On the Blackberry email and BBM are data and unlimited right?

How about the other IM's do those come across as data or text?

Need to know so I can tell my daughter which to use to keep her bill down.
    10-13-08 08:20 PM
    Well, yes. BBM and email only use data. Most I'm apps utilize data and not text, but this is program-specific.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-08 08:23 PM
    So which IM's are data..Aim, Live?
    10-13-08 08:41 PM
    Yes those are data.
    10-13-08 08:45 PM
    depends on which prog she uses for themm. if she uses the vzw prog for aim, i think its called mobile im, then those use text. if you go to mobile.blackberry.com site and get aim on there i beleive those use data. i could be wrong. music shop cheap dj equipment at jivetalk.com uses data. i said screw it and just pay the extra 20 a month for unlimited text taht way im not counting texts and pay one flat fee lol. its not worth the agony to me.
    10-14-08 01:00 AM
    depends on which prog she uses for themm. if she uses the vzw prog for aim, i think its called mobile im, then those use text. if you go to mobile.blackberry.com site and get aim on there i beleive those use data. i could be wrong. music shop cheap dj equipment at jivetalk.com uses data. i said screw it and just pay the extra 20 a month for unlimited text taht way im not counting texts and pay one flat fee lol. its not worth the agony to me.
    I'm with you on that one. Just get the data plan and be done with it. Much more easier!!

10-14-08 01:22 AM
    I'm with you on that one. Just get the data plan and be done with it. Much more easier!!

I am kind of leary about doing that because she wants to be conscience of her spending. She is already taking care of the data plan portion and her 250 texts. If she wants to try and mangage it I am cool with her trying to be frugal.

I just want to provide her with other options so she can still enjoy the 'berry experience. As far as I know she only has one friend that has a 'berry and she is not with the same carrier as us. So I definetly turned my daughter on to th BBM in that regard.
    10-14-08 02:15 AM
    BBM and email use data. If you get the aim, yahoo or MSN thru the VZ site it uses texting. If you want to save the headache of going over on texting she can purchase jivetalk and use that for IMing thru aim and the others and it uses data not text. Thats what I use on my BB. I believe its $19 for the license on that one phone or $30 for a license that allows it to be used on any BB. Not positive on the pricing but I am sure thats about what I paid

10-14-08 05:09 PM
    I've said this before and I'll say it again:

Everything you do on a digital phone is data! There are 3 different types:

Voice, SMS/MMS (texting), and Email/Web (Internet).

Verizon muddles the term in their marketing and plan descriptions, so it's no wonder that people are confused. But, they bill you separately for each of these three types of data. Some are bundled and some are a la carte, depending on the plan you pick.

To answer your original question, I don't know about Verizon's AIM client but third-party apps like Jive Talk use the Internet, and are subsequently covered by the Blackberry Unlimited Email and Web plan. So are other applications like RSS readers, weather apps, and other background apps that use the Internet.

BB Messenger (PIN to PIN) is a bit different though. Not only is it covered by your BlackBerry plan, it's also immune from roaming charges. Unlike email, web, etc., you can use BBM to communicate to any other BB user on any carrier anywhere in the world essentially free. It's part of RIM's contract with carriers that provide BlackBerry-specific, non-voice data plans...which is virtually of them.

Unfortunately, it only works between BlackBerry devices and is incompatible with any other type of instant messaging. But it's very helpful for communicating with people who take their US BlackBerry's to other countries; you can stay in touch without incurring additional charges. I go to Mexico a lot and temporarily disable my email accounts, background apps, and don't use the browser. But I've chatted with people on US plans who are roaming in Europe while I'm on the beach south of Cancun and we've never been charged for it.
    10-14-08 05:54 PM
    To kinda smooth this out....If you go to the Blackberry home page on your BB browser click Applications then Staying In Touch. All the listed apps will use data. Right now AIM, ICQ, Windows Live, Google Talk, and Yahoo IM are all available. If you get them off the BB site then they are all data.
    10-14-08 06:36 PM
    This is to confirm that if you use the all-in-one IM app that Verizon has listed on their mobile BB portal site, it will charge you for an SMS txt message for each sent and received message. They so blow by making those types of programs. Damn nickle and dimers.
    10-14-08 06:59 PM
    Interesting. They might be charging you for SMS but is it using SMS?

IOW, if you're using the chat app(s) that VZW provides for BlackBerry's, can you talk and chat at the same time?

If you can then that's actually a feature, since SMS and voice are duplexed but Internet is not.

If you can't, then you have a solid point...

FWIW, I can't even get to the VZ Start page...again, so I have no access to even test it.
    Last edited by kwsmithphoto; 10-15-08 at 02:44 AM.
    10-15-08 02:39 AM
    To kinda smooth this out....If you go to the Blackberry home page on your BB browser click Applications then Staying In Touch. All the listed apps will use data. Right now AIM, ICQ, Windows Live, Google Talk, and Yahoo IM are all available. If you get them off the BB site then they are all data.
    Correction, those apps use Internet, via BIS.

Once again, everything is "data," it's all in how VZW bills you for it.
    10-15-08 03:01 AM
    there is not unlimited data but you would really have to be a total loser(hermit) to go over their allowance without tethering.

use the bb aim program like stated above. i think jive is still better, get the 30 dollar one, will save you a hissy fit when your current bb breaks and u get a replacement.

i did buy jive before this bb app came out though.

you should tell her to get better(blackberry) friends or if she is able to vote then she can be my friend.
    Last edited by KeithF40; 10-15-08 at 03:31 AM. Reason: cause
    10-15-08 03:29 AM
    My daughter has decided she wants to give up the Curve for an enV. This will allow her to get a text plan and still be 10 under the $30 data cost.

I guess it is all about the text!

Now I will be the sole Blackberry beacon in the house.

Rock on!!!
    10-16-08 03:01 AM
    Yes, your daughter will save $10/mo by getting an Envy because their Mobile Web plans for their BREW phones cost that much less than the BlackBerry-specific plans do for Mobile Web.

There are many reason why it costs less, but since she's a teen and doesn't need a BlackBerry to do serious work with, it seems like a wise choice in today's economy.

That said, this is a BlackBerry community, so if it doesn't work out for her, complain somewhere else. I know that phone, and I know how Verizon charges to use it. It's a little bit cheaper but it's not even close to what a BlackBerry device can do.

That said, it also has Rhapsody and V-Cast. Nice features, extra cost, so be careful with that and good luck.
    10-16-08 05:32 AM
    My daughter has decided she wants to give up the Curve for an enV. This will allow her to get a text plan and still be 10 under the $30 data cost.

I guess it is all about the text!

Now I will be the sole Blackberry beacon in the house.

Rock on!!!

Please do not let your daughter get the enV. Coming from an 18 year old who texts quite a lot, they are terrible. They are great for texting and messaging and what not, but when it comes to longevity I'm on my 4th, and its only been a year. The problems I keep having is the charging docks get unmounted quite easily. Personally I think its the jackhammer vibrate that's in the phone and if you receive a text while charging it really effects it. So I would advise you to check out some other phones, I have not tried the new enV2 or others because I will soon get the storm. Just do some research with your daughter is the best advice I can give you.
    10-21-08 09:23 AM
    I recently contacted T-mobile customer support for my gf, and they said that if I install the Gtalk app, it will use her SMS allowance SINCE she has a Pearl 8100 series phone. The rep then said, due to structuring of the BIS data plans, if my gf had a Curve/8300 series phone, it would be using her data instead.

I'm not sure how they differentiate the two.
    11-04-08 12:25 PM
    I'm on Verizon as well as the original poster. As far as I know, to have a blackberry with them you HAVE to sign up for their UNLIMITED Data Plan for like $29.95. So, technically, there should be no worries. Ive seen this question asked over and over on crackberry.com and other BB forums.
    12-23-08 12:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD