03-29-10 03:29 PM
51 123
tools
    I just spoke with a vzw rep today about tethering and was told that for me to tether I would have to buy the program through vzw and pay an extra 30 a month. He also said I would have a 5gb limit. I found this odd since I have an unlimited data plan and there are programs such as tetherberry that can be used. The rep told me that I can't use any other program except the vzw program. Does anyone have any experience with this?

-Anthony

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-10 02:57 PM
    They told you correct. Search Tether or Tetherberry and you can find more than enough threads on this issue discussed at length.
    03-17-10 02:59 PM
    You can not use Tether anymore. It is now considered breaking your customer agreement. So if you get caught using it you would have to pay for the usage.

03-17-10 04:09 PM
    Keep the tethering with Tetherberry low and you'll be fine.
    If you need to stream and download more, get VZW tether plan.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/my-...y-rant-401390/

03-17-10 04:12 PM
    Well that is a bunch of horse ****! I pay for unlimited data access; unlimited is unlimited! I am actually glad that it does work and I actually do not need to use their service; I am not going to pay more money for less data, that is just asinine.
    03-17-10 07:22 PM
    We've had enough threads on this.

03-17-10 07:25 PM
    We've had enough threads on this.

You have the option to not read this thread if you have had your fill.
    03-17-10 07:44 PM
    Unlimited Blackberry data is just that, Blackberry data. It does not include data to tether or this thread wouldn't exist because you would have been able to tether for free. So the only thing that is asinine, is another thread of "why do I have to pay for tethering".

03-17-10 09:53 PM
    maybe the wrong place the post this...what is tethering (in short)?
    03-17-10 10:31 PM
    And the OP has the option to give it a rest.

03-18-10 04:58 AM
    maybe the wrong place the post this...what is tethering (in short)?
    In short, tethering is using your phone/device as a modem to get broadband access on your desktop/laptop. It is offered for an additional fee, and there is a monthly 5GB limit.

03-18-10 05:00 AM
    We're just sick of the arrogance and ignorance of people like you. "Well my BlackBerry comes with unlimited data...so I'm gonna do just that." Well as SuperMario28 said, "yes you do have unlimited BLACKBERRY data..." not tethered data. You are breaking your TOS. Verizon is well within their rights to charge you for the MB usage and drop you.

To the OP: Yes, you can get away with using 3rd party apps like Tether. But you do run the risk of being charged overage if Verizon flags your account. The most basic rule of advice when using Tether: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK and don't come ranting that Verizon is unfair when/if you get slapped with overages.
    03-18-10 09:12 AM
    I wasn't being arrogant, I was simply checking with others about their experience since I had just switched to the Verizon network. I am certainly entitled to my opinion about the service, as are you. There is no need to post negative comments on a thread that asks a question just because you don't want to see it. I don't want to see your negative crap. Grow up, we are adults, act like it. If you don't like a thread I start then don't read it or comment. It is that simple.

03-18-10 11:28 AM
    My post was far from being negative. It states facts. You use Tether at your own risk and the whole thought of entitlement is off base.

Verizon has the right to charge and terminate your service if they flag you for overage because of Tether or other 3rd party tether apps.
    03-18-10 11:52 AM
    They should stop calling any of the services "Unlimited".
    They are, in fact limited to 5GB at highest data rate, then throttled.

"Call a spade a spade".
    03-18-10 01:07 PM

"Call a spade a spade".
    100% myth. A friend used 9GB last month and was not slowed or charged. Since he wasn't tethering, he has nothing to worry about.

03-18-10 02:44 PM

"Call a spade a spade".
    Funny thing is, the Email and Web plan has NEVER been advertised as Unlimited Tethering....so the misunderstanding is with you and many others. Just because people "feel" that it should include tethering, doesn't mean it does. All that's needed is a basic comprehension of English to understand this.
    03-18-10 03:10 PM
    I agree with you SuperMario28...like usual.

It's unlimited data as long as it is just from your handheld. The minute you tether (if you are paying for it like you should) you are capped at 5GB.
    03-18-10 04:11 PM
    Funny thing is, the Email and Web plan has NEVER been advertised as Unlimited Tethering....so the misunderstanding is with you and many others. Just because people "feel" that it should include tethering, doesn't mean it does. All that's needed is a basic comprehension of English to understand this.
    I never said it was unlimited tethering.
    Look at my post. It said 5GB data. Verizon had/has a policy of throttling users that use more than 5GB. They have said it at various times.
    Above 5GB your data rate goes down.
    So it may be unlimited but they start limiting your data rate.
    03-18-10 07:30 PM
    I never said it was unlimited tethering.
    Look at my post. It said 5GB data. Verizon had/has a policy of throttling users that use more than 5GB. They have said it at various times.
    Above 5GB your data rate goes down.
    So it may be unlimited but they start limiting your data rate.
    Again, no. The HANDSET data plans have always been unlimited transfer (aside from specifically limited plans like 10MB) with no overage or speed throttling. The ONLY plan that had a soft 5GB cap and throttling (and still do) are the older Broadband Access plans prior to the 5GB plans currently offered.

03-18-10 08:47 PM
    100% myth. A friend used 9GB last month and was not slowed or charged. Since he wasn't tethering, he has nothing to worry about.

How did someone use 9GB on their BlackBerry?!

03-19-10 06:15 AM

Stream 24x7?

03-19-10 07:55 AM

It was on a Moto Droid but the data feature is the same, email and web $30.

03-19-10 07:56 AM
    I don't understand any of the carriers 5gb limit when tethering and unlimited when not. If they are going to cap the tethering then don't charge extra for it! If you are going to charge extra for it don't cap it!

WTF $30 a month for 5gb of data is robbery. At least USC only charges $15 a month but the above still applies. Just another way for them to get your money.
    03-19-10 08:52 AM
    Yes, BlackBerries can be used as a modem (tethering) but it was not their main purpose. It is for the people who need to use a laptop and internet on the go for something quick. If you want to sit and stream junk or whatever, than get an aircard or DSL.
    03-19-10 09:14 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD