05-30-09 04:13 PM
27 12
tools
    I just got home from visiting my local VZW store, and I must say I am absolutely floored as to how I was treated.

I took my storm in this morning after dropping the kid off at school because I have been having data issues. My phone keeps losing its registation on the network and going to 1xev. Walked into the store and went over to tech. Explain the problem and hand my phone over to the guy behind the counter. He asks me a few questions ragarding my issue, then starts messing with the phone. So I walk around a bit just looking at phones and stuff while he is messing with it. After a bit he calls me over, hands my phone to me and says "I factory reset your phone, and that should take care of your problem at least short term. Be on the lookout for a firmware release in a couple weeks that addresses this issue"

I was literally at a loss for words. Not only did the guy wipe my phone without asking and checking to see if there was anyting important that wasn't backed up, but then sat there and lied to my face regarding some mythical software. From the insiders on this forum, nothing is in the final stages of testing at VZW, so how could this guy know the next release was going to fix my problem?

I walked out without saying a word. I had nothing to say that was nice at all. Luckily I have a backup from a couple days ago, and I sync my phone with outlook almost daily so there really wont be anything missed.

Coincidently, my phone lost its registration again on the way home. I am seriously considering callingmy contact in the executive relations department and speaking with them about it.
    05-18-09 10:52 AM
    Sorry about that. this may fix your data problem:

press ##000000 then send.
    scroll down to SIP password. Put in vzw
    press your bb menu key, then save.
    your phone will then reboot.

Hope this helps.
    05-18-09 11:20 AM
    I can picture this happening - the attitude is that they don't have to support anything other than the basic device.

I would do as msherro says & let the store manager know. Then follow MrsFAB's solution. If that doesn't work, you may have a hardware problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-09 12:03 PM
    Yeah I've tried changing those settings to no avail. Its fairly random as to when it loses its connectivity. My signal strength is great, it just seems to stop talking to the network.

Do you really think I should write a letter and raise a stink about it? Ive been in that store before and had no problems at all. All I really care about it my data service. This caused me to lose money last week when I didnt get an email until after the deadline and I lost a small contract.
    05-18-09 12:48 PM
    i think you need a new phone...and the tech didn't lie about the upcoming firmware release...he was telling you what he has been told.
    05-18-09 12:52 PM
    I really think you should raise a stink about it. Get the reps name and go to his manager. If he's doing it to you he's doing it to others.
    05-18-09 02:02 PM
    Just another reason why I won't shop at the stores. I have nothing but bad experiences inside the stores.

Maybe I should give one of the non corporate stores a try. Maybe being not owned by Big red would make a difference.
    05-18-09 04:13 PM
    Personally, I would throw an absolute fit if the tech wiped my phone. That's a ridiculous solution, and under no circumstances should he have done that without telling you.

05-18-09 04:29 PM
    Being a VZW tech I know the importance of personal data. I just can not believe that a tech would do that. But anymore nothing surprises me. Just goes to show all of us that we can not be too careful with our data. How many places do you have your blackberry backed up?
    05-18-09 04:36 PM
    Just another reason why I won't shop at the stores. I have nothing but bad experiences inside the stores.

Maybe I should give one of the non corporate stores a try. Maybe being not owned by Big red would make a difference.
    Most verizon techs are not that bad and most are raelly pretty good but store experiences are often horrible. Indy retailers might not offer official tech support but their people usually know more and can help with probs. I like the standalone stores like Wireless Toyz or the like. Never do walmart or bestbuy. They make even the verizon stores look good and that is hard to do.

05-18-09 04:55 PM
    WOW he wiped your phone? ROFL that is clearly insane. Like if he asked you that would be one thing but to just WIPE your phone MY GOSH.

like honestly when I take anything of mine into those people I stand over them like a hawk.
    05-18-09 06:33 PM
    What type of twit would wipe the phone clean without permission? I would have raised such a stink, they truly would have been able to "hear me now"
    05-19-09 09:33 PM
    Some of the people at VZW stores are horrible. Ive experienced that I consider some pretty poor customer service. It might not be a bad idea to consult the manager. Its interesting to note that most of the reps arent smartphone or Blackberry trained.
    05-19-09 10:51 PM
    Believe it or not, it is mostly Direct Agents who are not properly trained. From what I understand better than half the activations here in Phoenix are don by Indirects. We have to be trained better. People see us more often than Corporate.

Incidentally, there are only one or two things a Direct can do that I can't and they relate to the bill. AND MOST DEFINITELY DON'T BUY AT BESTBUY OR WALMART. They are all about volume not customer satisfaction.
    Whoa...corporate employees arent trained properly? We go thru 4-6 weeks of training on everything from general sales process to customer service. When i did work for an indirect there was NO training involved at all.
    05-20-09 03:50 PM
    Whoa...corporate employees arent trained properly? We go thru 4-6 weeks of training on everything from general sales process to customer service. When i did work for an indirect there was NO training involved at all.
    Trying to stay out of the back & forth on this one, but I have a question on the amount of training.

AT&T used to invest 12-14 weeks of initial training into long lines customer service reps. USWest/Qwest used to do 14-16 weeks.

What is the initial training duration for VZW telephone sales/CS/tech?

05-20-09 06:09 PM
    Believe it or not, it is mostly Direct Agents who are not properly trained. From what I understand better than half the activations here in Phoenix are don by Indirects. We have to be trained better. People see us more often than Corporate.

Incidentally, there are only one or two things a Direct can do that I can't and they relate to the bill. AND MOST DEFINITELY DON'T BUY AT BESTBUY OR WALMART. They are all about volume not customer satisfaction.
    Are Indirect contacts the same as going into a Corporate store and renewing your contract? I would assume prices are different?

I was told a long time ago (by my local Corporate store) to avoid no corporate stores at all cost. I can't stand doing business inside a Corporate store, and do all my business on line. However, I am a person who likes to support my local business community, and would take my business to them if it is not any different.

Also, If I buy something at an indirect, can they charge it to my VZW bill like I do online?
    05-20-09 06:34 PM
    I shop at my local Verizon store in East Peoria, Illiois. The staff there are absolutely awesome. I have never had an issue with them. They also keep me updated on new products coming out.
    05-20-09 06:55 PM
    Disconnect lines?
    05-20-09 09:35 PM
    I would have hat a total yelling match if they would have wiped my phone! Geez, what about third party apps that you have to pay for!

05-20-09 09:43 PM
    I think this guy just simply had bad luck with the tech though. Because honestly this story is fairly rare. Its the first I have seen it.
    05-20-09 09:49 PM
    I dont know... I've had pretty bad store experience on "several" occasions throughout NYC
    05-21-09 06:46 PM
    Well I think there is a difference between a bad experience and having a tech wipe your phone without asking

I dont know... I've had pretty bad store experience on "several" occasions throughout NYC
    05-21-09 09:22 PM
    I thought I would update since this discussion is still going on.

Yesterday I finally spoke to the manager of the store in person. I explained what happened and he was shocked and very disapointed. He said he would talk to his tech and go over proper procedure as far as protecting personal information. He said his store takes safeguarding personal information very seriously.

He offered me a discount off any accessory in the store, which I turned down. I told him I wasnt speaking to him in order to get something, I was just making sure this didnt happen to anyone else. I did mention that I was looking forward to the 9630 when it was released, and he said to give him a buzz when it does and he would see what he could do for me at that time.

Anyway, so I do think this was a freak incident. I wouldnt hesitate going back to this store (but maybe watching my phone a little more closely with tech...)
    05-22-09 12:08 PM
    Good job - a manager cannot fix what he/she does not know about.
    05-22-09 12:09 PM
    Agreed. You made the right move, I like your attitude too.
    05-22-09 03:36 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD