01-30-10 09:50 AM
62 123
tools
    The Droid is a rev-A phone which does support talk and surf
    It's not possible even with a rev-A phone. It's a limitation of the EVDO network (not necessarily CDMA) that prevents it. The only way you're getting both is to be connected to wifi. Verizon could opt upgrade their EVDO network to SVDO which would allow both but they're focusing on LTE.
    01-26-10 05:47 PM
    If you have WIFI and a WIFI Blackberry, you can talk and surf the web at the same time. I do it all the time at home with my Curve 8530!!! I would assume that the Droid can do it as well if it has WIFI
    01-26-10 06:21 PM
    You could use 2 phones.
    01-26-10 10:04 PM
    You could use 2 phones.
    haha! Sad but true!
    01-27-10 07:21 AM
    Talk and surf is possible on verizon. They have it disabled on the phones. 3 or 4 years ago I had htc 6700( can't remember what verizon called them) but there was a firmware fix that removed the block and you could talk and surf @ the same time. Verizon just recently disabled the block on the GPS so you could use bb maps or google map with the gps in the phone.
    01-27-10 07:23 AM
    Talk and surf is possible on verizon. They have it disabled on the phones. 3 or 4 years ago I had htc 6700( can't remember what verizon called them) but there was a firmware fix that removed the block and you could talk and surf @ the same time. Verizon just recently disabled the block on the GPS so you could use bb maps or google map with the gps in the phone.
    I wouldnt bar this from being true, however, I fail to see the reasoning why they would block this feature. On another point, I been on this site for years, and so far the concensus from intelligent people that are in the know, CDMA radios on rev 0 or rev A cannot do both data and voice together period. Rev B has been the only upgrade that can do that (SVDO) and from the looks of it, Verison is attempting to bypass that upgrade in favor of LTE. Its 2 steps back in order to go 4 steps forward (in my view)

I have seen official documents from QUALCOMM attesting to this fact of no data/voice on its CDMA chipsets. I also saw a brochure last year for the CDMA2000 chipset that was able to support data/voice together. However from my understanding, Verizon is not using them
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 01-27-10 at 07:39 AM.
    01-27-10 07:36 AM
    CDG : News & Events : CDG Press Releases

This is the main point of the link

"A complementary device enhancement known as simultaneous 1X Voice and EV-DO Data (SVDO) will also become available during the same timeframe and will enable CDMA2000 devices to access EV-DO packet data services while in an active 1X circuit-switch voice call. For example, users will be able to send emails or access the Web while on voice calls; phones with GPS can update maps or download real-time traffic information while on voice calls, etc."

It would be possible for Verizon to implement this, a software update is all that is needed.

CDMA Technology Advancing, Simultaneous Voice & Data Usage Coming Soon

The main question would be, is it worth it for Verizon to activate this since LTE is just around the corner?
    01-29-10 12:54 AM
    CDG : News & Events : CDG Press Releases

This is the main point of the link

"A complementary device enhancement known as simultaneous 1X Voice and EV-DO Data (SVDO) will also become available during the same timeframe and will enable CDMA2000 devices to access EV-DO packet data services while in an active 1X circuit-switch voice call. For example, users will be able to send emails or access the Web while on voice calls; phones with GPS can update maps or download real-time traffic information while on voice calls, etc."

It would be possible for Verizon to implement this, a software update is all that is needed.

CDMA Technology Advancing, Simultaneous Voice & Data Usage Coming Soon

The main question would be, is it worth it for Verizon to activate this since LTE is just around the corner?
    I would hope this would be viable options for a couple of reasons.

1. Turn off the ATT commercials about it

2. Since most LTE devices at release will be USB modem type devices. As these devices and soon (hopefully) after release of phones, will free up CDMA 1XEV bandwith and as this happens, there will still be older devices for sometime to come. This would be a nice feature for some.

Hope #2 make sence.
    01-29-10 07:54 AM
    I would hope this would be viable options for a couple of reasons.

1. Turn off the ATT commercials about it

2. Since most LTE devices at release will be USB modem type devices. As these devices and soon (hopefully) after release of phones, will free up CDMA 1XEV bandwith and as this happens, there will still be older devices for sometime to come. This would be a nice feature for some.

Hope #2 make sence.
    I too would like the AT&T commercials to vanish, Luke Wilson annoys me.

Verizon has already stated that CDMA will continue to be used until around 2020, so I hope that it is implemented, and soon. You're correct when you say older devices will be used, many could take advantage of this even after nation-wide deployment of LTE.
    01-29-10 01:11 PM
    from what I understand, even LTE capable of data and voice will not be available for a long time. Last I heard, LTE will only do data while CDMA will still handle voice. The merge to both over LTE will take far too long for Verizon to dismiss the data/voice feature.

As I've always said, it isnt a reason to switch, but it does put you slightly under the competition in some respects where it probably doesnt have to be.

Maybe the AT&T commercials are good for business. VZW can open its eyes and make it happen sooner rather than later. I wont switch for it, but I sure would love to have it
    01-30-10 09:42 AM
    from what I understand, even LTE capable of data and voice will not be available for a long time. Last I heard, LTE will only do data while CDMA will still handle voice.
    For the next few years the phones will have both cdma and lte radios, so we're going to have data and voice at the same time right? Both radios will surely operate at the same time...
    01-30-10 09:46 AM
    For the next few years the phones will have both cdma and lte radios, so we're going to have data and voice at the same time right? Both radios will surely operate at the same time...
    I guess your right. On another note, when LTE can do both, I think thats going to be the peek for Verizon as not only will form facter be enhanced (one radio for both), but also LTE speed, since right about that time, I think it'll be at its peek upload/download speeds which I hear is SICK

Exciting?
    01-30-10 09:50 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD