So vzw is developing a way to talk and use data simultaneously on cdma. Its being called Svdo, it sounds awesome as I love to do this when im connected via wifi. I can't wait until this is implemented, also I wonder if this will be available on existing devices or not. I would not be suprised if vzw is working on this because the I*hone coming in jan. Anyway, I can't wait. (For the Svdo that is!)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-10 12:25 PM
    Well LTE will allow you to do that as well.
    10-11-10 12:36 PM
    I know but since lte is going to be available late 2011 maybe this is a update to evdo for the meantime. I surely don't mind as im sure my dx does not have an lte radio

10-11-10 12:51 PM
    At the risk of adding fire to the iPhone rumor, one of the advertised (by Apple) features of the iPhone is the ability to use data and voice at the same time. If VZW is somehow adding that ability to CDMA (I don't know how, but...), then I wonder if it ties in to the iPhone coming in January rumor? I believe that was actually a sticking point for Apple with making a CDMA iPhone for Verizon before...

Edit: LOL, sorry! I didn't even read your whole post before I posted about the possible iPhone connection. I'm lazy today!

Oh yeah, where did you see this information?
    Last edited by ChuckH0308; 10-11-10 at 04:07 PM. Reason: oops!
    10-11-10 04:05 PM
    So if you tether you won't drop net anymore from a call or text?
    10-11-10 06:12 PM
    i got the info from this website. FierceWireless, they got tons of info. very informative

Verizon working on simultaneous voice and data for CDMA - FierceWireless
    10-11-10 09:02 PM
    i got the info from this website. FierceWireless, they got tons of info. very informative

Verizon working on simultaneous voice and data for CDMA - FierceWireless
    Cool! All I had seen was stuff from last year. Will be interesting to see how this all pans out!
    10-11-10 11:46 PM
    That does seem like an interesting development. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this as it develops.
    10-12-10 01:28 AM
    Good find, thanks! Hurry iPhone!

10-12-10 06:48 AM
    I know but since lte is going to be available late 2011 maybe this is a update to evdo for the meantime. I surely don't mind as im sure my dx does not have an lte radio

LTE for Verizon will be here late 2010 (as in, before the New Year). AT&T's LTE will launch late 2011.
    10-12-10 10:57 AM
    LTE for Verizon will be here late 2010 (as in, before the New Year). AT&T's LTE will launch late 2011.
    Where did you find this out? And how widespread will "here" be?
    10-12-10 12:15 PM
    Where did you find this out? And how widespread will "here" be?
    Verizon's LTE will originally be launched only in a few major cities like New York, Chicago, LA, (I don't remember all of them). From there they will continue to branch out throughout 2011.
    10-12-10 12:51 PM
    Yes, lte will be here in late 2010 but only for pc cards. Vzw clearly stated that no smartphone will launch with lte in 2010. Lte smartphones will launch in 2011. Also, I don't think the I*hone will be an lte device but rather 3g since its heavily rumored to be released in the first quarter of 2011. But we'll see.....
    Last edited by WhoolioPreludee; 10-12-10 at 01:15 PM.
    10-12-10 01:07 PM
    I do remember quickly skimming the 4G thread, but didn't pay it much attention because I didn't realize that 4G = LTE.
    10-12-10 01:12 PM
    I knew I had a hunch, the I*hone will be launching early 2011 with 3g only on vzw. Then in mid 2011 a gsm/cdma version will be launched (world-phone?) That means than a Lte I*hone would be here in 2012 the soonest. Also, "Vzw Communication President Lowell McAdam said in May that the carrier may launch up to five LTE handsets by the middle of next year, and that those supplying the LTE phones may include Motorola, Htc, Lg, and Rim"

Yes, these are rumors and speculations but FierceWireless' predictions have been correct so I will believe this. Here is the link for all to read

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/rumor-mill-apple-bypassing-lte-next-iphone/2010-10-12
    Last edited by WhoolioPreludee; 10-12-10 at 03:51 PM.
    10-12-10 03:38 PM
    I'm surprisesld Samsung isn't on the LTE list as one of the first. I thought they were one of the manufactyrers of the test phones for VZW?

But yeah, LTE will just be PC cards for awhile.

10-12-10 04:05 PM
    Question about this SVDO type: After reading the articles I still do not understand if this will be a hardware change on the new up-and-coming phones or if once the network hardware is updated it would be a software change on current phones to be updated by a Verizon push? This can be a big difference because if a new phone is required to use it seems like a waste of effort since the LTE updates will do the same thing.
    10-13-10 09:53 AM
    VZW 4G service is not expected to be fully deployed until 2013.
    10-13-10 09:56 AM
    Unless you live in a major city like LA, NY, MIAMI....

10-13-10 11:40 AM
    Unless you live in a major city like LA, NY, MIAMI....

That's why I said "fully deployed".
    10-13-10 06:31 PM
    Think of it as using the data only connection and skype for the call.
    CDMA as designed will not allow simultaneous data and voice. You will be using data only and part of your connection will be a phone call.
    10-13-10 07:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD