Yesterday, the FCC fined Verizon $1.25 million and said they could not block tethering apps. However, the article states that Verizon, as the purchaser of the C Block Spectrum "shall not deny, limit, or restrict the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the licensees C Block network." The article also states that Verizon uses its C Block spectrum for LTE. Since there are no LTE BlackBerrys at this point, does that mean BB users on Verizon can still be charged for tethering since they are not using LTE and thus are not using the C Block spectrum??
    08-01-12 11:34 AM
    I recently switched my plan to the Share Everything plan, which includes wifi hotspot, which I refused to pay for before...it remains to be seen whether I save money or not...anyway, I tethered my PlayBook to my BlackBerry and used its network data connection several times before the switch without incurring extra charges....It just used the data connection I was already paying for on my phone..of course, they won't tell you that, and I think its unique to the BlackBerry Bridge feature on the PlayBook...
    08-01-12 10:40 PM
    The people I just talked to at Verizon were still clueless about this FCC ruling. It seems they want to hook you up to broadband so that you can tether but you still have to pay a fee. I didnt want to give up my still unlimited data plan so I said I would hold off and keep my ears/eyes open to whenever the ruling gets implemented. I know I didnt answer your question about LTE. Re-reading the press release several times and I still am not sure about what it all means.
    08-20-12 08:00 PM
    Would be nice if there were some crossover somehow to ATT, r.e. blocking bridge and up-charging for hot-spot/tethering. i use the RRoyy Bridge and non ATT OS, but the fact the I have to is frustrating.

**** EDIT **** apologizing for inadvertent BGR page hit . . .
    Last edited by DocDRM; 08-20-12 at 08:35 PM.
    08-20-12 08:31 PM
    Most front-line customer service reps have no clue about what goes on. They were given the books and told to follow the rules and guidelines set forth. Your "technical" question would have to be escalated management or system engineer level for a adequate answer.
    08-21-12 03:45 PM
    I actually did also talk to a manager. He was clueless.
    08-21-12 03:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD