Hi everyone.

I just had a real quick question.

I am going on a trip tommorow and i need internet connection on my way down to my destination.

The trip will be around 6 hours.

I will be bringing my labtop and need internet connection while i go for work reason.

I currently have the blackberry storm with the blackberry 29.99 plan.

Is there any way i can tether off my storm for few hours?

Can i use VZmanager without paying for the tethering fee's for a day or do i need a alternate apps that cost 40+$?

Any help would be appriciated.

Thank you.
    05-27-10 12:51 AM
    You could call Verizon and add tether to your plan for a few days. I think it could be prorated for you.

Other than that, no.
    05-27-10 12:53 AM
    You could get a program like tether or something but I think it's safer (not to mention cheaper) to get VZW tether for a few days. It's prorated so you'll be paying a lot less than having to buy the Tether app. Plus you won't have to worry about violating the TOS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-10 02:14 AM
    You could get a program like tether or something but I think it's safer (not to mention cheaper) to get VZW tether for a few days. It's prorated so you'll be paying a lot less than having to buy the Tether app.
    But, if you pro-rate, you also have to be careful because they pro-rate the data you receive. You can't pay a partial month of tethering and still receive the 5 GB monthly limit.

Verizon also offers daily/weekly/monthly pay-as-you-go tethering packages.

The easiest way to add a tethering package is to download VZ Access Manager before you leave, then connect to your blackberry, and load up a web page. The splash page will give you your options.
    05-27-10 09:15 AM
    7 day Tether.com trial > Paying Verizon.
    05-27-10 01:02 PM
    Best advice in this thread ^^^^^ After the trial you can then wait for a sale of tether and grab it. Well worth the money.
    05-27-10 01:04 PM
    The latest version of Desktop Manager v5.something has tethering built in so there is no need to buy Tether.
    05-27-10 01:07 PM
    Does that now work for Verizon^^^? It has a user name and password option
    05-27-10 02:09 PM
    Use the tether free trial.
    05-27-10 03:19 PM
    Ioh that's right, I forgot that they pro-rate the data limit as well as the price. Thanks for reminding me.

In that case, tether may be a good option for you, at least the trial will last you through a weekend.

05-27-10 08:23 PM
    You can Check out Junefabric.com There is a 30 day trial it works on my storm
    05-28-10 12:53 PM
    This is a great suggestion. i use Tether on my VZW Tour and it works great. The trial is a good way to try it out for free.

05-28-10 01:00 PM
    i;m using tether right now... works like a charm... free trail is nice... but my question is... i noticed tether said your carrier may charge for using the APN... does that mean that even though you can buy the tether software that verizon wil still charge me for using that type of connection?? Im using it now and would feel better knowing that my service is not currently being charged... Anyone know??

thanks
    05-28-10 07:08 PM
    Ive used Tether on my Blackberry all the time and never had an issue nor did i ever have tethering as part of my plan with Verizon. Before that i used my Droid to tether my laptop on a trip from PA to FL and had no issues then either. I wouldnt stream movies from Hulu or try to download large files while tethering, but for casual browsing and IMing youlld be fine.
    05-29-10 12:40 PM
    The latest version of Desktop Manager v5.something has tethering built in so there is no need to buy Tether.
    ^^^"Helpful" mod needs to RTFM.

You obviously don't understand what Tether does. Yes, DM will physically tether your BB for Internet access, but it does not avoid access fees. Unless you have a tethering plan at additional cost, you get charged $.05 per megabyte... which adds up pretty darn fast.

Tether routes your usage through its own servers so the usage is part of your BlackBerry data plan & you don't need a separate tethering plan.

Tethering w/o Tether software or tethering plan = when your bill arrives.
    06-02-10 01:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD