AT&T Tunes Cell Towers to Help SXSW Geeks | Epicenter from Wired.com

AT&T's 3G phone network was overrun by thousands of data-hungry iPhone users attending Austins South by Southwest tech and music conference, stranding many in the 20th century, unable to make cellphone calls, Twitter the status of their cocktail or find the best-rated barbecue joint via their Yelp iPhone app.
    "Dear AT&T, If we could break up, I would. In Austin, you're Chris Brown and I'm Rihanna," Giegerich wrote, referencing R&B singer Brown who allegedly assaulted his girlfriend, pop star Rihanna in February.

Asked on Monday on the show floor if things had improved, Adam Lavelle, who works for New York marketing firm iCrossing, said: "It still sucks. I can just imagine an engineer sitting in some room somewhere saying: 'How can there be so many ******* iPhones in one place?'"
    Goes to show you how your phone is only as good as the network it's on!
    03-16-09 08:38 PM
    Doh! I hate when that happens.
    03-16-09 08:39 PM
    Goes to show you how your phone is only as good as the network it's on!

Unfortunately, you could say that about every carrier. For instance, here is one of many:
    anyone else sick being raped verizon

The threads are numerous regarding issues with each carrier- not just At&t. However, interesting article and comments.
    03-16-09 09:20 PM
    Could I? I didn't link a thread. I linked an article.

The thread you linked has complaints regarding price. The article linked has documented issues with AT&T's 3g network and I can find many instances where it failed to deliver.

In fact the very first post of your "evidence" states:

Ok....this probly has been talked about before but I switched to verizon in december and their rates are astronomical...I mean they have great service and whatnot but between access rates..dropping new every 2...money is the name of the game but my gosh......

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-09 09:29 PM
    I have to agree here. For all the (true) arguements that the Storm was released half-baked, I can't help but feel that AT&T's situation is worse. There, the iPhone was released mostly completed (2.0 had some serious kinks for the first month or so), but on a half-baked network that was caught with its pants around its ankles. That AT&T hasn't caught up yet is somewhat troublesome, though in the spirit of disclosure, I've yet to have a problem using them in the Metro DC area.
    03-16-09 10:10 PM
    Could I? I didn't link a thread. I linked an article.

The thread you linked has complaints regarding price. The article linked has documented issues with AT&T's 3g network and I can find many instances where it failed to deliver.

In fact the very first post of your "evidence" states:
    Yeah, are you really trying to pick one carrier over another? Comparing at&t to Verizon would be similar to comparing apples to oranges. But, ok:
    Verizon CEO Positively Shocked That People Want Service! | Techdirt

Verizon slammed for 'chronically poor' service

State Accuses Verizon Of 'Willful' Service Lapses, Seeks FinesVerizon Communications Inc. Complaint - POOR SERVICE - Phone serviceRip-off Report: Verizon Wireless DEAD ZONE No Service, Poor ...

News Will Verizon listen? State agency wants feedback on service ...

Now, I could have googled TMobile, Sprint, alltel, and at&t and pulled up 10 pages of the same sh*t on those carriers as well. So, this has nothing to do with whether I like Verizon or not. Personally, I'm a glass half full - not half empty kind of guy. So IMO, whether published artcles or just rants- most of it is entertaining at best. But, we're still comparing apples to oranges.
    03-16-09 10:31 PM
    I can not view those links, unfortunately, the firewall prevents it. However, of course there is going to be isolated instances with each network. That is a given. However, AT&T has recongized the problem with their 3G & EDGE networks switching between each other sporatically even when stationary. This is especially true with iPhone users.

Anyone can go to rip off report and file a post, anyone can sue a company. **** Apple gets sued all the time. There is a guy in this forum who is threatening to open a class action on VzW for GPS "blocking."

However, I do not see how this is comparing apples to orange. They are wireless networks, they sell and market wireless devices. Seems pretty much like apples to apples to me.

More bars in more places? I used to have AT&T. That was a joke.
    Last edited by Weekendbum; 03-16-09 at 10:55 PM.
    03-16-09 10:51 PM
    Here was the situation in Austin, heavily simplified to make sure it is easily understood: beyond originally selecting GSM for a format, it wasn't AT&T's fault.

Okay - a little more detail.

Whether GSM or CDMA, cell phone service has a finite amount of bandwidth. Within that bandwidth is a set number of optimal "channels.". To make it easy to understand, we'll use a GSM number of 100 simultaneous "optimal" channels, or 100 simultaneous conversations or connections. With this in mind, CDMA, in a similar environment, will handle 108 simultaneous connections. Not a really big difference, considering that if every customer on a wireless carrier were to be on their phones at the same time, the network would crash. Carriers only maintain capacity for 6-14% of their customers to be using their phones at once.

Now here is where it gets fun. Take those channels & think of them as seats in a church. CDMA has wide aisles and lots of standing room, while the fire marshal limits GSM to available seating & no more.

Huh? What is he talking about Esther?

It is simple, really. GSM has a hard capacity limit. When those 100 channels are taken up by 100 connections, the 101st connection gets the network busy, please try again later intercept. Sometimes, there isn't even enough resources to provide the interceps, with the hard cap.

With our fictional CDMA scenario, with its 108 channels, what happens when the 109th connection is made? Traffic is compressed and the connection is made. This compression, like squeezing more people into those church pews and aisles, continues and, in some cases, can provide as much as 3X the optimal capacity, without anyone, except power data users really noticing. Beyond this point, call quality will start to degrade and would continue to do so until the signals are pretty much unusable. It goes from being crowded, hot & a bit uncomfortable in that church to the point where the fat ladies who just sang that uplifting holy-roller Gospel tune all need their place to sit & it is on your lap. But with a carrier like VZW, the signals would reach the point of unusability only in critical situations - the rest of the time, they have network overflows to reroute as much traffic as possible around the congested tower until the overflow subsides. Think of the ushers sending the extra Baptists for a second service in the lunch hall. Or the Catholics going to service on Saturday instead of Sunday.

This is one reason why AT&T customers regularly get no connection interupt messages or just can't connect - especially during certain busy hours of the day - and VZW customers can go years without this problem.

And this is what happened in Austin. Too many callers & not enough "channels" to handle the crowd. In large areas around here, VZW even sets up mobile towers to handle the traffic, so the local area's service is affected as little as possible. AT&T has mobile towers as well - the estimate is they maintain about a fifth the number VZW does and usually only deploys them for emergencies or for super-sized events like the Super Bowl.

Okay, so maybe choosing GSM does make the capacity issue AT&T's fault.

03-16-09 11:04 PM
    Awesome way of putting it. Although thinking of fat sweaty old church ladys did make my beer a little salty even if it did come out my nose! LMAO! Save that!

03-16-09 11:14 PM
    The last sentence sums it up . Also the fact that they do only maintain about a fifth of the mobile towers (COWS). The article stated they did deploye some COWS to Austin. No dice though.
    03-16-09 11:14 PM
    I can not view those links, unfortunately, the firewall prevents it. However, of course there is going to be isolated instances with each network. That is a given. However, AT&T has recongized the problem with their 3G & EDGE networks switching between each other sporatically even when stationary

. This is especially true with iPhone users.

Anyone can go to rip off report and file a post, anyone can sue a company. **** Apple gets sued a lot of time. There is a guy in this forum who is threatening to open a class action on VzW for GPS "blocking."

However, I do not see how this is comparing apples to orange. They are wireless networks, they sell and market wireless devices. Seems pretty much like apples to apples to me.

More bars in more places? I used to have AT&T. That was a joke.
    That's unfortunate about your experience on at&t. But, it happens. Some stick it out while others move on to other networks. Everything you've have posted is old(previously reported) news- the 3g > edge > 3g instability, and other 3g network issues due to the iphone. This is old, very old news. I've read it quite a few times on the net from current and "former" customers. But, I will agree with your reposting of some previously "documented and verified" issues on the at&t 3G network.

So,
    "The Fastest 3G Network".
    More Bars in More Places
    , or Verizons >
    The Lagest 3G Network
    are merely advertisement quotes like any other company- whether you agree with or like them or not. I really look at a lot of the advertisements as simply .................pause....................
    advertisement and nothing more. Nothing new or life altering about companies embellishing on the truth about their product or service.

You can look it up the links if it matters that much to you. I didn"t realize that you wanted to get into a p*ssing contest about your "former" wireless network. So, have at it and have fun. I drink over a gallon of water/day. So, I "eliminate waste" on a regular basis. Hmmm....... Apples to Apples? So, what do you have against oranges? Lol, simply put two seperate wireless carriers that are similar/different and are business rivals- that's all. Besides a fruit salad- apples to oranges, apples to apples, bannanas to cantelopes, it's not an issue to me.
    03-17-09 12:09 AM
    And there is one well-known fact that often gets totally lost, the iPhone uses a huge amount of bandwidth, so you get a bunch of them together, you have the equivalent of the 1st Marine Division receiving a keg of beer after being deployed 6 months. Just ain't enough to go around!

03-17-09 01:45 AM
    you have the equivalent of the 1st Marine Division receiving a keg of beer after being deployed 6 months

Too funny.
    03-17-09 12:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD