in reality, there are costs associated with offering text messaging.

Texts across the data channel, like IMs & BBMessenger are included. Text messaging, whether SMS or MMS are not carried on the data channel. They are carried on a subset of the voice channel & require separate provisioning & infrastructure. If you can make an argument that SMS/MMS are data, know that even your voice calls are technically data. All digital communications are converted to 1s & 0s.

Personally, I can't see why there is a per text charge except when texts are carried to other networks - there are inter-carrier charges for SMS/MMS traffic. Then again, that might make things confusing, hence the current pricing structure. The 250 min option is there with a fee to cover the interconnects & provisioning. All other plans include unlimited in-network texts, reflecting those communications that don't require interconnects.

Don't forget that if competitive pressures exist to push the price down, the carriers will renegotiate interconnect agreements and then reduce price. Also, what you pay is not solely to cover the cost of the individual message. Infrastructure, development, engineering, provisioning, customer service & maintenance must all be paid for.

Competitive pressure is not currently calling for price reductions and pricing is set based on the above costs coupled with what the market will bear. Pricing on both AT&T & VZW is similar if not identical and there are plenty of people willing to pay the going rates. There is no incentive to reduce prices currently. Where carrier reap bonuses is from those who get too much plan, often thinking they don't need to worry about their texts if they have say an unlimited package. So they pay $20 and send/receive 1000 texts in a month - about 30/day - but they don't pay attention to the fact maybe 2/3 of those texts are to other VZW phones. They could have the 500 message plan and still not use all of their allotment & save $10/month.

Now let's say tomorrow VZW & AT&T both decide to offer free texting on their networks. To do this & offset costs, they increase plans by $10. This would benefit those who pay for larger text plans, but would penalize those who text little or never.

I know there are carriers that offer free texting, but the costs are rolled into their rates. Many of them offer lower overall rates, but do they work reliably (and quickly) where you need them? If they do, why not switch?

03-26-09 01:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD