If i pay for and setup the tehtering service i was wondering what kinda dowload/upload speed i can expect.... with it be anything like the good wireless modems verizon sells? basically will i have broadband speeds and possible be able to do online gaming with it?
    02-16-09 09:33 AM
    Your particular device is 1x EVDO. So your download speeds will be between 400-700 kbps and uploads 60-80 kbps.
    Hope this helps.
    02-16-09 10:14 AM
    thanks, does anyone know if this is enough for online gaming? if the games matter it would be cod5 WaW and various mmorpgs...

i dont wanna start adding it to my plan until i can verify this as i dont want to have to call and take it back off the next day
    02-16-09 10:28 AM
    Please don't. You have a 5 gig limit. Just not a good idea.
    02-16-09 10:31 AM
    u can't play video games on a tethered cell phone. U have a 5 gb limit and a video game online is data sensitive and will eat that up in one session
    02-16-09 10:32 AM
    do the vzw wireless card plans have a data cap as well then?
    02-16-09 10:33 AM
    Indeed they do. Best bet is to find a landline DSL provider.
    02-16-09 10:36 AM
    Thanks, i have dsl at home.... just wanted to take my laptop up to work with me.... we have dsl just no wireless network and im not allowed to touch it
    02-16-09 10:39 AM
    No worries man. Hope it was helpful.
    02-16-09 10:46 AM
    Your particular device is 1x EVDO. So your download speeds will be between 400-700 kbps and uploads 60-80 kbps.
    Hope this helps.
    I actually see closer to twice that in my area with downloads near 1.1Mbps & uploads around 512kbps stationary, with some dropoff while mobile.

A sidenote. Chupacabra is an evil mythological creature. Chalupa is a Taco Bell creation. Is Chalupacabra a statement? I know Taco Bell is bad, but probably not inherently evil.

Although what they pass off as meat might be somewhat evil.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-09 01:18 PM
    HA! But yeah, you can expect up to 2meg bursts for uploads and upto 500kbps for downloads.
    Sounds like you're in an ideal area.
    02-16-09 01:41 PM
    Here's mine via Bluetooth:

Chicago

Orlando
    Last edited by 312; 02-17-09 at 11:00 PM.
    02-17-09 10:40 PM
    Very nice. I'd like to see results coming close to that on other carriers.

02-17-09 11:01 PM
    I've set up a lot of the Verizon and AT&T mobile devices for laptops and none of them have adequate speed if you ask me. I know what they advertise and it does vary by the area you're in. If you're in a high density urban area like the downtown area of a major city, you're likely to get some pretty decent speeds. If you're sitting at home in the suburbs, I'd say your speeds will typically come in somewhere between dial-up and you're average broadband connection.

I've used these, and I'd say the speeds are comparable to the 768/128 ADSL when it first came out, which is hardly adequate for things we do these days.
    02-18-09 01:23 PM
    I've set up a lot of the Verizon and AT&T mobile devices for laptops and none of them have adequate speed if you ask me. I know what they advertise and it does vary by the area you're in. If you're in a high density urban area like the downtown area of a major city, you're likely to get some pretty decent speeds. If you're sitting at home in the suburbs, I'd say your speeds will typically come in somewhere between dial-up and you're average broadband connection.

I've used these, and I'd say the speeds are comparable to the 768/128 ADSL when it first came out, which is hardly adequate for things we do these days.
    Then again...why the heck would anyone get this to sit at home???

02-18-09 01:29 PM

02-18-09 01:32 PM
    What is tethering? I haven't heard that phrase before I joined this board. Sorry in advance for the probably stupid question.
    02-18-09 02:03 PM

The original poster was asking about tethering and using it for gaming. If you want to tether it to a laptop, all I'm saying is don't expect to see great speeds. Some people like to double their phone as their internet connection on their PC when they are at home, instead of paying for additional internet from a traditional ISP.

Brian - Tethering is connecting your phone, which has a data plan, to your computer and using it as a connection to the internet. A Blackberry tethered to a PC is the same as buying a Verizon Aircard, which is nothing more than a phone that can't make calls.
    02-18-09 02:44 PM
    The original poster was asking about tethering and using it for gaming. If you want to tether it to a laptop, all I'm saying is don't expect to see great speeds. Some people like to double their phone as their internet connection on their PC when they are at home, instead of paying for additional internet from a traditional ISP.

Brian - Tethering is connecting your phone, which has a data plan, to your computer and using it as a connection to the internet. A Blackberry tethered to a PC is the same as buying a Verizon Aircard, which is nothing more than a phone that can't make calls.

Thanks for the explaination I appreciate it!
    02-18-09 06:10 PM
    Some people like to double their phone as their internet connection on their PC when they are at home, instead of paying for additional internet from a traditional ISP.
    Which is totally NOT cost effective when you can get DSL service from someone like AT&T for $20/month with unlimited bandwidth. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking tethering. (obviously, or I wouldn't have it)

I'm just warning people that it's not a good alternative to broadband as at home use.
    02-18-09 06:34 PM

This is with at&t, tethering with a BlackJack 2, 3 of 5 bars reception in 3G area. Just a matter of comparison for the poster who wanted to see other provider data. Upload speed is a little slower, but down is a little faster it seems.
    03-03-09 02:49 AM

4/5 bars of reception with a tethered Storm.
    03-03-09 04:30 AM
    What is tethering? I haven't heard that phrase before I joined this board. Sorry in advance for the probably stupid question.
    Tethering is using your phone as a modem to connect to the internet with your computer.
    03-03-09 04:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD