Well after using my MotoQ for 2.5 years as a tethered modem with the help of PDAnet (who said he is working on a BB version!), I paid the extra $15 to be able to access VZWs BroadBand Access Connect on my new Curve.

Well today, I just set up my laptop to dial via my phone without using Broadband access connect and it works just fine. Does anyone know first hand how the speeds compare? Does anyone use this WITHOUT the extra $15/month as I plan to cancel that soon and just keep the $29/month for unlimited BB plan.

I guess any other relevant info too would be appreciated

Thanks!
    06-09-08 03:05 PM
    I use my 8130 tethered. It sux. I can't stay connected while driving for more than 6 min at a time.
    I used to have the BroadBand Access connect w/ a PCMCIA card and that was flawless...but it was $60 a month.

Verizon is no help when you have to diagnose problems in this space either. Same**** different CSR.... pull the battery....delete the configuration and reset it up....all this so some no nothing CSR can keep their metrics up...i.e. first call resolution....so they get a good bonus or merit increase....you can't get to a backline engineer.....unless you are extremely persistent. If you are lucky enough to have a CSR OPEN a ticket...the backline engineers NEVER call you back. They just make notes in your account that they tried to contact you and leave it at that.
    It will work in a pinch but for the extra $15 a month the **** should work flawlessly and it doesn't.
    As far as tethering without paying the $15...I have heard that it can be done...but the three times I have tried in the past 2 months I was not able to get it to work. I'm guessing the VZW has closed the hole that allowed that.
    06-09-08 03:30 PM
    You have to pay the $15 for tethering on a blackberry. That will allow you to use either the access manager that comes with the phone or set up a dialup connection.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-08 05:15 PM
    You have to pay the $15 for tethering on a blackberry. That will allow you to use either the access manager that comes with the phone or set up a dialup connection.

So you need to pay the $15 regardless? Bleh! So far, the modem vs/ access manager seems slower, but its still early.

As for Chosens comments, I agree their CS is horrendous. I've had to settle some issues with the BBB which were quickly resolved then, needless to say I have some of their corporate contacts handy for future issues
    06-09-08 06:52 PM
    Did you mention you were stealing a $15/month service to the BBB?

06-09-08 07:26 PM

Nope I was paying for unlimited web didnt see the need to complain for something I was already getting

My complaint was with the PDA unlimited Text messages they had out when I first got my Q, it was free but when the stupid tech disconnected my Q instead of my wifes RZR that plan was no longer available and tooks months to try and resolve it.
    06-09-08 08:37 PM

If he's paying for a data plan and recieving content over the same network how is he stealing? You mean not paying VZ another "fee" to use his phone as a modem..Of course that would undermine their sales of wireless cards and additional monthly subscriptions!
    06-09-08 09:10 PM

LOL - of course not!
    06-09-08 10:26 PM
    If he's paying for a data plan and recieving content over the same network how is he stealing? You mean not paying VZ another "fee" to use his phone as a modem..Of course that would undermine their sales of wireless cards and additional monthly subscriptions!
    I have DirecTV, so if I found a way to get PPV for free, its not stealing either since it comes into the same dish?
    06-09-08 10:27 PM
    So if I go to the grocery store and tell them I want a gallon of milk I should get the same price if I get the gallon jug or 16 half pint containers? They're just charging a sales fee for putting it in a smaller container. Whaaaa!

You don't get to determine the terms and rates for service, the provider does. If you don't like it, leave.
    06-10-08 12:12 AM
    I have DirecTV, so if I found a way to get PPV for free, its not stealing either since it comes into the same dish?
    Is that a technical question or ethical question?..technically if you have the know how, then I feel hey thats your business to use that knowledge how you see fit. Ethically it isnt the right thing to do. But I will contend your comparison is flawed. Comparing a satellite brodcast signal to wireless data network is apples and oranges. I wasnt implying its ok to "steal" a signal off the network but rater its his "choice" use his "device" how he sees fit without having to pay another fee. I'm just making an arguement from a consumers point of view how in this case VZ is the type of company that will nickel and dime you to death for services that others will include or could care less how you use it as long as your paying the agreed price on time! I mean if it wasnt for consumer "demand" you think they wouldve changed their pricing plans to unlimited talk and messenging? If this or any company plans on attracting and retaining customers it would be in their interest to provide services and pricing plans that are enticing to the consumer.
    06-10-08 10:38 AM
    So if I go to the grocery store and tell them I want a gallon of milk I should get the same price if I get the gallon jug or 16 half pint containers? They're just charging a sales fee for putting it in a smaller container. Whaaaa! You don't get to determine the terms and rates for service, the provider does. If you don't like it, leave.
    How does milk compare? Unless you go to the store an they charge you extra to have that milk in a glass container rather than a plastic one? He is paying to recvieve ex amount of data content per month VZ does have a 5GB cap and charges for each mb over. If he gets the same exact amount of data under that cap what difference does it make it its viewed on his BB or on his laptop? VZ does this to prevent streaming and P2P sharing since they are still a lil bit punch drunk from the lawsuits a few years by the record companies.. I personally may not set pricing plans..consumers as a whole do..Long gone are the days of Fords old adage you can have a model t painted any color you wish as long as its black! Car compaines and any corporation for that matter spend tons of money on focus groups, research and marketing surveys to find out what the customer wants. Leave? never was there! I have T-mo unlimited data and use my BB tethered modem all the time..Just expressing my "opinion." This is a forum right? FORUM n. A medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper, a radio or television program, or a website.
    06-10-08 10:55 AM
    It doesn't make a difference if you agree with the fee or not.

Verizon charges $15 per month to tether. You are using that service without paying. You are stealing.

06-10-08 12:42 PM
    It doesn't make a difference if you agree with the fee or not. Verizon charges $15 per month to tether. You are using that service without paying. You are stealing. Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    why doesnt it make a difference if I agree or disagree? My agreement whether its just or not is just an OPINION...If you read what I wrote to Vulcan500Rider in regards to his directv analogy Yes I agree its unethical to steal anything, but whats wrong with stating my point of view that its ridiculous to pay an additional fee or VZ disable tethering when anyother carrier doesnt? If your happy with being nickel and dimed for every bit of service for the peace of mind VZ has the best network then that too is YOUR OPINION, and you can feel free to express it any way you choose as much as you choose!
    06-10-08 02:47 PM
    You are welcome to have an opinion that it's ridiculous to charge for this feature. That doesn't make it legal to use a paid service without paying though.

I think it's ridiculous the highway speedlimit is 35 in areas near my house. Doesn't mean it's ok to go 60 even if there are other highways that allow that.

If you object to the pricing, go somewhere else that provides what you want for the price you want. Don't be a dirtbag theif.

06-10-08 03:39 PM
    Once again its like were arguing balls and strikes...I agree its unethical to steal service and or products. I just wanted to point out the blatent greed on part of VZ by disabling features on phones that otherwise work on anyother network and then want to charge a fee. Trust coming from an inside perspective the first 3 points of VZ stategic imperatives are #1 Grow Revenue #2 Take share from the compitiion #3 Improve porfitability/increase margins...basically make all the $$$ they can, which isnt wrong in a capitalist free market economy. If you feel 35mph speed limit near your home is ridiculous are you gonna move? I dont think so, your entitiled to lobby your local lawmakers or the DOT to change it. Its your right as a taxpaying citizen. Someone obviously thought it was a good idea, but since no one spoke up against it, it got posted to the annoyance of you and im sure a few others..
    06-11-08 09:24 AM
    I think you're missing the point i'm making here.

It's fine that you don't agree with the $15 fee. I would like to not pay it either.

However it is Verizon's choice to charge it and if you want to use their service legitimately, you need to pay it. Using the service witout paying, is stealing.

06-11-08 12:58 PM
    ok we agree its theft, we agree company can choose to charge whatever it wants, we agree if we dont like it we can go somewhere else, we agree we both can state our opinions! can we agree that this topic has run its course? )
    06-11-08 10:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD