I am thinking about using/purchasing the tether application and wondering about phone calls when I am online. If a call comes in while I am online with my laptop....well it allow me to answer the phone call? With my job it is imperative that I answer my phone calls. Thanks
    09-05-10 08:50 PM
    Verizon uses CDMA which does not allow voice and data connections simultaneously. If you recieve a call while you have an active data connection it will go directly to voicemail. I had to get a datacard for my company laptop to keep my BlackBerry free for calls. Luckily my company covers the cost of the datacard.
    09-05-10 10:35 PM
    Actually, voice service trumps data service. So if you get a call, it will drop your data connection.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-10 10:47 PM
    Actually, voice service trumps data service. So if you get a call, it will drop your data connection.

News to me whenever someone sends me an MMS and someone tries to call they tell me it goes to VM. Learn something new every day. I guess it would work then in your case OP.
    09-05-10 10:57 PM
    When I have received a call while using Tether, it knocks me offline but only for the duration of the call. Once my call is over, I am back online. It hasn't happened often enough to know for sure that it will work that way every time, but that's been my experience so far.
    09-05-10 11:12 PM
    Verizon uses CDMA which does not allow voice and data connections simultaneously. If you recieve a call while you have an active data connection it will go directly to voicemail. I had to get a datacard for my company laptop to keep my BlackBerry free for calls. Luckily my company covers the cost of the datacard.
    Do you know if the global GSM feature of the Tour allows you to use both voice and data, or that strictly for GSM only phones?
    09-05-10 11:13 PM
    [QUOTE=trjnberry;5551310]When I have received a call while using Tether, it knocks me offline but only for the duration of the call. Once my call is over, I am back online. It hasn't happened often enough to know for sure that it will work that way every time, but that's been my experience so far.
    09-06-10 12:23 AM
    Do you know if the global GSM feature of the Tour allows you to use both voice and data, or that strictly for GSM only phones?
    In the US probably not. But now I wonder if the gsm while, say in Europe, would allow simultaneous voice and data?

The new 9650 Bold can allow simultaneous if you use wifi for data and then the phone works normally.
    09-06-10 12:38 AM
    I am thinking about using/purchasing the tether application and wondering about phone calls when I am online. If a call comes in while I am online with my laptop....well it allow me to answer the phone call? With my job it is imperative that I answer my phone calls. Thanks
    I have used tether since it was tetherberry. The data connection gets interrupted during the call, and then resumes once the call is ended. Hope this helps.
    09-09-10 02:01 PM
    I have used tether since it was tetherberry. The data connection gets interrupted during the call, and then resumes once the call is ended. Hope this helps.
    What HE said.
    09-09-10 02:36 PM
    You can also disable receiving voice calls with the desktop manager. Verizon told me that the tether isn't as fast as the broadband card and I asked for a more technical and specific explanation but couldn't get one so I don't know if that is accurate. For the price and the frequency I use it, it is fast enough for me

09-09-10 05:49 PM
    News to me whenever someone sends me an MMS and someone tries to call they tell me it goes to VM. Learn something new every day. I guess it would work then in your case OP.
    Who the eff was talking about MMS? I don't see that conversation here.
    09-10-10 02:08 AM
    Who the eff was talking about MMS? I don't see that conversation here.
    MMS uses the data connection. You have a Droid X don't you? Why you even in here? You're a j*rk by-the-way and I see it's a trend in reading your other comments. Ok I feel better now. I love BlackBerry
    09-12-10 10:33 PM
    MMS uses the data connection. You have a Droid X don't you? Why you even in here? You're a j*rk by-the-way and I see it's a trend in reading your other comments. Ok I feel better now. I love BlackBerry
    The thread is about "tethering on verizon", it has nothing to do with BB's or Droid's. And I'm a **** to dumb people only, what does that say about you? There now you feel better.
    09-12-10 10:56 PM
    The thread is about "tethering on verizon", it has nothing to do with BB's or Droid's. And I'm a **** to dumb people only, what does that say about you? There now you feel better.
    I'm putting you both in the corner. And MMS does use data too. Technically what it does is it drops quickly to 1x like when you get a text message, then it plops back to 3G rather quickly, and downloads the message. I'm not sure why it goes to VM though. But as far as the 1x drop, I theorize that it uses a SMS message to start, which requires 1x.
    Last edited by MisterObvious; 09-13-10 at 01:59 PM.
    09-13-10 01:55 PM
    I'm putting you both in the corner. And MMS does use data too. Technically what it does is it drops quickly to 1x like when you get a text message, then it plops back to 3G rather quickly, and downloads the message. I'm not sure why it goes to VM though. But as far as the 1x drop, I theorize that it uses a SMS message to start, which requires 1x.
    I call it how I see it. Just read all his comments and make up your own mind. I could go on but I have better things to do than argue with someone on an internet message board..lol
    09-13-10 11:54 PM
    I call it how I see it. Just read all his comments and make up your own mind. I could go on but I have better things to do than argue with someone on an internet message board..lol
    Obviously not!
    09-14-10 07:19 AM
    On the topic, I'm hearing mixed messages from verizon if I can tether to a mac. The problem I'm having is I am on the newest OS Apple offers and its not quite getting along. Vwz has told me 2 things about it.

Leaving me rather confused, and frankly upset.

Could someone lay out a basic 101 on it. I looked in the mac section but nothing was vwz related that I could find.

09-14-10 06:57 PM
    Its only available on the the storm 2, bold, curve 2 and tour with 5.x or higher while using vzam 7.1.5

09-14-10 08:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD