Does anyone know if tethering your phone as an internet connection costs extra? It looks like att charges 30 extra for that and limits data to 5gb. I'm asking because that seems to be one of the great benefits to the Storm and paying $30 on top of the unlimited data plan seems outrageous to me. Unlimited data should be just that. Anybody that can give some insight would be appreciated.
    11-12-08 12:31 PM
    To tether it is $15 if you are on a BES and $30 if you are on a BIS. With the data plans you have unlimited data on your phone not on your pc.
    11-12-08 12:56 PM
    OK, here is my question. I called VZW the other day and inquired about tethering. They gave me prices of like $59.99 and higher. I would like to get rid of my home phone but I still want internet. We only use the internet for playing on Ebay, my wife plays pogo, and checking email. We do not download videos or music. So would the $30.00 plan work for that?
    11-12-08 02:57 PM
    If you use your deivce see pricing above. tethering 5GB max applies with .25 MB overage. If you go with a Aircard or USB modem this will require 59.99 per month and another line of serivce included. YOu would get a 5GB max with .25 cents per MB over.
    11-12-08 04:33 PM
    So would the $30.00 plan work for that?
    No, because it would be $60. $30 BIS plan + $30 tethering fee.

Plus unless you get a dedicated aircard, you would have to sacrifice a phone to tether anytime you wanted to use the internet. If you got an aircard, you would have to open another line which will require a 2-yr contract.

Cancel the home phone line and get cable internet or naked (dry-loop) DSL. It will be cheaper.
    11-12-08 07:00 PM
    What if you were on the International Data Plan for $64.95 a month, then can you tether for free?
    11-13-08 02:42 AM
    To tether it is $15 if you are on a BES and $30 if you are on a BIS. With the data plans you have unlimited data on your phone not on your pc.
    I'm on BIS and only pay $15...
    11-13-08 02:28 PM
    I'm on BIS and only pay $15...
    For how long have you been doing this? I'm asking because I'm wondering if you got this setup before they closed the loophole in their system.
    11-13-08 02:49 PM
    It is $30 a month to tether and you are not unlimited. I would look into something else. The speed is not fast enough for pogo.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-08 02:56 PM
    You purchase the data package for around 45.00 (The one for BES) and the tethering is around an additional 15.00. The total equals out to be the cost of the broadband connection but you have unlimited data. My price is under a corporate package so I don't know what the normal verizon customer pays for this service. I use it all the time and love it.
    11-13-08 03:14 PM
    if your looking to get rid of your home phone number and possibly your internet. You should look at getting a cheap internet plan like Netzero for your wife and getting the tethering plan for yourself so you can use it whenever you want. and being that you do minimal things on the internet such as surfing the web and checking e-mails i don't think you will have a problem with the download/upload cap that verizon imposes when tethering
    11-13-08 03:24 PM
    If anybody from Verizon is on this thread, it'd be a useful (and popular/profitable) feature if we could pay for tethering access by the day.
    I don't need tethering at home, but occasionally on the road I find myself without viable Internet access. With my 3G phone sitting right there! Doesn't happen often enough to justify $15/mo. I'd be happy to sign up and be charged a dollar or two for every day I used tethering.
    12-08-08 11:13 PM
    If anybody from Verizon is on this thread, it'd be a useful (and popular/profitable) feature if we could pay for tethering access by the day.
    I don't need tethering at home, but occasionally on the road I find myself without viable Internet access. With my 3G phone sitting right there! Doesn't happen often enough to justify $15/mo. I'd be happy to sign up and be charged a dollar or two for every day I used tethering.
    You can, price plans and features can be added/changed daily without a contract extension. Just call customer service on the day/time you need it and then call to cancel it the next day. You will pay a prorated portion of that on your next bill. So like 2 bucks a day.
    12-09-08 01:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD