03-29-10 03:29 PM
51 123
tools
    If you go to Verizon's site, they still call the plans "unlimited".
    If they mess with the data after 5GB, it is't unlimited.
    Forget about tethering or not.
    03-19-10 01:49 PM
    It doesn't say unlimited for tethering or broadband access.

Verizon Wireless - Mobile Broadband - Plans
    03-19-10 01:54 PM
    We've had enough threads on this.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    And the OP has the option to give it a rest.

In short, tethering is using your phone/device as a modem to get broadband access on your desktop/laptop. It is offered for an additional fee, and there is a monthly 5GB limit.

So you basically tell the OP not to post this stuff and to stop the thread....but then you go on.... Why do you still post here?

Internet on a computer is different than on a phone. Much more data is transferred when using a PC, thats why there is a difference in price and you have to have an additional feature to do it.
    03-19-10 01:57 PM
    But when using the Tether app to tether, isn't the data run through the handheld? That's why VZW can't tell if we tether using Tether app. i thought with Tether data is routed differently than when using VZAM. The BlackBerry data is unlimited, so if using Tetherberry to use BlackBerry data which is unlimited...what's the big deal? Does it make a difference if i use 9GB on my BlackBerry or if i use 9GB on my BlackBerry hooked up to a PC?

From the TetherBerry forum:

THEY CANNOT DETECT YOU!!! If you are using tetherberry, they just see you using your data connection. Using the data connection has NO LIMITS. Tethering where your laptop is connecting directly to the verizon EVDO stuff does have a 5G limit, but that is NOT using the data connection. Tetherberry uses the data connection. It has a driver on your laptop that redirect TCP/IP traffic to the blackberry over USB and that gets forwarded to tetherberry's servers to validate your license and to also do some things (I think it's because on the blackberry, the IP address isn't actually on the phone, but at Verizon and the APN is how verizon communicates with it, so you need to get to a non-verizon server)...which you do.

So, unless Verizon knows what tetherberry's IP addresses are (and they could use a variable IP address using DDNS if they wanted to, Verizon wouldn't even be able to do that.

You are perfectly safe and there is absolutely nothing that Verizon can do about it other than to limit your data plan.

03-19-10 02:03 PM
    I do not have a problem paying for the program to tether, of course I will do that. I have a problem paying $30 a month for 5GB when I already pay $30 a month for unlimited data. I use a ton of data via my blackberry because I am on the road a lot for my job. Whether I use that data on my blackberry or my laptop would not make a difference in the amount of data used. I would simply tether to my laptop because it is more convenient, but I do the same thing on my blackberry as I do on my laptop. My point was never that I should be able to tether for free, but once I buy a tethering program I should only be limited by my data plan on my blackberry, which is currently unlimited.
    03-19-10 08:34 PM
    But when using the Tether app to tether, isn't the data run through the handheld? That's why VZW can't tell if we tether using Tether app. i thought with Tether data is routed differently than when using VZAM. The BlackBerry data is unlimited, so if using Tetherberry to use BlackBerry data which is unlimited...what's the big deal? Does it make a difference if i use 9GB on my BlackBerry or if i use 9GB on my BlackBerry hooked up to a PC?

From the TetherBerry forum:

Exactly my point.
    03-19-10 08:37 PM
    You may want to use a laptop for data usage but even looking at the same sites the laptop pulls more data as it doesn't go for the mobile site first. I find I do a lot more on my laptop than on my blackberry.

If you've found your answer than go for it. But you do run a risk however small it may be. It does violate your terms of service and you may be charged. But go for it if that's what you want to do. Just please don't come back here ranting that Verizon might charge you. That's all.

03-19-10 11:46 PM
    i don't tether much because i don't own a PC But i did test Tetherberry to observe data use and the data that was used when using the Tether app showed up under my BlackBerry Unlimited Data plan, not the Mobile Broadband plan (like air card use does). So it was clearly using my BlackBerry data plan.

Granted, visiting a few websites on the PC did use more data than visiting websites on my BlackBerry. But the BlackBerry data is unlimited so it doesn't matter in my opinion.

i do agree that you run a small risk using Tetherberry. But how would VZW know? As stated above someone used 9GB from their Moto Driod. So it is possible to use large amounts of data solely from the device itself. i stream Slacker a lot (which is pushed my VZW) so i use a big chunk of data on my BlackBerry.

The only possible way i would think the carrier could tell if tethering using Tetherberry is if they look deeper into your account and see larger chunks of data being transferred within a specific session. But again, why would it matter if the data is routed via the BlackBerry itself and the data plan is unlimited? i don't know that that would cause any red flags.

03-20-10 06:49 AM
    i don't tether much because i don't own a PC But i did test Tetherberry to observe data use and the data that was used when using the Tether app showed up under my BlackBerry Unlimited Data plan, not the Mobile Broadband plan (like air card use does). So it was clearly using my BlackBerry data plan.

Granted, visiting a few websites on the PC did use more data than visiting websites on my BlackBerry. But the BlackBerry data is unlimited so it doesn't matter in my opinion.

i do agree that you run a small risk using Tetherberry. But how would VZW know? As stated above someone used 9GB from their Moto Driod. So it is possible to use large amounts of data solely from the device itself. i stream Slacker a lot (which is pushed my VZW) so i use a big chunk of data on my BlackBerry.

The only possible way i would think the carrier could tell if tethering using Tetherberry is if they look deeper into your account and see larger chunks of data being transferred within a specific session. But again, why would it matter if the data is routed via the BlackBerry itself and the data plan is unlimited? i don't know that that would cause any red flags.

The reason they don't want you to, is because they say so really. That's the only reason, why would they want a customer to use their Network Unlimited without paying for it? And I mean tethering, not BB data. They want the revenue...why is that so hard to understand. It doesn't come down if you feel you should be able to, its a business. DUH! Do you work for free? No. So It's only logical that they would not want to provide a service for free. If you owned a business, I'm sure you would understand.
    03-21-10 02:09 AM
    It's easy to spot VZW reps on here because they are the only ones that defend all of VZWs practices. It's understandable because 1) they write you a check every 2 weeks and 2) you get a sweet deal on your service and equipment. Your wholehearted defense of Verizon practices is understandable. When i had my $20/month employee BlackBerry i had less complaints about pricing too!

You don't have to own a business to understand capitalism and how the market works. All of us either sell goods or service (in the form of our labor). Consumers control business, not the other way around. Since there are other carriers charging less for the same service (Sprint, Tetherberry etc) we have the option of "shopping around" for the best deal and choosing what we think is a reasonable price for the service/product provided. The price will vary based on our demand.

They want to make money, we want to spend what we think is appropriate. i think it's appropriate to use the unlimited BlackBerry data plan via handset or attached to a PC. The data is unlimited either way since it's being routed the same way. We're not "using their network unlimited without paying for it." We pay $30 a month for unlimited BlackBerry data. Using Tether or the BlackBerry device is using data via the BlackBerry, and it is unlimited.

CrackBerry sells a product that looks like a laptop and you can attach your BlackBerry to it and lets you use your smartphone like a laptop (8 " screen and full keyboard). It "links to your smartphone via a USB cable or wireless Bluetooth connection and extends the BlackBerry interface giving you the freedom to instantly respond to lengthy emails, take notes or work on complex spreadsheets."

Do you support VZW charging us monthly for using that product also? How about those that paid for Tether (which used to be available in the VZW branded ap store up until last month)?
    03-21-10 05:13 AM
    It's easy to spot VZW reps on here because they are the only ones that defend all of VZWs practices. It's understandable because 1) they write you a check every 2 weeks and 2) you get a sweet deal on your service and equipment. Your wholehearted defense of Verizon practices is understandable. When i had my $20/month employee BlackBerry i had less complaints about pricing too!

You don't have to own a business to understand capitalism and how the market works. All of us either sell goods or service (in the form of our labor). Consumers control business, not the other way around. Since there are other carriers charging less for the same service (Sprint, Tetherberry etc) we have the option of "shopping around" for the best deal and choosing what we think is a reasonable price for the service/product provided. The price will vary based on our demand.

They want to make money, we want to spend what we think is appropriate. i think it's appropriate to use the unlimited BlackBerry data plan via handset or attached to a PC. The data is unlimited either way since it's being routed the same way. We're not "using their network unlimited without paying for it." We pay $30 a month for unlimited BlackBerry data. Using Tether or the BlackBerry device is using data via the BlackBerry, and it is unlimited.

CrackBerry sells a product that looks like a laptop and you can attach your BlackBerry to it and lets you use your smartphone like a laptop (8 " screen and full keyboard). It "links to your smartphone via a USB cable or wireless Bluetooth connection and extends the BlackBerry interface giving you the freedom to instantly respond to lengthy emails, take notes or work on complex spreadsheets."

Do you support VZW charging us monthly for using that product also? How about those that paid for Tether (which used to be available in the VZW branded ap store up until last month)?
    The biggest difference between the Redfly and a laptop is the browser. The redfly is just a larger display with a keyboard, the browser is still the same with the exception of the size of screen that you are looking at. A laptop does not default to a mobile site, and it does draw much more data. So you can't use the Redfly as a comparison.

If you want to do it, than do it. There are consequences of all actions whether you get caught or not. That's cool. A consequence may be you don't have to pay for tethering. Another consequence is you may end up having your service terminated and charged for overage since it's against the TOS. If you're okay with either of these consequences, you're good.
    03-21-10 10:50 AM

Now that is one INTERESTING product. I did not know such a device existed. For those interested, it appears to be a REDFLY device to make searching easier. I see they are out-of-stock on the larger unit. While not as versatile as a netbook since it is limited to using your smartphone's (BB, Win) software it could be just the ticket where data service is available and if browsing is your thing - you could do it on a comfortable keyboard and larger screen. Unless your smartphone supports streaming media, then you will not watch tons of video, I'd gather.

But, yes, how would verizon deal with this device - I guess it is BB-data gone large screen and keyboard so it should be perfectly legitimate.
    03-21-10 11:13 AM
    i don't use Tether enough to care either way really! But it is an interesting issue. i understand that when using a laptop you're using a different browser than uses more data. My point was if when using the Tether app it redirects the data to use BlackBerry data why does it matter how much data is used if the plan is unlimited?

i'm not that techy but from what i've read on Tether's site, that's what the app does. When using Tether app the data shows as BlackBerry data.

So, does using Bolt, which loads full sites, use a lot more data than using BlackBerry browser which usually defaults to mobile sites? i wonder how much. i use Bolt a lot. Maybe VZW thinks i'm tethering!

03-21-10 11:27 AM
    Ok Moderator. I do not defend or agree with everything they do, but you and others keep bringing this topic up and I was just trying to tell you why. I have NEVER seen anyone get charged for data used using Tether, but it is in the T&C's that it is not allowed. So VZW can and will do anything they please, if the need arises. Use Tether or other 3rd party apps all you want, it's not my account.

And so what if I work for VZW? What the **** does that have to do with it?
    03-21-10 11:50 AM
    ...I have NEVER seen anyone get charged for data used using Tether,....
    Now *this is good info! Thank you!

03-21-10 12:09 PM
    I have a legal background, and the fact remains that a class action lawsuit would impede Verizon's ability to affect people who attach their device to a pc.

An unlimited data plan provides for limitless usage, and a tethering application is merely transferring data over to another device.

Since a customer is already paying for that service, the carrier does not retain the ability to impede the flow of said data to another device, much as the Fair Use Act does not allow the data source to prescribe how a purchaser of the original media from copying it over to another media device.

IMO, Verizon would lose if litigated on this issue, and would be compelled to remove the language in the TOS related to tethering as it is vague, and interferes with other laws currently in effect.

Further, the White House and Congress are aggressively pursuing the increase of competition in the carrier/cable television marketplace, to bring the US in alignment with other nations with far better data speeds, customer service support, at far lower costs. This is primarily due to the lack of competition/monopoly power exercised by the dominant carriers in each section of the country.

Now that the health care bill has passed, this issue is expected to be a focus of Congress, and the Open Access movement is expected to implement a form of compulsory carry in the next 2-3 years.
    Last edited by BBuzer; 03-22-10 at 10:53 PM.
    03-22-10 10:47 PM
    I have a legal background, and the fact remains that a class action lawsuit would impede Verizon's ability to affect people who attach their device to a pc.

An unlimited data plan provides for limitless usage, and a tethering application is merely transferring data over to another device.

Since a customer is already paying for that service, the carrier does not retain the ability to impede the flow of said data to another device, much as the Fair Use Act does not allow the data source to prescribe how a purchaser of the original media from copying it over to another media device.

IMO, Verizon would lose if litigated on this issue, and would be compelled to remove the language in the TOS related to tethering as it is vague, and interferes with other laws currently in effect.

Further, the White House and Congress are aggressively pursuing the increase of competition in the carrier/cable television marketplace, to bring the US in alignment with other nations with far better data speeds, customer service support, at far lower costs. This is primarily due to the lack of competition/monopoly power exercised by the dominant carriers in each section of the country.

Now that the health care bill has passed, this issue is expected to be a focus of Congress, and the Open Access movement is expected to implement a form of compulsory carry in the next 2-3 years.
    Well this looks like good news for the consumer! Thanks for the insight!

03-23-10 04:50 AM

Then get to it if you're so certain. Certainly your "legal" background tought you that just because you don't agree with a law or contract term you aren't allowed to ignore it. As it is, tethering without paying for the tethering feature is not allowed and can result in termination of service and billing for the usage.

03-23-10 08:53 AM
    So you basically tell the OP not to post this stuff and to stop the thread....but then you go on.... Why do you still post here?

Internet on a computer is different than on a phone. Much more data is transferred when using a PC, thats why there is a difference in price and you have to have an additional feature to do it.
    I'm posting here because someone had a legit question, so they got a legit answer.
    maybe the wrong place the post this...what is tethering (in short)?
    Why are you such a fan of mine, you track everything I say...

Last edited by bluerskyes; 03-23-10 at 01:52 PM.
    03-23-10 01:49 PM
    I have a legal background
    And you don't think that VZW has lawyers that take care of these types of things. A contract is quite binding, and the Customer Agreement is a contract. Oh wait you said you had a "legal background", so even a paralegal would know this.
    03-23-10 01:54 PM
    And you don't think that VZW has lawyers that take care of these types of things. A contract is quite binding, and the Customer Agreement is a contract. Oh wait you said you had a "legal background", so even a paralegal would know this.
    In my experience, "I have a legal background" usually means "I have delivered sandwiches to a law office" or "I've had to go to court unwillingly very often" or something similar. If someone is a lawyer, paralegal or some other job with actual relevant knowledge, they would state that instead of a vague statement like "I have a legal background".

So FYI, I have an aerospace background, legal background, mathmatical background, literary background and economics background.

03-23-10 02:37 PM
    Someone needs to because you have been known to be a smart***!
    I know that I am, and I've yet to be wrong here.

03-29-10 08:00 AM
    I know that I am, and I've yet to be wrong here.

Yet to be wrong? Are you saying you have never been wrong on here? You are a forum troll who just likes to stir the pot every chance you get.
    03-29-10 08:44 AM
    Please keep the thread on tpoic and take fighting to PM.
    03-29-10 08:46 AM
    Please keep the thread on tpoic and take fighting to PM.
    Might as well close it. You have 1 person that wants to steal service(tethering) from VZW and a guy with 1 post trying to claim he is a lawyer. This went off topic a couple pages ago.
    03-29-10 08:48 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD