Howdy, the power went out here. I intended to drain the batteries of things in style, and might as well test a few things.... but no. I have a storm 9530 and an unlimited data plan. I have tethering setup and confirmed working just fine.

This time - I was booted to this proxy page when trying to use tethering:
    https://dunsp.vzw.com/selfProvisioni...sioningServlet

the internet gateway is now a proxy landing just like in a hotel when you have to pay additionally for wifi.

I'm not sure what to think about this yet. I already pay for a data plan. an UNLIMITED data plan. now I have to pay more?
    05-13-10 11:05 PM
    I that it always cost extra...I used to tether to my BB and had to pay $20 or $30 extra per month. Always annoyed me.
    05-13-10 11:13 PM
    Tethering is an extra feature. You have to pay for it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-10 01:26 AM
    There's the option to buy tether. If you wait until it's on sale it's a one time fee of $25 ($50 not on sale). Unfortunately, it's against Verizon's TOS, and may get busted. If that's something you're interested in, you may want to do a search on here regarding Verizon tethering and some horror stories and risks.
    05-14-10 01:54 AM
    You have an unlimited BlackBerry Data Plan, not a BlackBerry and Computer(tethering) Data Plan.
    05-14-10 02:15 AM
    Here we go again..

05-14-10 08:08 AM
    The Tether debate is like Evolution v Creationism! Strong opinions on both sides.

i use Tether. Works great, haven't had an issue.

05-15-10 05:06 PM
    Here we go again..

I left for like 3 weeks thinking "maybe things will be better" I was wrong.......first thread i see is this.

YES, YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR EXTRA SERVICES. That makes sense doesnt it?
    05-15-10 06:14 PM
    I left for like 3 weeks thinking "maybe things will be better" I was wrong.......first thread i see is this.

YES, YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR EXTRA SERVICES. That makes sense doesnt it?
    Yes, BUT.....

Since the Tether application is using the UNlimited data I'm paying for and I, personally, at least, do not use any where near the 5gig (unofficial) limit, then what's the "extra services" that I'm using or abusing? Yes, I realize the Verizon has a separate Tethering package but where's the harm in using my data anyway I want?

Yes, this topic will never go away just like the topic of why can't we use the gps in any application we want never went away until Verizon finally opened the gps on its newer devices. Maybe popular opposition helped and maybe the negative comments got Verizon to rethink the issue helped. Maybe they will realize the same about Tethering in some future life.
    05-15-10 08:48 PM
    ...regarding Verizon tethering and some horror stories and risks.
    Chrisy520 is right. It's a never ending debate, which is why I don't have the energy to beat this dead horse again. However, I'm interested in the horror stories you speak of. I've never seen any here on CrackBerry. None with proof pics of bills with overage charges anyhow. I've read a few, "I know this guy who..." threads, but nothing solid and convincing.

Do you happen to have any links to get me started?

05-15-10 09:09 PM
    Since the Tether application is using the UNlimited data I'm paying for and I, personally, at least, do not use any where near the 5gig (unofficial) limit, then what's the "extra services" that I'm using or abusing?
    That's where the problem lies. You have UNlimited data on your Blackberry. You can use 20 gigs of Blackberry data in a month and you'd be fine. Quite frankly, I don't know if it's possible to use that much data on the Blackberry in a month, but you are right, you have UNlimited data on your Blackberry.

That is DIFFERENT from tethering. That is not data on your Blackberry. That is data on your computer THROUGH your Blackberry. It's different, it's different, it's different. And that's why Verizon charges you more.

There are other options for getting data on your computer THROUGH your Blackberry, such as Tether. But you have to pay an upfront cost, and it technically violates your TOS.

What's frustrating is, while I too wish extra features didn't cost extra, they DO, and when people go above and beyond what their plans really include, they end up ruining things for everyone else. Remember when you could get phones without a data package but Verizon found it easier to require a data package so as to avoid overage charges? Well, the day is coming where they'll require a tethering package because people are going around the system.

Ok I'm off my rant. Tether away!
    05-15-10 10:15 PM
    It's free on my Alltel plan, which is now Verizon. I've been usuing it for over 3 years now without any kind o charge or overage.

Wanna take over my Alltel plan and get me out of this contract? I'm trying to cancel it without an ETF and can't seem to, Alltel was the best and Verizon has the worst customer service.

05-16-10 12:01 AM
    Yes, BUT.....

Since the Tether application is using the UNlimited data I'm paying for and I, personally, at least, do not use any where near the 5gig (unofficial) limit, then what's the "extra services" that I'm using or abusing? Yes, I realize the Verizon has a separate Tethering package but where's the harm in using my data anyway I want?

Yes, this topic will never go away just like the topic of why can't we use the gps in any application we want never went away until Verizon finally opened the gps on its newer devices. Maybe popular opposition helped and maybe the negative comments got Verizon to rethink the issue helped. Maybe they will realize the same about Tethering in some future life.
    Just be prepared for when all of a sudden you can't use any of services with your device and an ETF. I laugh at stupidity.
    05-16-10 01:31 AM
    It's free on my Alltel plan, which is now Verizon. I've been usuing it for over 3 years now without any kind o charge or overage.

Wanna take over my Alltel plan and get me out of this contract? I'm trying to cancel it without an ETF and can't seem to, Alltel was the best and Verizon has the worst customer service.

I feel your pain but Sprint doesn't cover as well as Verizon. Which plan do you have?
    05-16-10 02:12 AM
    I feel your pain but Sprint doesn't cover as well as Verizon. Which plan do you have?
    I have 2 Blackberries (8330 and 8130), 500 minutes shared, 13 friends and family numbers, unlimited text, unlimited pix, and unlimited tethering for $129.99 a month plus tax. I'm using Verizon's network, but this is an old Alltel legacy plan you can't get anymore.

I'm trying to get out of my contract so I can switch to MetroPCS, which will cut my bill in half. The 8330 contract ends Sep 2010 and the 8130 end Jan 2011, and Verizon will not let me out of it without paying the ETF.

This is why I singed up with Alltel, and NOT Verizon!
    05-16-10 04:04 AM
    Just be prepared for when all of a sudden you can't use any of services with your device and an ETF. I laugh at stupidity.
    That's the thing. No one has had this happen to them. It's always just urban legend of someone who knows someone who got a 10,000 bill. i was a VZW rep for 5 years and i never came across it. i even promoted Tether when i found out about it.

With Tether you're using the unlimited data, albeit in larger packets, on your BlackBerry. Unless you stream day and night and get the attention of a rep they'll not look into your data details.

i do agree it's an "at your own risk" activity. If i start seeing folks that were charged while using Tether with PHOTOS and proof, i may rethink using it. Not now though.

05-16-10 05:48 AM
    Verizon would charge you for the air that you breath if they could. T-Mobile is the only carrier that has free tethering.

05-16-10 05:59 AM
    Ok, beyond all this debate on whether it's against TOS, etc. What do we want? What would be practical for the customer and for the carrier?

Free tethering no restrictions
    Free tether up to a specific cap
    Cheaper tethering
    Leave it as it is

What would benefit the consumer and the company? Maybe someone should start a poll (i'm on wap). So that the reps can vote too and everyone gets their say.
    05-16-10 06:03 AM
    Verizon would charge you for the air that you breath if they could. T-Mobile is the only carrier that has free tethering.

i choose VZW for a reason that's good to me. i don't see them as an evil corporation. i'm not being forced to do business with them. There are other options for me. i prefer VZW.

05-16-10 06:04 AM
    I thought tethering was ALWAYS charged extra on VZW. This is nothing new here.

I am with T-Mobile b/c of this issue. I tether a lot and want it included in my data plan. So I am with the company that fills my needs.

05-16-10 10:22 AM
    You could always get a Palm Pre Plus, they offer free mobile hot spot, so you can hook 5 computers up for free. That is one of the reasons I went with the Pre, I was tired of paying the extra $30 a month.
    05-17-10 07:00 AM
    I had a customer come in today. Isn't it only like 15 dollars to add the tethering? I mean for all the 3g devices now you have to have the 9.99 plan for 25mb of data. and then for 3g smart phones you have to have the 29.99. But one of the CS reps said it was just a flat 15 fee for tethering. Honestly, that's cheap. Compared to sprints tethering...

Am I right? Or...
    05-18-10 01:43 AM
    Tethering is $30/mo on VZW.

Last edited by travelingfool; 05-18-10 at 06:12 AM.
    05-18-10 04:29 AM
    For a limited time, it is on sale I guess you could say

Verizon Wireless - Mobile Broadband - Plans
    05-18-10 06:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD