I am a long time Verizon Customer (7 faithful years). I recently converted to BlackBerryism. First via the the pearl. That affair lasted a mere ten days until I moved on to 'real' BB. They charged me a $35 restocking fee--all in the name of test driving the Pearl. I a bit taken aback given the CSR told me to take the Pearl and: "if you don't love it...come back and swap it out for the Curve." The restocking fee was never mentioned. Anyone else face this scenario?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-08 11:03 AM
    Maybe if you complain that it was never mentioned they might give you credit on your bill. When I ordered the Storm in store the Rep was sure to highlight the 35 dollar restocking fee that was clearly on the receipt.
    12-15-08 11:08 AM
    It was definitely on the receipt. However, you don't usually get those until the deal is done. I just wish it would have been made more clear before I paid and walked out with the Pearl. Otherwise, I would have just chanced the Curve from the get-go. I suppose the whole deal was glorified a little by the CSR--a deal with no restocking fee is much sweeter than with...no what I mean? :-D

12-15-08 11:29 AM
    that sucks we were told by one rep (who was very thorough) about it, the only way you wouldn't have been charged is if you completely canceled w/ verizon w/in your first 30 days of the new contract or used the phone for three days and less than 30 mins total. At least that is what the rep told us.

It seems like some reps forget some pretty important things when they try to seal a deal
    12-16-08 02:56 AM
    sounds like u can get that waived! I would just call 611, be very nice, and tell them that they did not tell you and made it seem like an easy test drive. Tell them that you understand the fees completely if u gave up the verizon service all together, but that u been with verizon for so long and have no intention of leaving them. I think 9 times out of 10 they will remove it for u particularly since u been with them and this is not a loyalty issue.
    12-16-08 08:42 AM
    Is everyone doing this or just VZW? I would think being a new phone customer, that would be a turnoff for me.
    12-16-08 08:47 AM
    if they are this confident about their service, you would think they would make it unconditional right?

But hey, they do have to restock a new phone so in a way it is understandable. Just imagine the ppl out there that'll do this just to have a phone for 30 days, lol!

As for this guys case, it really should be waived if he was offered a test drive already being a long time customer and still staying with them after the fact. I know they can't make regs for every scenario but thats y they have waivers. This would be a good time for that, lol
    12-16-08 08:53 AM
    Phone companies have to find new ways to get revenue. With all carriers now offering unlm texts, that killed a major revenue stream, and my guess is that data plans will eventually go down. Not up. My guess is that this restocking fee is just another way to put a few extra bucks in the bank and hopefully encourage better buying decisions.
    12-16-08 01:05 PM
    Is everyone doing this or just VZW? I would think being a new phone customer, that would be a turnoff for me.
    Sprint does not do it.

On another note - in this scenario, did you pay $35 to activate and then $35 to return - or is it just $35 once? I am getting ready to trial a Storm and probably would not mind too much about paying $35 once, but not $70.
    12-16-08 04:40 PM
    This is a recent development that is being driven by people milking the system, trying out a half dozen phones before settling on one. It used to be that the "Worry-Free Guarantee" was just that.

Unfortunately, once you take that phone, it cannot be sold as new anymore. The manufacturers used to eat the cost, but they are stopping this allowance. In an industry where price is such an issue, either these fees get added or the price of the phones go up for everyone.

For people like me who research before we buy, this is a good thing. For those who fall for the latest toy or succumb to sales pressure, this might not be so good.

This is manufacturer/contract driven and the smaller US companies(non-VZW/ATT), with less leverage, will be hit hardest.

It will be the norm at your carrier in the near future if not already.

12-16-08 05:16 PM