Does Tetherberry use your Verizons data plan? If so is it even worth getting since im paying 30$ a month for Verizons data/tethering plan for 5gigs which isnt enough for what I want to do.
    04-14-10 09:50 PM
    Does Tetherberry use your Verizons data plan?
    Yes

If so is it even worth getting since im paying 30$ a month for Verizons data/tethering plan for 5gigs which isnt enough for what I want to do.
    Its actually against your terms of service, so deciding if you want to use it is up to you...
    04-15-10 03:03 AM
    I don't know what you would be doing that would utilize that much data, but what's going to happen is you're going to burn through the data cap on your phone plan. Contrary to the "unlimited" tag they put on it, it's really a 5GB plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-10 12:58 PM
    Contrary to the "unlimited" tag they put on it, it's really a 5GB plan.

Ok. Keep telling yourself that.
    04-15-10 03:01 PM
    It is go ask a rep they won't deny a 5gb cap at the store

04-15-10 11:15 PM
    Ok. Keep telling yourself that.
    The blackberry data is technically unlimited. However, there is (from what I understand) a sort of "soft cap" on all unlimited data. If they find you going over 5 gigs, they're going to check out what you're doing with it to see if you're breaking ToS. If you're not, they'll leave you alone.
    04-15-10 11:35 PM
    Where does it say unlimited data? I was just looking at the verizonwireless . com and did not see the word unlimited anywhere.
    04-16-10 01:45 PM
    Where does it say unlimited data? I was just looking at the verizonwireless . com and did not see the word unlimited anywhere.
    You didn't look hard enough...try going here then use your eyes and look under Data Packages.
    04-16-10 11:11 PM
    I've seen posts from alot of people that have gone well over that 5 gig cap and have not been penalized.(not saying there isn't a cap) if you can find one with an unlimited data plan that has been, please post it. and im not sure if this applies to data but wouldn't that kinda be invasion of privacy, if they were to see what your using your data for ?
    04-16-10 11:45 PM
    You didn't look hard enough...try going here then use your eyes and look under Data Packages.
    ah see I was talking about the connect feature, not the data plan included with the blackberry. Re-reading the OP I see he is talking about going outside the Broadband Connect. My mistake.
    04-17-10 12:06 AM
    I've seen posts from alot of people that have gone well over that 5 gig cap and have not been penalized.(not saying there isn't a cap) if you can find one with an unlimited data plan that has been, please post it. and im not sure if this applies to data but wouldn't that kinda be invasion of privacy, if they were to see what your using your data for ?

What the cust service reps are able to see is the amount of time spent online and the amount of data transferred. The data reps can sometimes see the IP address of where you connected to. (most of the time its just a gateway IP thou) Im sure someone in the company might be able to see what you do with that data.
    04-17-10 12:09 AM
    Any tech support rep can see the ip addresses and ports you connect to in addition to connection length and bytes transferred. Its pretty easy to see who's tethering without a plan.

04-17-10 01:47 AM
    To the OP it's a pickle of a situation. You might get tether and hope for the best. you could then dump the connect package but there is no good solution to remain legal, VZW offers no options.

04-17-10 08:17 AM
    I'll try pushing my data limits above 5GB if I can just to see what they say. It would be fun. Any suggestions?
    04-17-10 11:51 AM
    I'll try pushing my data limits above 5GB if I can just to see what they say. It would be fun. Any suggestions?
    I suggest you be carefull... There is still a possibility you could get charged.... You wanna go over the 5gig cap ? Download like 8 full length movies that'll do it....still no one has managed to show me an instance of a penalty for exceeding that cap.. Not saying it's never gonna happen but I haven't read any complaints of it happening.... You might have to exceed the cap 6 months in a row for them to even say anything to you... Just an opinion....

04-17-10 12:57 PM
    Download iheartradio or pandora and stream about 5-10 hours/day for a month. That should get you well over the 5GB limit. I stream iheartradio on the droid for about a couple hours/day during the work week and average 3-4GB and have crossed the 5GB threshold a couple times. It's interesting that verizon has reworded their terms and conditions from this time last year as it now lists streaming audio/video for VZemail under permitted uses instead of prohibited. They also removed the "certain vzemail services" 5GB limit clause from under the mobile broadband/vzaccess section. It also looks like they renamed the 29.99 Email and Web for Smartphones/Blackberry to Unlimited Email and Web for Smartphones/Blackberry. Even though it says "unlimited", I doubt it's technically unlimited as they have the clause where they reserve the right to limit or terminate your service if they view you as having an adverse effect on their network. No one seems to know where that limit exists though.

I don't see a problem using 3rd party apps like Tether or PDAnet sparingly but I wouldn't go crazy on it or use it as my primary daily internet. Some have shown their usage meter well above 20GB and haven't had verizon breathing down their neck, but if you play with fire, you're bound to get burned.
    04-17-10 04:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD