This is probably a silly question but I was not how to compose a search that would have gotten the answer I'm looking for. Perhaps since Tether is on sale it might help some other folks too...

I got the deal-of-the-day email about Tether being on sale today - the idea of having an app like this to fall back on when my lousy Verizon DSL decides to crap out is appealing - but the user reviews left me with one or two questions.

I have a Curve 8330 and an unlimited data plan - will Verizon charge me extra to use Tether?

A few people said you can do this through your Desktop Manager and that I would not need to pay for Tether. Does anyone have a happy story about doing this? I guess you'd plug the phone into the laptop and bring up DM and connect? I don't use DM much so I'm not familiar with all it can do.

Thanks for any input. I want to decide whether I should buy Tether, or just wise up and learn to use DM...
    12-21-10 11:46 AM
    From what I understand Verizon charges to tether thru DM. I actually tried connecting when DM 6 came out until I realized it wasn't free.
    12-21-10 12:19 PM
    Thanks, that's what I thought I read somewhere else... after I posted this I waded through some of the flame wars on here about that whole issue of using Tether vs. the TOS on the Verizon website. Yet, as someone pointed out, the Verizon app store actually sells Tether. I can't tell by looking whether they then expect that you will sign up for some extra service to use it? Do they sell a hacked version I wonder, that won't run if you don't have the tethering option on your account? wouldn't surprise me...

Anyway I didn't want to open a whole can of worms here, which I now see I might have done...
    12-21-10 12:46 PM
    Tether is a one time fee.
    VZW tethering is a monthly fee.

Go with Tether app. Great app, no one has been charged overages using this app. Keep it under 5gb a month.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-10 06:07 PM
    I have been using Tether for almost a year now. And I have gone over 5gb is use several times. On the VZW phone data plans, which is what tether connects thru, Unlimited actually means unlimited. I had a mobile broadband air card for a while before going with Tether, 60 a month and it had the 5gb cap. It was faster and I was able to download torrents with it, but tether is a more economic way to get internet if you travel a lot.

12-29-10 09:05 AM
    Well all of that is not allowed with verizon, just to be warned. I personally use tether almost everyday to start off but verizon says that you are not allowed to use their data for tethering, p2p or streaming movies. I don't think I have ever listened to that but something to be warned about. They to my knowledge don't do anything that would have them charging me for doing that as a violation.
    5 gigs is technically the limit for verizon's data plans. They were caught and had to address publicly that they in fact had a limit. I know of people that can get to about 20 gigs with tether on their blackberry and nothing happens. Verizon does have a written note that unlimited really means 5 gigs but they don't do anything if you go over it.
    12-29-10 09:46 AM
    There is a lot of misconception about this. Look at your Verizon online account. Look at the usage, it says amount of KB's out of "UNLIMITED". If you have a Galaxy Tab or Mobile broadband its says Amount of KB's out of 5GB. Your phones data, for now, is Unlimited, Data for anything else was called Unlimited but it was really 5gb.

As far as using Tether being against ToS, before I bought it I called and the CSR told me she could find nothing about it. Now I know CSR's are f'ing morons, but that's what I was told.

12-30-10 08:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD